Okay, well I'm writing an album about all my friends...but here's the tricky part.

3 of the songs ive decided to make instrumentals. Without words, purely with music, I need to be able to embody each of these people (1 per song)?

I'd like to do it well enough so that someone could listen to the song and pretty much know the person it's about (whether or not they actually know them or who it is).

How do I capture someone in music?
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
WoW. I'm not going to presume I know more about guitar or anything. But I'm assuming that you can "capture" someone in music by their technique. If Kerry King from slayer plays an instrumental, and after that Steve Vai plays one, your basically gonna know who did which one. So I'm guessing the only way to capture someone in music (at least, the only way I can think of) Is their technique
You can do it. You can't explain it, it's something you just feel.
If this helps, think speed, heavy or light, happy or sad (major or minor)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Asyilius
WoW. I'm not going to presume I know more about guitar or anything. But I'm assuming that you can "capture" someone in music by their technique. If Kerry King from slayer plays an instrumental, and after that Steve Vai plays one, your basically gonna know who did which one. So I'm guessing the only way to capture someone in music (at least, the only way I can think of) Is their technique

I think the threadstarter wasn't referring to other guitar players. Instead, he wants to give tribute to his friends. Similar to how an artist might paint a portrait of one he admires, our threadstarter wants to write some instrumental pieces that represent his friend.

First, I'd say what their strongest trait is , or what their known for. If it's goofy, make it goofy, at lots of wacky synth, or syncopation and what not.

I'd first find out what this person is like, and then think how to make it musical. If they are sarcastic, maybe spoof a lot of popular riffs and melodies within the song? Who knows.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
if you know someone who's laidback as ****, have a reggae-influenced song, if you know someone who's a headcase, write something off the wall like Mr Bungle, or a heavy punk song, depending on the type of crazy. think along those lines.
Quote by nightwind
I think the threadstarter wasn't referring to other guitar players. Instead, he wants to give tribute to his friends. Similar to how an artist might paint a portrait of one he admires, our threadstarter wants to write some instrumental pieces that represent his friend.

First, I'd say what their strongest trait is , or what their known for. If it's goofy, make it goofy, at lots of wacky synth, or syncopation and what not.

I'd first find out what this person is like, and then think how to make it musical. If they are sarcastic, maybe spoof a lot of popular riffs and melodies within the song? Who knows.

nightwind got modded? Sick

As for representing people in music, the tough part is that while you interpret music to be one thing, another person might hear something completely different. I can't give very specific advice, since I don't know your friends, but keep their personal musical tastes in mind. One of my friends loves metal, so if I made a song along the lines of Mastodon or Strapping Young Lad he'd probably know it was for him.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out