I've just finished this on Gamecube after lending it from a friend and I was wondering who else has played it? I completed MGS 1 on the original Playstation a long time ago, so it was nice to play through it again with improved graphics and the extensive revisions to the gameplay.

However, why does the game insist on making you aware that you're sat playing the game, instead of acting more like an RPG where you are supposed to be the character you're playing? I mean, the bit where Psycho Mantis reads your memory card saves to determine what games you like to play, that was so lame. Also, the changing of the controller ports in the Mantis battle and having to look on the back of the case to find Meryl's codec number. I dunno, it just took away from the overall feel of the game.

I had forgot how short the game was, it's mainly just about killing bosses. I mean, you do 3 or 4 rooms and then you fight a boss, then you carry on this formula throughout the whole game; it got kind of old. Also, the game is way too story heavy. Don't get me wrong, I like a game that can tell a good story, but after a few minutes of cut-scene you wanna get right back to playing, not just thrown into another cut-scene or codec conversation.

I loved this game the first time around on PS1, but now I'm not so sure. It's a good game, but it dragged like hell.

Your thoughts?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Jan 24, 2007,
That game was cool, but compared to the latest ones the graphics and movement feel terrible to me. The bosses still feel the same to me as they are now like if you get a something blown up on you, you stop moving for a few seconds which is annoying.
i managed to, somehow, kill psycho mantis WITHOUT swapping the controller port. dont ask me how i did it, i dont know :| lol

the real thing that pissed me off was having to trek away for that bloody sniper rifle.
Top lel.
Quote by Smokey Amp
However, why does the game insist on making you aware that you're sat playing the game, instead of acting more like an RPG where you are supposed to be the character you're playing? I mean, the bit where Psycho Mantis reads your memory card saves to determine what games you like to play, that was so lame. Also, the changing of the controller ports in the Mantis battle and having to look on the back of the case to find Meryl's codec number. I dunno, it just took away from the overall feel of the game.

I thought those were all great
Those are some of the best parts of the game. It's intuitive. It makes you think outside the box and utilise the console and your mind as a whole.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
I loved all those things like having to change controller and stuff. The game is a classic.

Mgs3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mgs1>mgs2
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Oh and speaking of which... SPOILERS:

The mindphuck things in the end of MGS2 (boy, was that story confusing) really scared the crap outta me. Fission Mailed-screens popping outta nowhere, Campbell and Rose going crazy on the radio.

"It's a game, stop playing now, Snake!"

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by GiantRaven
I thought those were all great

Seriously? I have an Eternal Darkness save in my memory card, and Twin Snakes was developed by Silicon Knights (The same people who made Eternal Darkness) so, Psycho Mantis is like:

You like playing Nintendo? You like to play Silicon Knights games? Did you enjoy playing Eternal Darkness?

Apart from the fact that Eternal Darkness is a piece of shit that I'm ashamed to have in my Gamecube collection, it was just really cheesy. Eurgh. Also, did you see the Gamecube in the room where you fight the exoskeleton ninja (Gray Fox) and how they incorporated the Mario & Yoshi figures into the cut-scene?...

I'm not sure why Nintendo did that, MGS is an adult game, there's no need or all the cheesy horse shit.

I haven't play MGS and I don't own a gamecube.

But instead of making a new thread, I'll go off topic in this one.

I'm craving to play a video game. But I don't know what one or what kind to play.

What are some fun games? No shooters or sports. Something with a sword, baby.

PS2 and original Xbox
Quote by PopNFresh07
I haven't play MGS and I don't own a gamecube.

But instead of making a new thread, I'll go off topic in this one.

I'm craving to play a video game. But I don't know what one or what kind to play.

What are some fun games? No shooters or sports. Something with a sword, baby.

PS2 and original Xbox

Zelda.

Except it isn't for PS2 or Xbox.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Definately one of my favourite games on the gamecube...along with mario kart and super smash bros.

It was what got me into the whole metal gear series. As soon as I finished that I went out and bought metal gear solid 2
Quote by Smokey Amp
Zelda.

I was thinking about breaking out my 64 and getting a couple friends down and renting Majora's Mask on the weekend.

I already beat OoT too many times already, so I kinda wanna try something new.

Besides that, quick so i can run to the movie store!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Except it isn't for PS2 or Xbox.

I didn't see that part.

Eh, I can;t really help you as I don't own a Playstation 2 or Xbox.

Metal Gear 2 is crap. It was such a waste of time and effort. It was the stereotypical shit sequel. The only good bit was the part at the end when everything starts going really weird. Metal Gear 3 was a bit better, better game play and a MUCH better story line, but still, it was a bit thin. Looks like we're gonna get back into it with the fourth game though. Can't wait.

EDIT: For PS2 rent The Warriors. You won't regret it.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
^TY!

I was looking at that one, kinda. I loved the movie. Cheese to the make.

Anyway,

*Flees thread*
Quote by Smokey Amp
Seriously? I have an Eternal Darkness save in my memory card, and Twin Snakes was developed by Silicon Knights (The same people who made Eternal Darkness) so, Psycho Mantis is like:

You like playing Nintendo? You like to play Silicon Knights games? Did you enjoy playing Eternal Darkness?

Apart from the fact that Eternal Darkness is a piece of shit that I'm ashamed to have in my Gamecube collection, it was just really cheesy. Eurgh. Also, did you see the Gamecube in the room where you fight the exoskeleton ninja (Gray Fox) and how they incorporated the Mario & Yoshi figures into the cut-scene?...

I'm not sure why Nintendo did that, MGS is an adult game, there's no need or all the cheesy horse shit.

I haven't played it on Gamecube
Right, MGS 1 (Or The Twin Snakes) was the best game. Best story line and best game play by far.

MGS 2 had a ridiculous story line. By the end, it seemed to me like they didn't actually have a script, and gave the voice actors Crack. Don't get me wrong, the GW Colonel was class, but the whole 'They've been dead for 100 years' was a wee bit silly.

I haven't got round to MGS 3. I need to.
Just to clarify, MGS: Twin Snakes is a lot different to the original MGS.

Quote by Smokey Amp

I know

I would like to play it but i've never seen it anywhere

-_-
Quote by _Mayday_
?

"Who's footprints are these?"

Love that game.

!

Arghawhatsthathole!!

(I swear thats what they say)
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Last edited by Metal_Rich at Jan 24, 2007,
when I had MGS for my PS it was great, even though i sold it and my ps like 6 years ago but I remember that game as being probably the best game ever played. You simply never knew what is going to happen next, and unlike other people said that it was always biased as "you clear 3 rooms and then its a boss", i cant agree with that. For instance, how friggin cool was it to rappel down a wall while being shot at from a Mi-24. How on earth is that predictable? And i did actually enjoy all these things which linked mgs to being a game, like looking for the codec number at the back of the CD case. Oh and MGS 2 sucked monkey balls: shittiest storyline i have seen in my entire life.
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

Quote by Smokey Amp

I didn't find it that different. But I haven't played MGS1 for quite some time. Please explain further.
Quote by _Mayday_
I didn't find it that different. But I haven't played MGS1 for quite some time. Please explain further.

It's mainly just the game play aspects that are different. New aspects incorporated, such as:

- Choking guards.

- Dragging guards.

- Holding-up guards

- Guard dogtags.

- Popping out from a corner and shooting.

- 1st person shooting.

- Extra items like books and magazines to distract enemies.

There's also all those extra cut-scene parts I mentioned above, that are Nintendo related and retarded.

Quote by Smokey Amp
It's mainly just the game play aspects that are different. New aspects incorporated, such as:

- Choking guards.

- Dragging guards.

- Holding-up guards

- Guard dogtags.

- Popping out from a corner and shooting.

- 1st person shooting.

- Extra items like books and magazines to distract enemies.

Oh yeah. *Slaps head*

Quote by 'Smokey Amp'
There's also all those extra cut-scene parts I mentioned above, that are Nintendo related and retarded.

The cut scenes were great, I felt that they didn't over do them. I also enjoyed the Nintendo references. A bit of fun's always good.