Okay, so recently I switched from baritone to tuba in band, but I have yet to hit a low B-flat, AND I have a playing test tomorrow. It's harder than the baritone (for me) because of the size of the mouthpiece. The original tuba player I switched with couldn't really hit it either. I'm trying to do what the teachers are telling me but I still can't get it. Does anyone have any other advice?
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
tubas rock, just ask any kick ass ska band.....as for your quesiton, i don't play tuba, but am a fan of ppl who play it, sry for wasting your time for reading this
Quote by Kurtsmyhero06
tuba?.......lame dude lol no offense

You're retarded, any real musician would respect other intsruments

But anyways, don't worry about it man, when I started to play Bass Trombone a few months back it took me awhile to hit that note, it just takes time. I usually did lip slurs and chromatic scales (Drop the octaves on scales and such) all you need to do is build lip strength.
I play all brass, Trombone, Euph/Baritone, Trumpet, Mellophone, Tuba. I can hit the pedal Bb on a tuba, but it's extremely airy and not pleasant

ummm im not a real musician and i dont like insterments like that expecially the flute or clarenet ehh they annoy me....recorders the worse
Quote by coffeeguy9
I play all brass, Trombone, Euph/Baritone, Trumpet, Mellophone, Tuba. I can hit the pedal Bb on a tuba, but it's extremely airy and not pleasant

French horn > all of those.

Mellophone sucks.
Ok, so i just picked up baritone this september for band class (still pissed at the teacher for not letting me play bass even though i suck ass at baritone), and is this Bb the low Bb of the Bb scale or what. If it is, thats not good. Every tuba player should be able to hit that note. Infact, that should be the easiest note to hit. So unless it an octave below that Bb, thats understandable. But even then, when do you ever have to play that low?? So if you could just answer some of those questions ill be able to help you out.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I played baritone, but I played tuba a few times when our tuba player was sick. Yeah that note was difficult to get, but I would get it.
i play tuba and played baritone for marching band, but i usually play trumpet. i played the baritone in tc and know i have to learn bass clef which is the difficult thing, not hitting the low Bb. in fact, playing is actually quite easy exept for the bass clef, but im learning
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Quote by Borkov

ummm im not a real musician and i dont like insterments like that expecially the flute or clarenet ehh they annoy me....recorders the worse

Ok,

1. Learn to spell
2. Respect them even if you hate their sound
3. You say you aren't a 'real' musician, BUT YOU ARE ON A MUSIC BASED FORUM

Don't be a poser, please.
I play the trombone, and used to play bass trombone in the school jazz band (no more, 'cos I'm lead now woohoo!). I was going to play baritone and therefore maybe tuba but the trombone was too cool (I was like 10 years old when I picked). I mean, glissandos!

My friend plays tuba in the concert band, he's probably the smallest person in it. It's pretty funny and cool at the same time.

And to the dude who said tuba is lame, you're lame. All music is valid, not just music produced by a "cool" instrument (I think the tuba is awesome anyway, that and the piccolo).
Last edited by shigidab0p at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by justin_fraser
Ok, so i just picked up baritone this september for band class (still pissed at the teacher for not letting me play bass even though i suck ass at baritone), and is this Bb the low Bb of the Bb scale or what. If it is, thats not good. Every tuba player should be able to hit that note. Infact, that should be the easiest note to hit. So unless it an octave below that Bb, thats understandable. But even then, when do you ever have to play that low?? So if you could just answer some of those questions ill be able to help you out.

Well, a tuba is an octave lower than a baritone, so it's hard for me to get it. Bb on trombone and baritone was easy, but, tuba's just so low. Plus I have some asthma, nothing bad, my air is just weak if I have to open my mouth really wide, so I think that's also a factor.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
I used to play tuba. I could hit all the notes, no problem. I'm glad I stopped playing it though, it took up too much room.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I can do a low D flat (as in a few ledger lines down) up through high B flat (as in above the staff). I love playing tuba, but I don't like my band director at all.

And if you're talking about the B flat that is two ledger lines below the staff, yeah, you pretty much need to able to play that. It's an important note.
Last edited by self-made_page at Jan 23, 2007,
I play all brass as well (trombone, baritone, tuba, trumpet, french horn, etc.), although trombone is my major. The transition from baritone to tuba shouldnt be that big... sure the mouthpiece is wider, but really its about resetting your lips and using more of them. My advice: start on a concert F just below the staff and chromatically work your way down. Half step one day, full step the next, step and a half the next. Just work it down.
UG's Local Reverend. PM me to absolve your sins.
Quote by coffeeguy9

pedal Bb for the win! i used to play, for 4 year but i switched to upright bass.
(to threadstarter) just loosen your lips and blow, like you are trying to , well, i guess trying to blow with your lips flopping around
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by spoonylove90

im not left handed i just have a mac btw.

Quote by NaivexLi
Yes...I named my penis Darth Vader.