Im confused.
Tommorow im gonna buy a harmonica.
Ive read that a Blues Harp (Johm Mayall Style) is different to a normal harp like (Neil Youngs).

Also with the realatve minors. eg C-G. but than i hear some other Blues thing, like playing in two keys with one Harp? I sunno
????????????????????

Help Please
I only know that you have Diatonic and Chromatic harmonicas. The Diatonic harmonics are in one key i.e. C and are good for beginners. The chromatic harmonica offers you all the notes of the major scale.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Use a C Major Diatonic, prefably a Lee Oskar one.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Blues Breaker
Diatonic or chromatic?? What should i buy?

It depends. Diatonic harmonicas are for beginners, such as yourself, but you may want to dive straight in with a chromatic and save yourself buying another harmonica later on.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Blues Breaker
Diatonic or chromatic?? What should i buy?

For a beginner, I recommend you a Diatonic in the key of C Majory (or G). You wouldn't need a chromatic just yet. They are for more advanced players.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I'm thinking i want to play blues like Yardbirds or John mayall, so can i play that with a diatonic harp?
Quote by Blues Breaker
I'm thinking i want to play blues like Yardbirds or John mayall, so can i play that with a diatonic harp?

Do some research and find out what harps they use. But honestly, it's ridiculous to dive it anything too advanced for a beginner. That's just like getting a noob a Malmsteen Signature strat because he wan't to play full on shred. Start from the beginning and don't fall into the trap of trying anything too hard to begin with.

Get a ****ing Diatonic in C or G.

End of story.

End of Story
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Find what key most of the songs you want to learn are in though. Then buy that key and you can play along or just muck about with it. I found you learn more just mucking about with one while your bored. I'd get a diatonic one though.
Blues harmonica is a dying art, its all about the metal harmonica with the kids these days.
dont get a chromatic. diatonics are the ones that the vast majority of people use. get one in C to start with. then start buying ones in the other keys you tend to use a lot.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
on the unplugged album clapton used a diatonic harmonica tuned to C eric was in the blues breakers so maybe there is a connection there?
I have a major diatonic C lee oskar, its great, so easy to bends notes. When you were refering to the blues harmonica, theres 2 ways of playing, normal and cross draw i think, somthing like that. But basically you can bend notes 1, 2, 3, 4 down or up when you get better. Thats how you get the bluesy sound.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
The true master of the chromatic of course would be a Mr John Popper.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LPIFW0Ifkoo
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
I am starting lo learn blues harmonica too, an di was wondering, how do you bend notes?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
i just picked this up:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-Piedmont-Blues-7Harmonica-Pack-with-Case?sku=421179

it looks like its down to $20 and it gives you 7 harmonicas, 1 in each of the natural major keys (except it has Bb instead of B). i admit they're not terrific quality for a pro, but for a beginner they're nice to just give you a good base to start from. just play around with them, find which keys you use the most, and then you'll be ready to start spending $20 on a single harmonica.

thats my take at least. worked for me.
Get a diatonic, or better get a few with different keys but one should be C. There are lots of sites with tabs for harmonicas so if you don't know how to play start trying the easy ones (that's how i did it lol). Or don't take my advice i'm crap at it anyway but harmonicas ftw
Give peace a chance
Quote by walker-rose
I am starting lo learn blues harmonica too, an di was wondering, how do you bend notes?

pull your tongue back as you draw.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
thanks for the info on bending guys, but my english teacher took my harmonica today, so now im sad
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I don't see what's with the people on here saying that diatonics are for beginners Most players play diatonics more often than not. I started to learn ages ago, and I want to pick it up again. Gonna pick up a few Lee Oskar Diatonics in the usual keys and learn some crossharp (which I never did before).
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Blues Breaker

Yes
I have a Lee Oskar in C major, and hold it above Hohners. It just sounds better to me.

You should learn first and second position, then bends (those are tough for beginners) maybe overblows (can't do those yet). Also people reccomend tongue blocking over pucking or U blocking, personally I use U blocking and it suits me fine, but not everyone can do that, so whatever works best for you.

Oh and diatonic harmonicas and not just for beginners. Most professional players use diatonics, and it is the harmonica of choice for blues.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
check out adam gussow's videos on youtube. he plays really well and has a ton of helpful videos all about blues harp.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
And Jason Ricci.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Smokey Amp
I only know that you have Diatonic and Chromatic harmonicas. The Diatonic harmonics are in one key i.e. C and are good for beginners. The chromatic harmonica offers you all the notes of the major scale.

Wouldn't Chromatic just be all the notes? Because by your definition diatonic and chromatic are the same, i.e. all 7 notes of a major scale.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music