You know... after looking at a couple of posts I've made in the shread/80's rock/glam sub-forum... I've discovered I don't know anything about my music history when it comes rock history. So I figured I would make a thread both in here and in the shread/80's rock/glam forum, each dealing with their respective areas:

I havn't a clue as to how to get this knowledge of all the artists in shread/80's rock/glam that most people here have...

I know a large percentage of this can be gained by going out and getting albums and such, but I havn't a clue as to where to begin... and I don't have the money for albums so youtube will have to suffice...

I don't even know where to begin, or what to ask in regards to asking questions to start off on gaining this knowledge....

I'm as confused as I can be currently.

Mom didn't listen to music much, and I never got into radio as the local stations play the same stuff over and over, probably no more than 20 songs total in their Databases, even the "classic rock stations".

It was around the age of I believe 13 or so, that I actually listened to my first piece of rock. Santana and Rob Thomas doing 'Smooth'. I fell in love, but it would be 3 years later I believe that I heard my next piece of rock, Metal actually, Metallica's Enter Sandman. I then noticed that I was attracted to not only what I learned was the guitar, but the darker side of the guitar's sound... (I called heavier on the bass and lower frequencies "dark" back then... ah, the bliss of ignorience!). I rushed out and got the "Black Album"... I got that and Manson's version of Sweet Dreams (SD was aquired illeaglly... didn't know it was illeagle back then... I don't do it now). It would be mabey another 2 years before I heard of anything else... I though this was preaty much it on the great music... as I didn't see anything in the local stores that seemed along the same lines... It was that 2 years or so later that I first heard Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, and some Zeppelin over at a neighbor's house (the same one that introduced me to Metallica!, though it was his father this time). And Well, Needless to say I was hooked. I've aquired a few albums sence then, borrowed untill I get my own copy or bought it myself. But beyond these and a few select others, I don't have a clue as to what's out there really...

My online friend continues to try to aid me by finding youtube videos for me every now and then to expand my my library of knowledge as to the "history of rock"... Hell, I wouldn't have really known who pink floyd was if it weren't for this online friend of mine... I only knew of ABITW: pt 2 and thought that was the only sound they had or something, LMAO... as it's their most celebrated piece it seems... Though I now have a preaty good beginner's knowledge as to the sound of PF, as I have Echoes: The best of pink floyd, DSotM, and The Wall.. and I have that boxed set of Zeppelin's with the crop circles. But beyond that I don't know much if anything really (though I have a little over 20 gigs of music on my HD, It's mostly stuff like zep's boxed set on WMA Lossless, and stuff like that.

So where to begin, what to do? I dont' know how to begin the researching and whatnot?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
trust me i come from the same boat, my parents listened to nothing but horrible power ballads, love song after love song. It drove me insane!!!!!

http://www.pandora.com/ that site will help you find some artists

http://music-map.com/

and that one.

And finally, experience, just never stop listening to stuff, you'll eventually know stuff.
Les Paul Player!
Well, she has I think 2 albums up untill a few years ago... Backstreet Boys and this 70's "greatist hits" thing... some of which was ok.. but that was all I ever got to hear... if I listened at all... cause that was hell!

Thanks for aiding me .

BTW: I guess it's worth mentioning I'm on Dialup, so it'll have to be something more along the lines of sites like youtube, but thanks.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Oh you poor deprived child. Listen to the radio, the music is out there you just have to find what moves you. Find a local classic rock station if your interested in the history of rock. I'll list some things that I'm into, though, just to help you out. I'm sure you've already heard some of these but whatever.

Early rock= The Who
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiYMDXlpXI

Classics
AC/DC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUI3p4Fyiio&mode=related&search=

Zepplin is always good, I'm glad you know that much at least.

Slayer is a more metal version of Metallica.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SVRDVtH7Gw

Stevie Ray Vaughn is a guitar hero in the truest scence of the word.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IzO30aF_g

You said you like Santana so Eric Clapton might be a good fit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOTEtk88-pk

You know Jimi Hendrix right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch314yEGVQI

Rage Against the Machine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSBG5z46rhY

Social Distortion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKA6VNb0Qs

Guns and Roses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4RbBD47eyE

Steve Vai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rxZjGzo1c

B.B. King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abqeVPhEPo

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XwfhVj0oI

Sex Pistols
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8L18NNk2Qo&mode=related&search=

Muse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNSjt6uqdVY

I really just through a bunch of stuff I like up there in no particular order. Not all of it is even classic rock. Theres a bunch of other/better stuff out there so yea... YouTube is great for finding music you like, but I highly suggest you find some local radio stations that play music you like.
Last edited by hiphopopotamus at Jan 23, 2007,
^yeah, that's a pretty comprehensive list in terms of some great stuff to get started on.

get a taste of everything, but you should start realising a particular style or genre you seem to be most attracted to.

i mean, just look at the first page of the classic rock forum (the one you're in now) and the top threads would be a good starting point for this kinda music.

good luck in finding stuff, and enjoy it!

no point forcing yourself to like something you really don't.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
accuradio FTW (accuradio.com)

check its classic rock radio

better that anything suggested so far....
My Spanish Hearts
You should find a college class on the history of rock. I took that and a history of jazz class in college and loved them. Any prof worth his salt will give you a lot of musical examples.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks... U know it may be helpfull to make up a list of what I've already heard.

But it's not just bands I'm looking for, it's a knowledge of the history of these bands, and the genres in genreal (espcially rock!). That's the major thing I'm lacking here. *goes away to make a list of what he has*

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Well the Doors play dark psychedelic/rock with an organ replacing bass guitar in the music. Then there are Gems like The Animals and Bob Dylan.Pink Floyd is progressive rock and they started with Syd Barrett who worked on the bands first two album before quitting due to mental issues.Roger Waters became the frontman and is the bassist and singer.David Gilmour is the guitarist.The Doors frontman is Jim Morrison and have one of the best keyboardists in music:Ray Manzarek. They started out in 1967 and broke up after a couple albums when Jim Morrision died in 1971 in Paris. Also check out Jimi Hendrix.Get all three albums of his and get The Doors self-titled and L'A Woman. Get the Animals greatest hits and Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding, Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde and Nashville Skyline. But I enjoy modern rock more than classic rock. Not a suggestion but some modern rock bands that are still and are not are Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Modest Mouse, The Mars Volta, The Tragically Hip, Alexisonfire, The Black Crowes and Queens of the Stone Age. Also check out Red Hot Chili Peppers Greatest Hits.One more classic rock band that I recommend checking out more than the rest is The Eagles.They are country rock and their best albums are Hell Freezes Over, The Long Run, Hotel California and On The Border.Also the Eagles are due for a new album for over 28 years coming out possibly this year.
You can find a ton of live videos of Led Zeppelin on youtube. You can watch the whole entire PULSE DVD by Pink Floyd on youtube I think. This place is very good. There's a guy who posted a bunch of the Led Zeppelin Earl's Court and Knebworth footage that was not used on the 2003 DVD release. I think his user name was ZeppelinLV2006. That may be a good place to start. Some songs you should look up are The Song Remains the Same, The Rain Song, Achilles Last Stand, and No Quarter. They are all amazing songs. There are also the classic Led Zeppelin songs you can listen to.
This page has a list of their albums, info on the band, and song lists. You can find all of it there. It's Wikipedia if anyone's wondering. But anyway, click on an album to read about it, and see the song listing. You'll be obsessed if you delve into them I'm sure.

The album "Rush" is great. You should get that next. It's amazing. If you've never heard Rush, but you like Zeppelin, then you'll like this. Here is the Wikipedia article about them. They are a great band, and there's a lot to read about.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Ok, I have the list now.

This is but a small list really, compared to what I've been told is out there. Most of this I no longer have borrowed btw.

I made this both for this thread and so I have an account of the albums I've either had borrowed long enough to know them, or still have borrowed, but a VERY select few I actually own . And also, remimber I said that I have a 23.2 Gig library of stuff, so I have somewhat of a library of music currently. But it was only in the past few months that I aquired 90% of what I have. And also remimber that most of this stuff I have no clue about the bands, the band history, or the history surrounding these albums. I have more than I thought I did, lol, but it's still only a small portion of what's out there by what I hear. I also have some single pieces off of various albums or downloaded (before I knew it was illeagle... I need to delete them as soon as I get their albums!)... So without further waiting, here's the list of what I do have:

Mostly Full Albums I own:

4 Non Blonds:
Bigger, Better, Faster, More!

AC/DC:
AC/DC Live: Collector's Edition Discs 1 and 2
Back in Black
Highway to Hell
Who Made Who

Aerosmith:
O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits [Bonus Tracks] Disc 1 and Disk 2

Alice in Chains:
(not all of) Nothing Safe: Best of the Box

Audio Adrenaline:
Some Kind of Zombie

The Beatles:

Black Sabbath:
Symptoms of the Universe: The Original Black Sabbath 1970-1978

Chroma Key:
Dead Air for Radios

Cradle of Filth:
Nymphetamine

Danzig:
Thrall: Demonsweatlive [Bonus Track]

David Cassidy (EWWW!, Not mine! Mom’s… EWW!):
Old Dog, New Trick

Deep Purple:
The Very Best of Deep Purple [Rhino]

Deftones:
Around the Fur

Demon Hunter:
Summer of Darkness

Dire Straights:
Money for Nothing

Dream Theater:
A Change of Seasons
Images and Words
Octavarium
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Disc 1 (missing disk 2)
Train of Thought
(Funny that the band I don’t listen to much at all is the one I have the most of!)

Elton John:
In Loving Memory of Diana. Princess of Wales
Love Songs [1996]

Eric Clapton:
Time Pieces: Best of Eric Clapton

Eric Clapton & B.B. King:
Riding with the King

Eric Johnson:
Venus Isle

Evanescence:
Fallen

Guns N' Roses:
G N' R Lies
Use Your Illusion I
Use Your Illusion II
(I LOVE the “holy trinity” of G ‘N’ R! ( u know the 3 songs!)

Janis Joplin:
Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits

Jethro Tull:
Original Masters

Jimi Hendrix Experience:
The Ultimate Experience

Joe Satriani :
Surfing with the Alien

Kid Rock:
Kid Rock

Korn:
See You on the Other Side

Kutless:
Kutless
Sea of Faces
Strong Tower

Led Zeppelin:
Box Set disks I-IV (crop circles Boxed Set)

Liquid Tension Experiment:
Liquid Tension Experiment

Meat Loaf:
Bat out of Hell

Metallica:
...And Justice for All
Garage Days Re-Revisited
Master of Puppets
Metallica (Black Album)
S&M Disc 2 (missing disk 1)

Mötley Crüe:
Greatest Hits [Motley/Beyond]

Muse:
Absolution

Newsboys:
Shine...The Hits
Take Me to Your Leader

Nirvana:
Nevermind

Opeth:
Damnation

Ozzy Osbourne:
Down to Earth
The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Disc 1
The Essential Ozzy Osbourne Disc 2

Pantera:
Far Beyond Driven

Peter Frampton:
Frampton Comes Alive! Disc 1
Frampton Comes Alive! Disc 2

Pillar:
Above
Fireproof

Pink Floyd:
The Dark Side of the Moon
Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd Disc 1
Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd Disc 2
The Wall Disc 1
The Wall Disc 2

Project 86:
Drawing Black Lines
Songs To Burn Your Bridges By

Queen:
Greatest Hits [Hollywood]
(and Bohemian Rhapsody from Greatest Hits, Vols. 1-2 Disc 1)

Rammstein:
Sehnsucht (cool stuff sometimes, but not something I dig on, especially if I can’t understand the lyrical content!)

Robin Trower:
Bridge of Sighs

The Rolling Stones:
Jump Back: The Best of the Rolling Stones 1971-1993
(ok stuff, not my bucket o’ stuff though )

Rush:
Chronicles Disc 1
Chronicles Disc 2

Santana:
Santana
Santana Abraxas
Viva Santana (Disk 1)
Viva Santana (Disk 2)

Seether :
Karma and Effect

The Smashing Pumpkins :
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Dawn to Dusk)
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Twilight to Starlight)

Steppenwolf:
16 Greatest Hits

Steve Miller Band:
Greatest Hits 1974-1978

Steve Vai:
Passion and Warfare

Stevie Ray Vaughan:
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Superjoint Ritual:
Use Once and Destroy

System of a Down:
Toxicity

Temple of the Dog:
Temple of the Dog

Tesla:
Into the Now

Tool:
Ænima
Lateralus
Opiate [EP] (sucks, lol)

The Who:
Who's Greatest Hits
(this CAN NOT be their greatist stuff, can it? If so, what's the big dealio all about?)

Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force:
Marching Out

ZZ Top:
Greatest Hits

Small list no? I mean... especially considering it's an amalgamation of many genres! And like I said, it's mostly the history of the genre, and info on the bands that I'm mostly looking for. BUT, I'm also looking for more bands within classic rock specificly, as I only have a small amount of CR. (Also looking for the various Metal types out there, but that's for the other thread!)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Jan 24, 2007,
As Lost_Rose mentioned, at the top of the Classic Rock page, there is a huge recommendation thread, with Classic Rock artists ranging from hard rock to folk rock to classic punk. Plus there are album recommendations as well as band websites (we aren't done with all those yet, but we're working on it).

And if you are looking for some further info, make a post or two in the threads that seem to be more or less devoted to certain bands. There are plenty of regular users (me included) around here that would be glad to help with album recommendations or general history either in those threads, through PMs or even over AIM/AOL.

Happy Searching

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.