Yay, it's finally here! /hype

I'm looking at getting myself a new amp. Unfortunately, I live in Denmark, so I pay about 30% more in sales tax. I have some models that seemed to avoid sales tax though, so I'd like some opinions on them.

First things first, I will be playing it with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom or Standard. Right now I have a yamaha 112. I'll be getting a Crybaby and a decent OD soon too.

I'm looking for a classic rock sound, as that's what I play mostly. Versitility is always good though. So recommend anything, and I'll look at it. I'd prefer a amp with some tubes in it, though.

The amps I've found are:
Marshall AVT50X
THis will cost me about 600$. Which seems very cheap for a 50 watt combo amp with tube preamps. Anybody know anything about it?

Then, for about the same, I can get a line 6. They've got a love-hate rep, and might sound too electronic for what I play, but I'd like some opinions on them, as they're relatively cheap over here!

And one last question: It would be pretty difficult/unsafe to replace the power supplier in an amp, wouldnt it? If it wasn't, I could try picking one up over the pond. :-)

Thanks!
I don't know what they're worth there but the Vox AD50VT might be a better option than the AVT, and definately better than the Line 6 (presuming you mean the Spider).
Oh yeah, I forgot to check out Vox.. They're pretty reputable. And yup, I meant the spiders. Anyway, I'd like opinions if possible, a broad "it's better than that," is kind of subjective. Thanks though! *checks out Vox's now."

EDIT: That Vox was the exact same price over here. I'm checking specs now.

And: it looks pretty impressive. So that Vox has a tube as well, more effects, and a pedal. Weee.. I'll have to try it out. Thanks for mentioning it!
Last edited by Harwood at Jan 24, 2007,
Ok IMO the AVT's are overpriced, I just think the Vox is an overall better sounding amp than the AVT and the Spiders, well that gets debated around here several times a day and personally I hate them, I think they just sound processed, kinda digital. Sort of what you'd expect a PC to produce if you were to use one as an amp. They're really only suited to metalheads that are just starting out (waits for the hundreds of over protective Spider owners to flame).
^^ That's what I picked up.

The marshall and Vox in question, though. They both have some form of tube. Is there a huge difference between their half-and-halfs and a complete tube amp? Those tubes cost twice as much, but still- I don't want to pay 450 for something that could sound a whole lot better for an extra 200 or something.

As for the Marshall being overpriced- it costs the same as the Vox. (over here.) And they seem to be pretty close in features, I'll have to try them out, I guess.
^ Yes, hybrid amps sound nothing like tube amps. Hybrid amps like the Vox and the Marshall just have one tube.

Most hybrid amps (like the AVT) just use it in the preamp. It's a gimmick and does not make it sound anything like a tube map.

The Vox does it a bit different, they have an all SS preamp, then I *think* they use the tube as a poweramp, but only for a tubelike feel, since it's a 12AX7 and it can't drive speakers. Then a SS poweramp amplifies the sound more. It still won't sound or feel exactly like an all tube amp.

So don't pay attention to hybrid amp marketing. A good amp is a good amp, but a single tube in the preamp won't make it a tube amp. Peavey did it right a while ago when they made an amp with a SS preamp and a tube poweramp. I still wanna see an amp with a good digital preamp and a tube power amp, just for practice though. (you can get this stuff in rack gear, or with atomic amps, but they aren't standalone and they aren't practice amps.)

I'd stay away from the AVT, they are overpriced.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by Harwood
As for the Marshall being overpriced- it costs the same as the Vox. (over here.) And they seem to be pretty close in features, I'll have to try them out, I guess.

Yeah that's what I mean, the Vox is a better sounding amp and it's the same price, so that's what makes the AVT overpriced. The effects on the AVT aren't real good either, my roomie uses the chorus on his and that's about it.
Quote by Harwood
^^ That's what I picked up.

The marshall and Vox in question, though. They both have some form of tube. Is there a huge difference between their half-and-halfs and a complete tube amp? Those tubes cost twice as much, but still- I don't want to pay 450 for something that could sound a whole lot better for an extra 200 or something.

AVT's are overpriced for the quality; they aren't very good amps. Out of those three choices, I would take the Vox in a heartbeat, no contest.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
if you want a classic rock sound and have enough for an avt50, you could probably get something like a laney vc15. That's what I'd go with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, so a tube hydrid is the deformed bastard offspring of tubes and digitals? :-D Got it :-) For everyone saying that those amps ain't optimal for that price, examples would be great. I'll check out the leney now.
So that laney vc15 is a full tube amp? THat's cool, but it is a completely different price range for tube amps over here, that laney is 250$ more than the other ones mentioned. I'm curious though- Do tube amps get a lot more volume for their wattage? A LOT of tube amps seem to "only" have 15 watts, is it possible to gig with that?
Hmm, looking through all those tube amps on musicians friend.. You can get some nice tube amps for the same price of a solid state in Denmark -_- I am seriously considering getting one shipped over somehow, since I probably can't find one that fits in a suitcase, (and that would be slightly suspicious? :-D ) Maybe it can jsut go in luggage, it would be interesting to find out. I'd just need a transformer.

At any rate, I'd still like some info on analogue/SS's, if anybody has them. However, some tube amp advice would be cool too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718

This Fender Blues one looks really nice, and I bet with a good OD pedal, it would be great for classic rock. Any comments?
A general rule of thumb is that a tube amp will sound 2-2.5x louder per watt than a SS amp. It's more with smaller amps. The 5W Epi VJ is often compared to 30W SS amps in volume, not that I agree. But the 15W Blues Jr will certainly compete with a 50W SS amp in volume. The big difference being that tube amps sound their absolute best when cranked to eleven, while SS amps start to break up in an ugly sounding way.

I have a Vox AD30VT (for sale!), and while I think it's a great little amp for what it does, it's simply not a tube amp. It's been replaced by a Crate V16. Still, I think that tube in there is a little more than a "gimmick." It's doing something. It takes a moment to warm up, and the tones out of the thing are nice. You couldn't go from an all tube amp to a Vox AD and be happy, but you could go from an ATV or Spider to the Vox and be ecstatic!

I'd say it comes down to your budget and patience. I definitely think a good all tube amp is worth the difference in cash, but only you can make that decision for yourself. You have to try them out and, unfortunately, you probably won't be able to crank the amps to get a true feeling for the difference between them.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Harwood
So that laney vc15 is a full tube amp? THat's cool, but it is a completely different price range for tube amps over here, that laney is 250$ more than the other ones mentioned. I'm curious though- Do tube amps get a lot more volume for their wattage? A LOT of tube amps seem to "only" have 15 watts, is it possible to gig with that?

yeah, the vc15 is all tube. If you're looking at Laney, buy from the UK... you can get a vc15 for £250 ($500), or a vc30 for £300 ($600). www.gak.co.uk (need to check if they'll post to Denmark, though, and what postage would be)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?