What's better for a beginner guitarist, Single or Multi-Effects. All the effects that are listed in my sig are all a lend from my cousin.

A friend has a Westfield LP *Yes I know, lame*, Marshall MG15CD and a Behringer X-Vamp

I think the V-Amp sucks.

Although I'm quite tempted to go into a Zoom Multi-effects, I don't want to look like this prick who has a behringer.

I play a Squier Strat *Fender Mexican tele my granda's, Only borrowing it for gigs, with a cube 30.

Best Single/Multi Effects???
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
Well the zoom will have heaps of fx but they won't be as good as a bunch of singles.
So you're just looking at quality vs quantity. For a beginner I guess multi-fx works better as you can really experiment with some different sounds.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
Personally i prefer multi effects. But not the crappy cheap 2 pedal pan through channels ones i mean the big several switch multi effects like Vox tonelab or something
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Harley Benton HBR7-450FRBK (7 string)
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Hughes & Kettner ATS MKII
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
Danelectro free Speech Talk Box
Toneworks AX3000G is a good one. Or the Digitech GNX 4
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
Single pedals. It's more expensive but worth it.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Then again it's all down to personal preference. I prefer multi-effects because it's all in one unit and there's more variation in how you want to customize the sound.
Vintage VRS100 Custom 24
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Tanglewood Nevada FST 36
Vox Tonelab SE
Sennheiser E285 S
JJk - I think single effects looks way cooler too. And what If I buy the Multi-effect and noly use 2 effects? I have phaser, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, Chorus and Tremelo built into tmy amp, with 8 different amp models including
Mesa Boogie Dual-Rectofier
Marshall JCM 2000
Vox AD30VT
Roland Jazz Chorus and more.
Think I'll stick to multi-effects.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by anarchy_skater
JJk - I think single effects looks way cooler too. And what If I buy the Multi-effect and noly use 2 effects? I have phaser, Flanger, Delay, Reverb, Chorus and Tremelo built into tmy amp, with 8 different amp models including
Mesa Boogie Dual-Rectofier
Marshall JCM 2000
Vox AD30VT
Roland Jazz Chorus and more.
Think I'll stick to multi-effects.

and to add to that as a fellow cube user, the Vox is actually the AC30 rather than the AD30, Peavy EVH150, Fender Twin Reverb and a built in Boss Acoustic simulator, and some 'Tweed Fender' thing i know nothing about
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
Last edited by TMAW at Jan 24, 2007,
^^ Sounds like getting a multi-effects unit would be major overkill. Just get a couple of good pedals and use your amp for the rest. Otherwise you would be paying for a whole load of stuff you would never use...
TMAW thanks, I always wondered what teh other amp models were
Quote by Sonicxlover

If you don't know what effects that you want and want to try out a bunch of different effects, go for the multi effects. A multi effect pedal will cost the same as a couple single effect pedals. But I have yet to play a multi effect pedal that sounds as good as the single pedals.
Quote by matchbox
Then again it's all down to personal preference. I prefer multi-effects because it's all in one unit and there's more variation in how you want to customize the sound.

+1. I think either the Line 6 PODxtLive or the Boss GT-8 are the best on the market today and most of their effects sound just as good as pedals provided you take the time to learn to program the unit properly. I went with the PODXTL, these are the FX it comes with:

http://line6.com/podxtlive/effects.html

And the amp models:

http://line6.com/podxtlive/amps.html

Plus, this site has alot of good info on multi's:

http://thestompbox.net/
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 24, 2007,
I think for a beginner, a great first amp would come from the Vox AD series, which has a bunch of effects built into it.

From there, you can figure out which ones you like the best, and then start buying them as single pedals. IMO, they're better than any multi-effect device. You can mix and match different makes to get the best of each. The Ibanez OD, the EHX Chorus, the Vox wah, etc. Much more control of your sound that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by TMAW
and some 'Tweed Fender' thing i know nothing about

Fender bassman i think??
The Stuff!