Im thinking about ordering one of these very soon, are they good guitars ?

It'll cost £410 (spread over 9 months with no interest )

I made a similar post before, and some people said to save for a Gibson studio.
Well after speaking to my mate who is a 3rd year music student and an awesome guitarist, I've started looking at Epiphones again.

He said top of the range epiphones are much better than bottom of the line Gibsons.
He actually said he preffered them as they sounded very similar, but looked nicer and weighed less.

Im almost sure I'll take his advice now, but should I think about any other guitars in this price range or just go for this Epiphone ?

well what music do you play? if theres a guitar store near you, you could try some out before buying. by the way, what amp are you using?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
yeah their damn good guitars
and gibson studios arent as good as customs
you just pay like 400 quid for the name
go withthe LP =]
Quote by rhcp_freak
well what music do you play? if theres a guitar store near you, you could try some out before buying. by the way, what amp are you using?

I play rock music on my Vox AD50VT.
I hate metal (well, all the new shit anyway), so apparently a guitar with Alnico Classic Humbuckers will be much better for me than an ESP Les Paul with EMGs.

I have tried a few guitars out in shops but I can never really tell with them because im using different amps and they're turned right down.

I definately preffered the Epiphone custom to a Tokai copy at the same price.
I currently have a shit Westfield Les Paul, well, it's a really good started guitar (new for £90!) but it's time to upgrade.

Epiphones seem to split people, some people say they're rubbish, but some people say they're good guitars. They seem like nice guitars to me, and I really want a new Les Paul for around the £400 price range.
they are great guitars... get it set up... or set it up urself... and they play even better than outa the box... which is still killer... the white is FANTASTIC... i will be getting one as my next guitar... and i already have an epiphone les paul standard... and i love that one... the stock pickups are decent in the custom... i will be getting a custom and replacing it wtih the new dimarzio pickups that are coming out soon...
I have one. Been playing it for a little over 3 years. I love it & haven't had any problems with it at all. I paid just over $400 US, I've tried a couple high end ($1200+) "Gibsons" at the Guitar Center & haven't noticed much difference. But, would suggest going out & trying one before you buy it. If you're going to spend the $$$, make sure you get what "YOU" like.
"What Is, Is Was & What Was Is Is!!!"
Epiphones are great, I have one.

Have you considered the elitist line? There a bit pricey but, there as good as Gibson standards.

As for thr custom plus it should be great, however I think you'd be paying for the looks, the standard will have the same specs but you won't pay as much. However customs are damn sexy and that's enough reason to pay a bit more.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Epiphones are good guitars no doubt, no gibbo Lp standard or custom, but still for the price and what you are getting its damm good.

just get a pro setup on it and it should play like a dream
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard & Custom. Both guitars are rock solid from top to bottom & I have not had the slightest problem with either.

I was at Guitar Center this past weekend & played a real Gibson Les Paul Standard....It was a beautiful guitar no doubt. When I got home & plugged in the Epiphone I realized just how nice of a guitar I already have for a fraction of the cost.

Would recommend the Epiphone line of Les Paul's to anyone who does not have a spare $2,000.00

Rock on!
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Have you considered the elitist line?

Im not sure they sell them in the UK.

At least I've not seen any in the shops or on any websites that ship to the UK.

As far as I know, this Epiphone Custom Plus is top of the range (bar the signature models which don't really interest me)
Yeah, your getting great build quality and with that Vox amp you'll be rocking.
I love my epi standard with my ad30vt.

If you like it go for it, you can't go wrong.

Edit: here's a link to the elitist if you don't know

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/standardplus.htm

The thing with Epiphone is that they are alder/mahogany, you could get a Les Paul plain top which is all mahogany like the Gibsons. There is also a new Les Paul studio chameleon on the site, it's also all mahogany. You'll save loads of money and get better wood quality.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jan 24, 2007,
For £80 more I could get the limited edition Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus 3

It's a tough one this, I can get the Custom Plus with a Hard case, or this limited edition custom plus with a 3rd pick up.

What are guitars like with 3 pick ups, does it get in the way occasionally or should it help develop my picking technique ?
how would a 3rd pickup develop your picking technique?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
how would a 3rd pickup develop your picking technique?

I assume it'd stop me digging the pick so deep into the guitar, as there wouldn't be an empty space, but a pick up in the way instead!

I fear that if I buy this guitar I'll keep catching that middle pick up which would be annoying!

Here's an actual photo, looks a bit gothic to me, perhaps not so much my style after all.
I think the black sunburst is sexy, the third pickup may be a slight issue, but you should get used to it quick.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
I think the black sunburst is sexy.

Do you mean the trans black one with the 3rd pick up or are you referring to the guitar pictured in my first post ?
Well I was refferring to the trans black, couldn't tell in the picture, but yeah the black one with the third pickup.

youre ****ing right theyre nice guitars! theyll last you a lifetime.

and also, i have never seen that 3 pickup custom-plus! its FCUKING BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
nicest guitar i have ever seen!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I hear lots of good stuff about Tokai, better than Epiphones apparently, but he said he preffered the Epi. over the Tokai so maybe not for him.

However i'd trade in my Epi. LP for a Tokai.

Edit: That says it was made in China, I thought Tokai guitars were made in Japan.