I got a HSS strat, I'm planning to buy 2 hot rails and I don't know which humbucker should I put to complete the setting. I mostly play Iron Maiden, pink floyd, Guns n rose and nirvana stuff.. any suggestion of humbucker?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
I just put a humbucker in my SSS MIM Strat. I really was going for Nirvana's sound and K.C. used a Seymour Duncan JB (I guess before they made the TB-4). I put in the TB-4 and its perfect. I think Slash uses the S.D. Alnico Pro II or something like that. I also have another guitar with a Hot Rails in the bridge and its good for distortion, but for clean its pretty ugly. I don't ever use the neck/mid position for really dirty stuff so I wouldn't put a Hot Rails in there, maybe a cool rails? If your guitar is routed for a H-S-H I would put two full sized humbuckers in there. Either way check out the S.D. tone charts for trembuckers - they have some really good stuff. Oh yeah - I kept the 250K pots because I thought 500K would be too bright and it sounds good w/my amp.
Last edited by malibuclc at Jan 23, 2007,
Quote by malibuclc
I just put a humbucker in my SSS MIM Strat. I really was going for Nirvana's sound and K.C. used a Seymour Duncan JB (I guess before they made the TB-4). I put in the TB-4 and its perfect. I think Slash uses the S.D. Alnico Pro II or something like that. I also have another guitar with a Hot Rails in the bridge and its good for distortion, but for clean its pretty ugly. I don't ever use the neck/mid position for really dirty stuff so I wouldn't put a Hot Rails in there, maybe a cool rails? If your guitar is routed for a H-S-H I would put two full sized humbuckers in there. Either way check out the S.D. tone charts for trembuckers - they have some really good stuff. Oh yeah - I kept the 250K pots because I thought 500K would be too bright and it sounds good w/my amp.

So, your suggest to put a TB-4 in the bridge and to put a hot rail in the neck, and to keep the original in the middle?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
I'd suggest Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge, with two SSL-1s. Thing is.. Hot rails neck is all fine and good.. but won't get you that Pink floydness.
are SSL-1 good for heavier rock?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
If you want heavier humbucker sound from the neck position the SSL-1 isn't going to be it. I quite like the sound of the single coil neck/mid pickups and would pick something that stayed true to that sound like the SSL-1. For heavier rock I only use the bridge, but if you want that from the neck I don't think any true single coil is what you want. Quite honestly I wouldn't put a Hot Rails in any position if it was routed for a full sized HB. Both will get you thick distortion, but the HR IMO is not versitle enough for much else.
A Seymour Duncan JB would be a good choice but some people find it too midrang-ey. I think for a classic Maiden or GnR sound I'd go with a DiMarzio PAF Pro.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by malibuclc

i think kurt cobain used a dimarzio super distortion
From my experience, most people find the JB too bright. IMO, DiMarzio Choppers are better pickups than the SD Hot Rails. I have a PRS HFS pickup in the bridge of my Strat and it's awesome. The Chopper I have in the middle position keeps up with it volume-wise and sounds really good.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by deluxity
i think kurt cobain used a dimarzio super distortion

He did in one of his Jaguars that were in there when he purchased it. In Strats and Mustangs they were almost always JB's and the occasional Hot Rails.