so... i was wondering if im like too young to join a band or no. i went to a tryout with like 18 year old and they were like "f*** off piece of s**t.
i was like a** holes.
but am i too young?
i dont think so.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
No.

But have better judgment and look for bands closer to your age level.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Aim for something a bit younger then 18. 15-16 year olds probably wouldn't have a problem with you joining if you're any good (especially since there's a lot less bassists then guitar players).
nope you ain't
hell the drummer in my band is twelve...
just find a some none assholes and start a band
I don't like as i lay dying
your never too young to join a band. just start one with people your own age.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
well the solution to that is join or make a band with guys ur own age. I'm 16 and im sure if i tried to play in a band with guys 5 years older than me theyd be like wtf too. but neone ne age can join a band, its a great experience and will help ur playing abilities greatly. starting in a band at a younger age will only give u more band experience for when u get older.
2 things strike me here

1) they feel uncomfortable with a kid in thier opinion- both the social diffrences, im 18 now and have little in common with a 13 yr old- also they could be jelouse of skillz man

2) playing live gigs-if your underage, you can hold a band back.

But **** em, start a band with kids your age and rock the **** out. Good luck dude
No, music is age independent. Thirteen is a good age to start jamming and playing with others.

But I agree with most of the others, find some people nearer your age and grow your music with them. You'll relate better and have more common ground.
Maybe you can't hang with them? If you were better than they were, im sure they would let you join.
Not Enough AssHatery
Never too young to start playing with a band, though I don't blame them for not wanting you around because there is a big difference between 13 and 18, thought not too big of a difference between 50 and 55.

Make a band with people closer to your age (within a year or so) and play with them - but it is fun to jam with older people, especially if they have more experience than you - you'll get much better.
dude. "don't start a band nobody wants to hear nobody understands"
haha jk jk. thats just a song. but hell no! the younger the better. more experience.
Quote by Randy_Rhoads4
well the solution to that is join or make a band with guys ur own age. I'm 16 and im sure if i tried to play in a band with guys 5 years older than me theyd be like wtf too. but neone ne age can join a band, its a great experience and will help ur playing abilities greatly. starting in a band at a younger age will only give u more band experience for when u get older.

LOL, im 16 and i used to be in a band w/ 2 21 year olds and a 23 year old. I left because it was just really awkward jamming w/ them and then they would talk about getting wasted "at bars" and going to strip joints after we were done jamming and then they would j/ kinda look at me and go "Oh....yeah we cant". It was gay, jamming w/ people your age, give or take a year or 2 is always a lot more fun.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
They just don't think someone of your age could be good enough. If you got the same skills they do then by the time your as old as them you'll be way better. No, thats not at all too young the bass player in my first band (I guessed we sucked though) was twelve while our singer was almost twenty.
The Only member of the "I hate people with huge sigs club." Don't PM me to join.
Im 13 too and i jam with guys who are about 16 or 17. It doesn't seem to bother them though. It pretty much depends on how good you are. If you're awesome, then i say go ahead and jam with people who are at a more advanced level. But if you need some work, i think that you should just practice with kids in the same situation. But as far as age goes, it definately doesn't matter how old you are.

-Amanda
Age definitely shouldn't hold you back from playing in a band. My band is completely spread in age; its the music you want to play. Heck, I'm 18, the guitarist is 20, and the drummer is 43. When I started playing, I was 14 and the church band were all in their 50s.

It shouldn't be age holding you back. Skill is everything.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
It's a matter of gigging in a lot of cases, dude.

Start with people your age, get really good, and don't worry about it. Bars will overlook it if a member is 18 or so, maybe even if he or she is 16 or 17, but anything under that and they get nervous.

It hasn't anything to do with your musical talent, it just has to do with social appearance and stuff. Don't take it personally, just move on. It's part of being a professional. Don't burn any bridges, because later on if they get desperate for a bass player they might come crawling back.
hey this is the problem.
I'm white- my city is a one-horse town thats
45% mex
48% black
5% asian
2% white.

Finding someone closely related to metal-what im into- is very hard.
No one my age even wants to play and instrument... theyre all to busy on halo or something.
man i wonna move to iowa
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Ive played with 45-year olds before which was pretty cool. I would have been about 15 then so its never too early.
to be honest, i wouldn't want a 13 year old in my band and i'm 16, and there's a fair bit of difference between a 13 yo and an 18yo. for example while they're talking about getting laid/drunk/high, you're trying to start a conversation about pokemon.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I considered a nine year old for my guitarist, he almost got it too, but you've gotta have REALLY good chops to compensate for a built in lack of coolness.
Dickless.
Forget anything about ages, Think Skill.
My band members are 32, singer/rhythm . 32, drummer. 23, lead. 22, bass(me).

Here is what I would suggest though, if you want to become professional, don't focus on just playing in any band. Focus on your skill, Take the talent that you have right now, and imagine what you'll be able to do if you maintain your drive and ambition for your instrument for the rest of your life. Also think about how solid that will make you when you hit 18...Keep practicing and when you own what you do, the right band will hunt YOU down.

Best of luck,
~Rog

Postscript: By all means though, play music, play in bands, do everything you can to get experience, but only when you know your time is right.
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
Thats just weird..

..A 13 years old in a band with 18 year olds..?
Start a band with kids your own age, preferrably from your class.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Roger, when you are over 21 you can forget ages. Until then it's a big part of your life because there are no venues that will allow kids in at that age. He should take your advice, forget about bands for a while and come back later on when he is the absolutely sh!t on bass.
Start a band within your age group. I'm in a band with my mates, and we're all the same age, but you should have no problem finding a band that has members at 16 oldest. Just make sure you do't find some asswholes who will just **** you about and not care about your opinion, etc.
Quote by Applehead
Roger, when you are over 21 you can forget ages. Until then it's a big part of your life because there are no venues that will allow kids in at that age. He should take your advice, forget about bands for a while and come back later on when he is the absolutely sh!t on bass.

Ah yes, very good point, I Do tend to overlook/ forget about that fact...

Keep at it kid, don't give it up like so many people do, you're at the age where all of the talent and opportunities are ripe for the picking, have patience and fortitude in your ambition. Oh...and don't watch television. hahaha.
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
I reccomend getting in a band with some people you know and just kinda building up chops playing together doing covers and then maybe some of your own stuff. I don't know about anywhere else but here when you're sixteen most bars will let you play with your parents there. Whenever you can start playing out do it. But get in a band now and start thinking about growing as a band until you can start gigging and then it will be much easier than just starting cold turkey when you're old enough to gig.
In two years if I'm wrong I will ressurect this thread and say so but this is my plan for now.
Quote by kaptink
Ive played with 45-year olds before which was pretty cool. I would have been about 15 then so its never too early.

playing with 45 yr olds?

lol x
Quote by Robert_Terry
playing with 45 yr olds?

lol x

Yeah they go to my mums church (not some random peados) so they were all really helpful lending me gear and such.
Quote by LandOfConfusion
dude. "don't start a band nobody wants to hear nobody understands"
haha jk jk. thats just a song. but hell no! the younger the better. more experience.

It's too bad that Reel Big Fish new music sucks. I can't believe I bought that cd.
In my band- the drummer is by best mate and aged 17- same as me. The guitarist and the singer (drummers brother) are both 25 and we get along really well. But 13 years old with 18 years old, i don't see that big a problem, but you might encounter a few.
signature
Quote by aild2006
nope you ain't
hell the drummer in my band is twelve...
just find a some none assholes and start a band

Is that even legal???

But it shouldnt really make a difference for age. Although you should stick to people closer to yours. I can see those guys not wanting in there because you are only 13, and they are 18. The maturity level between those two age groups in the biggest gap for any of the ages. Like you guys wont have much in common and it will be awkward to hang out with them. So just go get some friends of yours together and jam.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Well im 15 and im in a band with a 19 year old guitarist and an 18 year old drummer.
They dont seem to mind.
They always buy me beers at the pub

Your from wales tho, they let anyone in pubs (this isnt an insult i think its great) it just varies from place to place if they wanna let u in.

The alma, a rock venue near mine wont let a band with any one under 18yr old play, cos the police chekc the joint EVERY night. Twats, go stop the chav scum keying old people and smahing up my beloved bus stop! bastards lol
I'm fourteen, our lead guitarist is fourteen, our rhythm guitarist is 18, our drummer is 16 and our singer is 15.

It's all about common interests.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by Dwardom

man i wonna move to iowa

Yeah, i hear ya. I only like people that are the same skin color as me, too.
The.
im 14 and ive been playing, i have yet to find a band that has a drummer that can actually keep time
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
like everyone else has said, find some kids that are your age and jam. that way, 4 or 5 years from now, you can be a band with a bunch of songs and stuff. and it also gives you a lot of early experience of jamming with other people and stuff.

but age shouldnt be that big of a deal. i'm the oldest in my band at 17. there are 2 14's and a 15, so its no big deal.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!