hey, ive been playing for a while, and recently some guys want to get a band together and make some hardcore or metal...i havent really gotten into the whole hardcore thing but there are some interesting guitar parts and i will play anything just for the sake of playing. i want to have at least a little bit of experience playing this stuff, so... what is a good song to play that has a bit of the common techniques used in hardcore?
thanks a lot
peace
--Eric
Hardcore...Anything on Ascendancy by Trivium should be good, or maybe like All That Remains or Destroy the Runner

Metal...Megadeth, Dokken, Iron Maiden, and if you wanna learn some good metal licks try Protest the Hero, they arent really "Metal" but they have sick metal licks.
Look at some Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Lamb Of God, and Between The Buried and Me. Got some good hardcore/metalcore riffs.
thanks that is very helpful. do you have any suggestions for specific songs? im looking for one that isnt extrememly complicated and has the basic hardcore techniques...
Killswitch Engage - Rose Of Sharyn
Slayer - Raining Blood
Trivium - Gunshot To The Head of Trepidation

These should be good for you, unless you want a bit more.
If you want to learn to play metalcore, don't even bother listening to a lot of metalcore. Listen to early melodeath (melodic death metal), which was invented in Sweden back in the early '90s. The three most influential are arguably Dark Tranquility's The Gallery, In Flames's The Jester Race, and, here's the big one, At The Gates's Slaughter of the Soul. Most metalcore bands combined elements from those bands, and mixed it with elements of late '80s/early '90s hardcore bands from New York.
Let me add anything from Dimmu Borgir would be just fine.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Machine head - Davidian
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Definatley A Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation by Trivium is a good slower song. For a faster simple song Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr is pretty simple.
The Kingdom of Salvation is lost
and I am left in the holocaust
Of deceit and lies
people say while looking in my eyes
Maybe they lie to fill the hole
left by the vacancy of their souls
For a man can only lie
after his soul has died.
A gunshot to the head of trepidation is a great slow song, and unholy confessions by a7x is great to learn too. o0 and check out Incinerate by elysia, the intro is pretty fast, good for a warmup