Page 1 of 2
greetings Uger's,

Ive been thinking of getting a wah pedal and i decided to get dunlop crybaby (the cheapest one) until i saw the reviews of the Vox 800 something. The reviews also says the dunlop wah sucks your tone significantly. I want to save 30 bucks but then again,i don't want to kill my tone in the future and end up buying a vox or something and wasting 70 dollars. So, any help about the qualities of these pedals and how much they take away from your tone?

Apologies if this question has been asked a million times.

P.s does anyone know any decent used guitar stores in New York City?
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
I bought the worm, but it was pretty pricey. I dont use it often but I like it. It's made by Electro-Harmonix.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
VOX V847 ...yea i think thats it....Thats a good pedal...100$ on MF
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
I've got a Crybaby 535Q, and I love it.

But I couldn't really compare it to anything else for you seeing as it's the only wah I've had.
DRM, it's killing music.
I've used or owned most of the major brands and I personally always come back to Dunlop. The 535Q is a good one with a variety of tones but I switched from that to a 95Q because the 95Q is switchless. I always liked the switchless design of the Morley's but preferred the sound of the Dunlop's. Crybaby's don't suck your tone at all unless you have weak battery and alot of stuff in your signal chain. Then again, any non true-bypass wah does that.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 24, 2007,
Quote by Broelke4

But I couldn't really compare it to anything else for you seeing as it's the only wah I've had.

the 535Q is better than the gcb-95 which i own, it's not terruble but it could be better
i have the gcb-95, its better than the wah pedal on my line 6 pedal board *that has almost no sweep to it at all* but i have heard really good things about the vox, and the soundclips sound excellent

hell if you want a sound clip of the vox listen to voodoo chile
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
Vox>Crybaby.
BY FAR.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Crybaby>Vox
BY FARTHER.

Although TPQ just reinforced my opinion that Vox is the wah widely preferred by homosexuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by CORT noob
I bought the worm, but it was pretty pricey. I dont use it often but I like it. It's made by Electro-Harmonix.
I think the TS is talking about conventional wah pedals, not multi effects. How's the sound on the worm, anyway?
Dunlop, Morley, and the Ibanez weeping demon are good wah's that Ive used.
I havn't used a vox so I cant compare but the ones I listed above are all good pedals.
Quote by Broelke4

I'd say the same thing about the Vox847. Absolutely love the thing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Vox>Crybaby.

I've compared them, the Vox won by far, the Original Crybabys have a very short, jerky sweep, and sound too trebly, and no real "wah" to speak of.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I haven't tried the vox, but the gcb95 is a piece of shit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I've compared mine many times with my Clyde McCoy. The Crybably is laughable, it's got no usable wah sweep, no wah-ness, and half the throw of the Clyde.
It's good for throwing though, if you need to stop a person from stealing your good gear.
Don't be afraid to care"

I own a GCB-95 and it isn't that bad. It could be better, but it's allt hat was available to me, and I like it. However, some Vox Wah's are better than it.

Don't forget though, you could also try out more Dunlops, and soem Morley's. Bad Horsies are good.
Just because your Crybaby doesn't sound good through your particular amp (or maybe the way you have it EQ'ed) doesn't mean it's a piece of crap, mine sounds outstanding. There are one or two other guys who agree with me, such as Eric Clapton, Kirk Hammet, Joe Perry, Josh Homme, Eddie Van Halen, Dave Grohl, John Petrucci, Yngwie, Tom Morello, John Frusciante, Jeff Beck and Joe Satriani, to name a few.
That's brilliant. But the Crybaby's(GCB95s) I've tried were all crap.
Don't be afraid to care"

Standard Vintage tones
Vox>Crybaby

Metal-Moderen
Crybaby>Vox

and if you knwo hwo to modd & use elctronics
ide go w/ a cheap crybaby and modd to to get the tone some what up to a vox or w-e
+ you can make it true bypass
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by fatgraymatt
Just because your Crybaby doesn't sound good through your particular amp (or maybe the way you have it EQ'ed) doesn't mean it's a piece of crap, mine sounds outstanding. There are one or two other guys who agree with me, such as Eric Clapton, Kirk Hammet, Joe Perry, Josh Homme, Eddie Van Halen, Dave Grohl, John Petrucci, Yngwie, Tom Morello, John Frusciante, Jeff Beck and Joe Satriani, to name a few.

amazing. they're using custom rackmount wahs, not the £50 p.o.s. gcb95's.

Here's the thing- i have my amp sound the way I like it. The crybaby sounds crap through that tone. I'm not going to re-eq the tones I use 95% of the time (and like, might I add) so that the crybaby (GCB95), which virtually everyone agrees is rubbish, might sound a little better.

It sounds extremely thin. And I already have my amp eq-ed for an extremely warm, rounded, smooth tone (for an engl).

EDIT: plus, if I recall correctly, you're using a different model to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's total bullshit, some use rackmount units, some don't:

Satch:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkjc0.LdFXmgBxg1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWJwMmhiBGNvbG8DdwRzZWMDc2MEdnRpZANERlI1XzEwMQ--/SIG=150dlvge8/EXP=1169770932/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images%3f_adv_prop=images%26imgsz=all%26imgc=%26vf=all%26va=joe%2bsatriani%2brig%26fr=yie7c%26ei=UTF-8

Frusciante:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/Sterny101/JohnFrusciantePedalboard2.jpg

Morello:

http://www.audioslaved.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=270934

I've played through a rackmounted Crybaby before and the sonic difference was negligible. I personally don't like the sound of Morleys or Vox's but I'm not going to say they're crap just because I don't like them. There are thousands of gigging guitarists using Dunlop wahs that get great sounds out of them. "virtually everyone agree's they're rubbish" is a total bullshit statement.
^ fair enough, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll agree to that.

Hey, we agreed on something. That, and the fact I have occasional dalliances with sheep (different thread).
The cheap $70 GCB95 at musicians friend was my first wah

I could not stand the thing...sound was fair but without true bypass and all it sucked tone WAY too much even for me just starting out and not really knowing much about tone...

So in the end I got an Ibanez WD7 and although its big, it sounds amazing...lots of movement on the foot board too which I like.

I'm planning on trying a few more crybaby wahs when I get some money

Here's the current list to buy and try:

Vox V848
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Wah
Wow thank you all, i think ill go with the Vox since i'm more of a vintage person. It seems since they're not true bypass theyll take away on your tone no matter what but vox has a better sweep.
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Tom Stoppard
Vox all the way no competition I own one, they're great.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by fatgraymatt
Crybaby>Vox
BY FARTHER.

Although TPQ just reinforced my opinion that Vox is the wah widely preferred by homosexuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

+1 although vox is my top amp choice. But if youre worried about tone i would say get the crybaby classic. It has a fasel inductor that makes the tone 1000 times better. Trust me on this one dunlop makes the best wah pedals, hence why its more widley used thatn vox, morley, ect.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by R_H_C_P
That's brilliant. But the Crybaby's(GCB95s) I've tried were all crap.

Gee i wonder why. Youre comparing a $60 dunlop to a $100 vox. I wish i could say my arion stage tuner preformed like a boss but hmm, mine was $80 cheaper than the boss. If you really wanna get technical maybe u should compare vox i to the GCB95F "Crybaby Classic" which has a fasle inductor therefore WAY better tone and sweep. Jimi Hendrix used dunlop and vox and i bet that without reading or hearing it somewhere u cant even tell the diffrence between the two on the recordings.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by fatgraymatt

Wait, to clear things up these use Crybabies but i they do not use the stock nowaday GCB95. Either theyre using an older one or a different model. Also some of the artist Dunlop speaks of used Vox wahs. What you think? Vox wahs? Well back in the day Vox wasn't to big on the US market. So they they used the Vox wahs but then they rebranded them as Crybabies in the US. After some time Jim Dunlop bought the copyrights for the name Crybaby.

Oh and the Vox wahs eats Crybabies for breakfast. Ive owned both and no it has nothing to do with Eqin, just the fact the Stock GC95 is crap.

Both the stock V847 and Crybaby sucks your tone, but its very easy to mod them to true bypass
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried the vox, but the gcb95 is a piece of shit.

Absolutely true. But after a few simple mods they can sound great, much better than the baseline Vox for less money.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I own a GCB95, and the sweep is so small, the tone so bad, that it's nearly unusable.
I've A-B'ed the Vox Clyde with a GCB95 and a Crybaby From Hell, and no matter how I set the amp or the CFH, the Vox blew the Dunlops away.

Now I just need to buy one...
Quote by fatgraymatt
That's total bullshit, some use rackmount units, some don't:

Satch:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkjc0.LdFXmgBxg1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWJwMmhiBGNvbG8DdwRzZWMDc2MEdnRpZANERlI1XzEwMQ--/SIG=150dlvge8/EXP=1169770932/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images%3f_adv_prop=images%26imgsz=all%26imgc=%26vf=all%26va=joe%2bsatriani%2brig%26fr=yie7c%26ei=UTF-8

Frusciante:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/Sterny101/JohnFrusciantePedalboard2.jpg

Morello:

http://www.audioslaved.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=270934

I've played through a rackmounted Crybaby before and the sonic difference was negligible. I personally don't like the sound of Morleys or Vox's but I'm not going to say they're crap just because I don't like them. There are thousands of gigging guitarists using Dunlop wahs that get great sounds out of them. "virtually everyone agree's they're rubbish" is a total bullshit statement.

Frusciante uses an Ibanez WH-10 wah. So you're wrong on the Frusciante part. The two pedals that you saw that look like Dunlops are expression pedals. Just wanted to clear that.

Personally, I'd choose the Vox. It fits me more to my liking, rather than other wahs.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Gabel
Wait, to clear things up these use Crybabies but i they do not use the stock nowaday GCB95. Either theyre using an older one or a different model. Also some of the artist Dunlop speaks of used Vox wahs. What you think? Vox wahs? Well back in the day Vox wasn't to big on the US market. So they they used the Vox wahs but then they rebranded them as Crybabies in the US. After some time Jim Dunlop bought the copyrights for the name Crybaby.

Oh and the Vox wahs eats Crybabies for breakfast. Ive owned both and no it has nothing to do with Eqin, just the fact the Stock GC95 is crap.

Both the stock V847 and Crybaby sucks your tone, but its very easy to mod them to true bypass

I think even the Crybaby fans agree the GCB95 is weak. The idea that Vox eats Crybabies for breakfast is all opinion, I'm sure there are just as many people who believe the reverse.

I don't know how much more energy I can put into this argument though. I love my 95Q but it's not like someone said vintage Ampeg VT-22's are shit. Words like that would mean all-out war, like to the point I'd need to take a day off work to join the VT-22 war-effort. Thanks God the world hasn't devolved quite that low yet, all praise be to Allen.

Allen is this dude that works in the next office, BTW.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by paintITblack39
Frusciante uses an Ibanez WH-10 wah. So you're wrong on the Frusciante part. The two pedals that you saw that look like Dunlops are expression pedals. Just wanted to clear that.

Personally, I'd choose the Vox. It fits me more to my liking, rather than other wahs.

Apparently he uses both. Nobody's mentioned the WH-10 till now but it's pretty good. The other guitarist in my band uses one, as I recall it's a modeling wah that tries to approximate the sweeps of Morley's, Crybaby's, Vox's, etc... He always uses it's Crybaby sim, but he got rid of a Crybaby Classic to use it. The silly bastard. I think he did it because he likes the Crybaby sound but also likes Morley-like switchless operation. Then I showed him my 95Q and he was like "Doh!". It's not a bad wah though, does a pretty good job of mimmicking the various wahs.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by fatgraymatt
I'll agree to that.

Hey, we agreed on something. That, and the fact I have occasional dalliances with sheep (different thread).

Quote by fatgraymatt
I think even the Crybaby fans agree the GCB95 is weak. The idea that Vox eats Crybabies for breakfast is all opinion, I'm sure there are just as many people who believe the reverse.

I don't know how much more energy I can put into this argument though. I love my 95Q but it's not like someone said vintage Ampeg VT-22's are shit. Words like that would mean all-out war, like to the point I'd need to take a day off work to join the VT-22 war-effort. Thanks God the world hasn't devolved quite that low yet, all praise be to Allen.

Allen is this dude that works in the next office, BTW.

hang on a minute, it was the gcb95 I was complaining about! You mean we had that whole argument for nothing?

Quote by TGM
Absolutely true. But after a few simple mods they can sound great, much better than the baseline Vox for less money.

Just how good does it sound after the mods? I'd be willing to mod if it made it a good wah, but if it doesn't I suspect I'd be better just selling the crybaby and putting that cash towards a good or boutique wah.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fatgraymatt
I think even the Crybaby fans agree the GCB95 is weak. The idea that Vox eats Crybabies for breakfast is all opinion

Well the wah i meant was the GCB95... Thats the Crybaby im talking about. The Vox is basically the same price. But if were talking high end Crybabies then it's a different thing.

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Dave_Mc

hang on a minute, it was the gcb95 I was complaining about! You mean we had that whole argument for nothing?

Apparently. Wanna hug?
Page 1 of 2