I have a Sovtek tube head which i need to repair. I figure i might as well repair it instead of buying a new amp head. So once i fix it, what type of cab would you recommend for shows? Do you guys recommend i even fix the amp head? Have any of you ever tried or even heard of Sovtek cus i haven't seen it in any store.

Any feedback would help a lot cus i have a show coming up soon with my band
Class of 2010

University of California, Santa Barbara
I've heard of Sovtek tubes, so I assume they might make amps for their tubes aswell (like Electro-Harmonix and Groove Tubes). I recommend a 4x12 cab. Can't go wrong. Just make sure you find one with an appropriate wattage rating.

I Guesstimate that the Sovtek is...50w?
If you've got the money then get a marshall 1960, its like the industry standard.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Actually the Sovtek is 160w... how much are those marshalls?

EDIT: my mistake... it says for loudspeaker 50w, i'm guessing that's what you were talking about?
Class of 2010

What kinda power tubes does it have, and how many are there?

Quote by JordantheAxe
If you've got the money then get a marshall 1960, its like the industry standard.
Wierd that such shite cabs are the industry standard. Don't ya think?
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
What kinda power tubes does it have, and how many are there?

I believe it has two, or three... Those are the clear tubes right? I'm sorry i dont' know much about tube heads
Class of 2010

They're the bigger ones of the lot. I wouldn't think it was 160w with 3 tubes anyway. That's all I was checking.
These go to eleven...
hm, well where the power supply thing is it says 160W but for the inputs it says 50W for the speakers or something like that... Well i counted two of the bigger looking ones....

So how many wattage would you suggest the cab have and what ype since you think marshalls aren'r that great anyways? i saw this VOX cab for about 300 bucks i think that's good right?
Class of 2010

Pretty much any production cab will handle 50w. Don't worry about matching wattages, as long as the cab is more than the head puts out. What you should worry about is impedance, measured in ohms. Any info on the back of the head?
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Jan 24, 2007,
oh yeah? hmm, well good to hear... thanks
Class of 2010

lol tis cool... hmm, well near the power supply it says 110/220 V AC and under it 50/60 Hz

for the louspeakers it has a 4 8 and 16 channel, i'm assuming those are for Ohms
and i think the model is Sovtek MIG-50

if it matters, it got messed up after a while of being used with a marshall. can't remember which type it was, but do yo uthink this can handle a regular 4x12 cab?
Class of 2010

Yeah, it should. Since it has either 16,8, or 4ohm outputs, it should take any cab.
These go to eleven...
for sure... thanks man *thumbs up*
Class of 2010

The Mig 50 is based around the bassman circuitry, but given an extra gain stage, so you can get some great sounds from them. In fact, Mark Cameron modded migs in his early efforts.

I would pay to have it repaired and have a master volume control added. Then go with a Marshall 1960b cab.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.