OK guys, first off lemme say this a n00b question and probably a retarded one, but, here goes. I am thinking about replacing my pickups, right? Right now I have humbuckers in my guitar. I was thinking about getting single coils, but if i took the 'buckers out and put singles in, would that leave a big hole in my guitar where the other coil would be. Again, sorry for the question, I'm kinda new to this.
Ben
^ Does your guitar have a pickguard? If it does, you may be able to get a replacement pickguard that has single coil slots rather than humbuckers. Otherwise, yeah, big holes. You could also go with a humbucker-sized soapbar, which is essentially a big single coil. It'll brighten up and twang up your sound a bit.
Hi, I'm Peter
TYPICALLY, you can't put single coils in a humbucker made guitar and vise versa.
But you an rout it sometimes. Does your guitar have a pickguard?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
No, no pickguard on the guitar. But I've heard stuff about those soapbars, but i heard their just like humbuckers.
Ben
well, if you have 2 humbuckers, you could put a single coil in the neck position an slant it so there's not a big hole.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Quote by muffinman123192
No, no pickguard on the guitar. But I've heard stuff about those soapbars, but i heard their just like humbuckers.

Real soapbars are actually big single coils. The resulting sound is between a traditional single coil and a humbucker. I really like my guitar with soapbars. Gorgeous, warm cleans and puts out good distortion. What you could do in your case is get 2 new 4-conductor humbuckers and then put in a push-pull switch for coil tapping. That way, you can get single coil tones when you want them and humbucker tones when you want them.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, the tone I'm looking for is more early classic rock (Beatles [till '65], Kinks), so I'm looking for singles or humbuckers with low outputs.
Ben
Oh yeah, install coil splitting. I don't think you have to get new new pickups though, just new switches for the tone pots or whatever. Or mini switches. Wait, do you have 2 volume/ 2 tone knobs?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
^ So you're essentially looking for the Rickenbacker 330 > Vox AC15 tone
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Oh yeah, install coil splitting. I don't think you have to get new new pickups though, just new switches for the tone pots or whatever. Or mini switches. Wait, do you have 2 volume/ 2 tone knobs?

Most guitars don't come with stock pickups that have 4 conductor wiring which you need for coil tapping/splitting/phasing/etc.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ That's going to be hard to do without actually owning a Ric. The reason is, Rics are made of solid maple, which give them that tremendous brightness, then use those "toaster-style" pickups which are unique to them. The other type of Ric pickups are soapbars, I think. They don't use "traditional" pickup styles.
Hi, I'm Peter
Go with coil-splitting. It turns off half the humbucker to sound like a single. Look on DiMarzio's or Seymour Duncan's site for wiring diagrams. Or, if you don't like to solder, bring it to a tech. Plus I think you need push/pull knobs. But those are like $5.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
I've heard about coil-splitting. But after you split, can you still use the humbucker as one in addition to the two?
Ben
I mean. I split the coils. I then have a neck humbucker and a bridge which acts as two single coils. can you still use the bridge as if you never split them and use it as a humbucker?
Ben
Yes, there's a switch that turns it off/on. (split/full)

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Axelfox
Sure, you'd just have to wire each pickup to their own switch.
Hi, I'm Peter