Hello everybody.
Last month I started thinking of building my first guitar and started learning a little about pickups.
Soon I will upload the start of the equipment building process (equipment for the pickups).

The idea of the project is to build every thing from scratch.
Hope you will be able to prevent me from doing mistakes.
Snow boy
Well here in short what I have already done.
At first I thoght of making hambacker pickups so i got this 6 separate magnets.
Here's a pic:

But I think new I will better start from 3 single coils.
any way i also got this 2 kilo of 0.1 mm wire (in Israel it is hard to find fine wire as 42-43 AWG)

Also you can see a pen that was my guider for the wire. Well afer a few day i went to the market and saw there this winding machine for about 4 USD (20 NIS) one turn of the handle will make output of 20 turns, you can see her here:

After a few times I felt the machine pretty good and here is my first 1000 turns coil:

And here is the sushi that day

Snow boy
Last edited by snow- at Jan 24, 2007,
How are you plannign on putting that pickup together? By the llok of that coil your goignt to have a hard getting useable pickup.
I know, it was just a try to feel the machine and the winding process.
But the wire is not fragile so I bent it to a square to fit the magnets and it actualy picked up the virbrations of my acoustic guitar strings...
Well now for the real deal
The magnetizer, well as I already sayed it is hard to find normal gear for building guitars in israel especially with my budget so I had to think of alternative way
so I thought of building electric magnetizer here are my materials for the magnetizer
including the pole-pieces.
half kilo of 1mm wire:

my drowings (for my blog, never mind)

pole- pieces with match box so you will be able to see the size.

the bubbin for the magnetizer

same wire but on a bubbin

all together

Snow boy

oohh yaa, my dad had birthday this week so here's a little something:

Have you got any more info on the magnetizer? I just use 2 neodymium boride magnets. That jsut looks like a variable electromagnet, would you not need two coils?
Well I dont have any information on magnetizing with electro magnets so I searched a little about industrial magnetaizing, i saw they are using 2 electro magnets only with long wire while if they need to magnetize something small they are putting the steal in the center of one of the coils.
but they are explaining on how to do very powerful magnets, and i need les powerfull and i need to magnetize only small pieces, so i can do with one coil, also i need low power magnets so you can see the pot' in my drowings.
I'm pretty sure you need 2 fairly powerful magnets to charge, I don't think one coil will work alot of pickup makers use bought chargers that use to coils. I don't think one coil will charge the magnets evenly. Hopefully corduroyEW will see this thread as i'm pretty sure he has one.

BTW nice cake
if you would look at the physical viewpoint 2 magnets will creat North and Sounth pole the same situation we will get in the middle of the coil.

the only reason i can see they use 2 magnets is that sometimes the magnets are glued in and they cant realy get them out, so they use this method

by the way as you can see i use very thick wire (1mm) for the magntrizer, and the coil will be pretty big (0.5KG) the power supply will be not less powerful: car accumulator, it can get very high current, so the electro magnet will be very powerful, hope not to powerful
Quote by snow-
if you would look at the physical viewpoint 2 magnets will creat North and Sounth pole the same situation we will get in the middle of the coil.
l

That's what you want it to do...create a north amd south pole, i'm not sure what your talking about with the middle of the coil?
no no, you didnt understood me, each side of the coil is another pole, that means that the middle of it is zero pole. This is just like when you use two electromagnets.
as i sayed i think he is using 2 magnets becouse he wants to tuch every magnet with N & S poles and becaouse he already glued them in. 2 magnets are more usefull when you are repering pickups, but if you just maje them 1 magnet will do.
by the way any one knows any thing about bridges? i mean how they are built, influences of the matirials, position, structure etc.
i found alot of information about pickups but nothing about the bridges
Unless you have access to a milling machine and other metal working tools your better of buying a bridge. I know you want to builld everything from scratch but somethings just aren't worth it.

If you want some info check out MIMF library, that's probably your best bet for this sort of thing.
little up date:
i tryed the magnetizer for about 5 minutes and it melted =\ (the plastic bubbin)
while giving no effect in the metal pieces =\ probbly it wasnt good for magnetizing...

any how dave i found this library but i didn't found there much information about bridges...
בהצלחה אחי
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by Pleiadian
בהצלחה אחי

I'll say the same thing.

Good luck.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Ra'anana
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
umm...dude, you're makin me hungry!
and i respect you.... i wouldnt have the pacience to build pickups...i would wind it twice and end up throwing it at a wall and selling my leg for to buy some SeymoreDuncans
THAT CAKE LOOKS YUMMOLICIOUS!!!
UG's HIPPIE