I'm a beginner at soloing and stuff so i'm practicing solos for songs i like. Right now, i'm working on sweet child o mine. So, basically, i memorize the tab and play it slowly.

So, when you're generally learning a solo, do you just memorize the tab or do you guys actually know which notes you are playing and which scale it is from etc?

BTW.... so, what scale is the solo from SCOM (3:30 sec). And, what are the backing power chords?
Gibson Les Paul 60's Neck
Fender Blues Junior
Boss BD-2 - Keeley Phat Mod
Vox V848 Wah
EH Small Clone
For Sweet Child of Mine, I have no idea, as I've never wanted to learn it.

But I learn what notes to hit slowly. I also figure out what key and scale it's in, it's use of accidentals, and the relationship between notes (i.e. intervals).

That way, I can start to see a pattern emerging, then it's much easier to remember instead of a random assortment of notes.
You have some pretty nice gear for just learning... Since I am a jazz player, I always know the scales and chords that the solo is played over. It is best to do it like this because you have an understanding of the solo, and you can recall it much easier that way.
i just say screw it and memorize the tab
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
I practise,and it my fingers sorta like memorise it.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
its on E minor scale for the most parts, but slash might have put in other notes too im not sure bout those.
the backing chords are E>>>G>>>A>>>C>DG then back to E.
all the letters and '>' represent a quarter note.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard