On countless amplifiers it says something like Master Volume 100w Mk II or something along those lines. I'm helping a friend find a good thrash amp and i considered him a JCM 800 2204 head and the one we found said it's a Master Volume Mk II 50w Lead Series from '89. Also, if someone can state the best year models of the JCM800's, that'd be great (want to know if the '89's models were any good). Thanks, and yes I did use the searsh function.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
The best year models of the JCM 800 are 1981-1984. The best models as a whole are the 2203-4.

Of course they are all great, so just buy what you can find. I wouldn't not buy one because its not made from a specific year.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Ya, I thought I heard somewhere that the 81-84 are the best but didn't marshall go back in 88 and start making them just like the ones from the early 80's?

Still don't know what Mk II, etc. means btw.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
I'm thinking it means the second 'generation', so to speak, of that specific amp model. Mk I is the first model, Mk II is a revision on that, so on and so on.
Bonchie, did you sell your combo yet?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by cokeisbetter
Dibs on it.

Sorry thredstarter, I'm going to invade your thread for a bit.

Coke, what marshall did you try when you had your first tonal bliss moment?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by cokeisbetter
JCM 800 It was awesome.

Lucky.

I tried a jcm 2000 combo...it was pretty nice cranked, I actually like the marshall crunch alot.

But man, I cannot wait to actually try out a 800...I hear they're a *inserts large number* better than a 2000.

Looking into buying one soon?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Mk 1 probably means "Mark 1", as in, first model, like on the early mesa amps. They started coming out with newer amps and labeled them Mk 2 and so on.
^ Yep, it means Mark. As in "build" one, two, etc.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
i guess mark means "version".

it's already been said, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jinskee
Lucky.

I tried a jcm 2000 combo...it was pretty nice cranked, I actually like the marshall crunch alot.

But man, I cannot wait to actually try out a 800...I hear they're a *inserts large number* better than a 2000.

Looking into buying one soon?

Could very well be the next large purchase after my new guitar. Maybe. I'm gonna look into some other Marshalls too.
Well the Mk's have with Plexis to do.
MKI: The JTM45, a copy of a Fender Bassman. It had a tube rectifier and KT-66 power tubes.
MKII: The Plexi. It had a solid state rectifier and EL34 pwoer tubes. These were carried over into the JCM800 line and used more or less the same circuit as the old Plexis. I have a MKII Plexi reissue. These are normally non master volume amps, but alot of people mod them with a master volume (ive done it) and it might do thrash but a JCM800 2204 or 2203 is alot better.
MKIII: A JCM900 series amp. It was a classic styled Marshall amp devloped from the JCM800 2203's and 2204's. It had an extra gain stage and two gain volumes (one for the standard gain stage and one for an extra gain stage) which you could use at the same time.
MKIV: The SL-X. Basically a MKIII with alot more gain. Aimed a thrash players.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009