Page 1 of 4
gah i hate wooten. yes hes amazing. but i get it, he can thump, hes good, get on with the show.

my favourite..

Chris Squire.

amazing technique, great player, incredible tone, looks like something from star trek. what more could you ask for?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
the system of a down bassist? umm, well at least fleas a good choice. but go listen to jaco pastorius (weather report) or larry graham (sly and family stone), louis johnson (brothers johnson) or bootsy collins (parliament/funkadelic), jac bruce (cream), marcus miller, or even victor wooten as the guy above me mentioned
Obviousely, Flea is phenominal, but Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam is extremely underrated. Some of PJ's bass lines are pretty sweet.

Also, John Paul Jones. Duh.
I hate kids who say Flea is the best ever...

and generic noobs who go like : mark h0pus 1s teh l33t!!!!111!!!11!

lol

indeed, Geddy Lee
JPJ
Wooten
Stu Hamm
Flea
Josh Ansley
Geddy Lee
John Myung
Justin Chancellor
Mic Todd

I switch back and forth every now and then. Right now, I'm really liking Ansley's work with Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by .smudged.

lol

ok

Quote by .smudged.
indeed, Geddy Lee

"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
John Myung or Geddy Lee.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
There are so many I respect but the ones that really made me want to play bass instead of guitar are Cliff Burton and Ryan Martinie (from Mudvayne). Victor Wooten is a freakin beast on bass too.
Quote by FbSa
Uh, Billy Sheehan, or my personal favorite C.F Turner. He's pretty cool.

Sheehan along with Stu Hamm are favorites. I'm actually seeing them both tonight with Jeff Berlin. James Jamerson, Jaco---god I could spend a good evening trying to compile a list across a bunch of genres.
sting is sweet, but Jaco Pastorious is awesome.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Anarkee, where were you seeing Hamm and Sheehan? in the Bx3 tour? i am jealous, they are not coming to the UK. please let me know how it was!

my fave bass players are stuart zender, tim commerford, jaco and stu hamm, in no particular order.

what no wooten? no flea? no myung? thats right people.
Jon Myung? I dunno, i don't really class one above another. but Jaco was pretty incredible.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Meh, I'm not interested in all that slap stuff. My top bassists (today at least) are Scott Reeder, Justin Chancellor, Nick Oliveri and Geezer Butler.
Tim commerford, cliff burton
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Applehead
Anarkee, where were you seeing Hamm and Sheehan? in the Bx3 tour? i am jealous, they are not coming to the UK. please let me know how it was!

my fave bass players are stuart zender, tim commerford, jaco and stu hamm, in no particular order.

what no wooten? no flea? no myung? thats right people.

Yes, I saw the Bx3 tour last night...3 hours of solid, window rattling bass, in a club about the size of a typical church rec hall. There were maybe 200 in the crowd.

They were all just amazing--Berlin, Hamm and Sheehan--but Hamm was so on last night. His technique and style was so damn fluid and watching him play was the highlight of my evening. The music was awe inspiring and the bassists were just so damn personable and funny. It was like going to see your friends perform in some small dive, but your friends being incredibly talented.

Words just aren't adequate to describe it. Jeff Berlin actually mingled through the crowd and talked to the fans before the show. My favorite quote of the night was Berlin's"We're doing this for the 16 bass players out there in the crowd who refuse to play just root notes".

Btw--the encore was Big Bottom (with 3 basses!) and the most explosive version of Crossroads I've heard in a long, long while

And all of this for the cost of 15 USD. I can't even buy a CD for that much.

I am so energized from the show--its going to be easy to follow Berlin's advice and PRACTICE!
I have an issue of bass guitar magazine, featuring an interview with Stu Hamm, he says that BX3 hopes to come to the UK in summer time, excellent.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Stu Hamm the best bassist in the world! Anarkee it sounds great, i really hope they come over here... I know Sheehan was over here last year...

take any pics? was stu playing his Urge II bass?
Quote by stumpyishere
how bout cliff burton? to cliff burton

Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Yes, Hamm had the Urge II last night, its a beautiful bass.

I stupidly (kicking one's self repeatedly) forgot to bring a cell phone or a digital camera. And Applehead, I was soooo close I could have leaned forward and actually touched the stage in front of me. It was great learning experience and as well a performance experience. I really got to see their individual techniques and style up close (except when Hamm was slapping so fast his thumb was literally a blur...)
Threadstarter SOAD bassist is called Shavo, my favourite is probably Les Claypool or Ryan Martinie. DIfferent i know, but i think Martinie is one of the best metal bassists.
signature
Quote by .smudged.

lol

indeed, Geddy Lee

Flea may not be the best ever but he is my favorit.

the mark hopus thing is funny though
the title of this thread is fav bassist, so if people wanna put mark hoppus as their fave bassist, or flea.. then i dont see why people should bitch about it. it's who you like, not who people think you should like
Stu Hamm is defenitly my favorite solo bassist hands down. Victor has the speed and techniques, but Hamm is just so smooth.

In a rock... There aren't many bassists that impress me an awful lot. The bass player from Catch 22 has been catching my ear alot lately. Even if you don't like Ska, he's worth a listen to. Some very, very talented playing from that man.
Stu Hamm, John Paul Jones, James Jamerson and Jaco
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
wow.. nobody listens to Yes?

you people suck.

although JPJ is fantastic, and so is Jaco (mmm... Punk Jazz...)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Jonas Hellborg is my 2nd favorite. He's pretty much the best thing ever.
System of a Down's bassist is Shavo Odadjian, and he's not even good.

Les Claypool and Cliff Burton all the way.
cliff burton
geddy lee
les claypool
My gear:
Spector Legend Classic (4 str)
Ampeg BA115
Korg AX3000B Modeling Processor

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member of the "Shoop da Whoop" club. PM C.C. Deville to join