Looking for a hotrail esc pickup for my American strat so I can play Some of my bands heavier stuff on my favorite guitar. Any suggestions besides hotrails? Need it to be in that price range also.

Another question, how much more "beef" am I going to get with a hotrail as compared to say an SG (my other electric)? I'm not going to bother if it can't do heavy distortion.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Quote by forsaknazrael
So what kind of music, exactly? Or what kinda bands would you seek to emulate? "Heavier music" is kinda broad.
Also, do you know if you guitar has a humbucker routing in the bridge?

We play alot of stuff, but our "sound" is progressive rock/metal. Think rush as far as the tone I'm going for. Heavier than that would also be good, but not necessary (think opeth )

And, no. It has 3 single coils. Thats why I want the hotrail.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, some strats are routed for humbuckers underneath the pickguard.
Is there anyway you can check? Try unscrewing the pickguard and just take a quick peek underneath. A humbucker in the bridge would help out alot.

I'll take a peek next time I change my strings

Thanks for the help.
a hotrail will sound kind of bright compared to some things. you might want two, to make a humbucker-type fatness.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
If you can put a humbucker on there, a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom will get you some crunch, and a more aggressive spin on your tone. Not too highout put or heavy.
I've heard the Hot Rails can be a bit muddy, so if you can, stay away from that.
If you're set on replacing all your pickups, a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 would be a good neck pickup. Great for rock. Then a fitting middle pickup might be a Cool Rails.