The wholetone scale is what creates that dream like sound. Just continue upwards in wholesteps.

For example: C, D, E, F#, G#, A#, C

The only other variation of this scale is starting a half step higher, going: C#, D#, E# (F), G, A, B
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
Maybe look into the style of classical Indian music. Very dreamlike and surreal stuff.

Then again, you'd probably want a fretless guitar for that...
you can also get the indian scale type sound (sort of) by tuning your guitar a quarter step flat or sharp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by anoceanapart
The wholetone scale is what creates that dream like sound. Just continue upwards in wholesteps.

Yeah I was gonna suggest this also. It's also know as the Debussy-scale since he used it a lot, there's some information about it on wiki.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
i want to know some scales that maybe the guys from metallica use. I am just bored of playing pentatoic blues scales and wish i knew some other scales that are not Blues. maybe classical scales or something.idk.

send to email.....drr765@sbcglobal.net
Quote by funky_monkrhcp
i want to know some scales that maybe the guys from metallica use. I am just bored of playing pentatoic blues scales and wish i knew some other scales that are not Blues. maybe classical scales or something.idk.

Metallica uses the pentatonic scale a lot.
Use the lydian mode, and I suggest you learn all the other modes of the major scale.
Quote by funky_monkrhcp

Classical scales are primarily just Major and Minor. You can buy Andres Segovia's scale study book for like $2 if you want to learn the classical shapes.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
metallica uses lotsa minor type scales and placements at least pre-load, other things besides scales to give "dream-like" effects would be FX such as delay, flange, phaser and chorus. also a pitch shifter and ring mod can make your guitar playing MUCH weirder.
The Japanese pentatonic is pretty cool.

E||---------------------------8-12-||
B||----------------------8-12------||
G||-----------------9-11-----------||
D||------------9-10----------------||
A||-------9-10---------------------||
E||--8-12--------------------------||

What's so cool about it is, it's a "neutral" scale. It can be used over pretty much any chord.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

The Dorian mode has always helped me get a real spacey, dreamlike sound.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by NovemberRain273
The Japanese pentatonic is pretty cool.

E||---------------------------8-12-||
B||----------------------8-12------||
G||-----------------9-11-----------||
D||------------9-10----------------||
A||-------9-10---------------------||
E||--8-12--------------------------||

What's so cool about it is, it's a "neutral" scale. It can be used over pretty much any chord.

That pentatonic scale is actually based on the Lydian mode. The formula is 1-3-#4-5-7. So it's not exactly neutral.
Quote by superunknown
does anyone know a scale that sounds sort of dreamlike?

Yeah you could go with what has been suggested. It is also cool to start off playing in the major scale and then take out intervals to produce a new, more dreamy scale.