Hey I'm learning scales.. But I want to make sure I know them going across the neck rather then up and down. I know the WWHWWWH theroy.. but I want to make sure that this is a good patern to remember.. and can that be moved to any other root note easily like A, E, D, G, ect.. ?
this is really confusing, especially with teh fret notes
Personally, I play (starting from LOWEST string)

This is in the key of A

high
E|------------------------------------------------------------4--5-------------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------------------5----7-----------------------------------------------------
G|-------------------------------------4---6---7------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------4--6--7--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|--------------4---5---7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---5---7---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
low

you can move that anywhere

root notes - E strings - 5, D string 7
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
y is it confusing? the square is the root. So I do have to learn this pattern to help with my soloing? or the vertical pattern is just as good?
thank you, after 100+ views someone with a valid response.. lol
Quote by John W

This is in the key of A

high
E|------------------------------------------------------------4--5-------------------------------------------
B|------------------------------------------------5----7-----------------------------------------------------
G|-------------------------------------4---6---7------------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------4--6--7--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A|--------------4---5---7-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|---5---7---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
low

^ That is what I use.
i use this one: (C shape)

|--o-o---o--
|--o-x---o--
|--o---o-----
|--o---o-o--
|--o---o-x--
|--o-o---o--
Quote by soda18
thank you, after 100+ views someone with a valid response.. lol

Well you didn't really ask a proper question. Besides, yours looks overcomplicated, just learn the 'normal' one (mine) for now.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by John W

This is in the key of A

high
low

can i combine scales like A pent minor with the major scale?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
Quote by davo_333
can i combine scales like A pent minor with the major scale?

To an extent, but there are better ways. There are several differences between a major and minor pentatonic scale that will make it sound a little odd. The minor pentatonic has a minor third instead of a major third, which gives it a distinct feel as opposed to a major scale (pentatonic or diatonic). It doesn't have a second or sixth of any kind, and the seventh is again minor instead of the major seventh of the major scale. The two only actually have three notes in common (A, D, E), so mixing them is going to give you a bizzare chromatic mix unless you have a definite change in major/minor tonality. What would sound good is switching from A minor pentatonic (or any A minor scale) to C major, which is its relative major. It has the same notes, but a very different feel. That's how Randy Rhoads does the change of feel between the intro riff and the verse riff in Crazy Train - he switches from F# minor to its relative major, A major. The notes are the same, but it gives a very different effect.
^^ thanks for clearing that up.....where can i learn about all that stuff?
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"