Page 1 of 2
What would you guys would say a good wood is for a guitar build which is relitavely cheap?

Thanks

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
depends what tone you want.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Alder.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Could someone post some examples of prices like:

Alder = £???

And then go up to better quality woods?

Thanks a lot.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Alder = $50

There's really no such thing as a higher grade tonewood honestly. Any defect free wood will do the job, you don't have to go paying $150 for the highest grade alder.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
Alder = $50

There's really no such thing as a higher grade tonewood honestly. Any defect free wood will do the job, you don't have to go paying $150 for the highest grade alder.

Chris

Thanks for the advice. Ill be adding that to my shopping list :P

Do you no and reliable UK suppliers?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

there's an entire sticky...it's the get started on customizing one. go check that.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
there's an entire sticky...it's the get started on customizing one. go check that.

Yeah, ive read that, I was just seeing what peoples opnions were on some suppliers.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

agathis is used in the bc rich mockingbird.

basswood and alder too.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
agathis is used in the bc rich mockingbird.

basswood and alder too.

Agathis =
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Agathis =

That statement is about as ignorant as it gets.
Agathis is used in lower end guitars (think BC Rich), who are notorious for having shite quality parts and pickups. I'm sure if you used the nicest mahogany with a maple cap and still had the same quality parts, it would sound as bad as an agathis guitar with good quality parts.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by AlGeeEater
That statement is about as ignorant as it gets.

Or, I have have an opinion, in which case you can screw off.
Quote by dudetheman

Speculating is hardly an opinion. While still an opinion, it's just a conjecture. Why state your opinion, whilst adding to the confusion and incorrect information already floating around here, when it's not definitive? Beats me.

Although you do have every single right to your own opinion, I know it's already based off the garbage spewed around here about agathis being crappy.
Quote by AlGeeEater
Speculating is hardly an opinion. While still an opinion, it's just a conjecture. Why state your opinion, whilst adding to the confusion and incorrect information already floating around here, when it's not definitive? Beats me.

Although you do have every single right to your own opinion, I know it's already based off the garbage spewed around here about agathis being crappy.

"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
ok the best cheap tonewood is maple, its cheap, strong, resonant, and has a nice grain
nuff said
Quote by peever
ok the best cheap tonewood is maple, its cheap, strong, resonant, and has a nice grain
nuff said

A solid maple body would be incredibly heavy and be really, really bright sounding.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
A solid maple body would be incredibly heavy and be really, really bright sounding.

yeah, it can be very heavy, add a belly cut and some horn and heel reduction and its not that heavy
as for brightness it also depends on the pickups, if it was with dimarzio's yes, then it would be ear splitting
what does every one have against agathais its not that bad your ears drums wont burst if you listen to a guitar made out of it
what does every one have against agathais its not that bad your ears drums wont burst if you listen to a guitar made out of it

its just not a great tonewood, your right its not gonna burst your ear drums, but its pretty bad
Quote by peever
its just not a great tonewood, your right its not gonna burst your ear drums, but its pretty bad

And you're basing this opinion off what? What others around here say about tonewood? I *just* got done explaining this to somebody else, in this same exact thread.
The cheapest are probably Agathis and Poplar but they arent too popular and apparently (I have no experiance with either except once on agathis) don't sound too great. The time i used an agathis guitar i was using a good amp so i'm not sure where the good sound was from.

And some cheap to middle priced would be, Alder, used in Fenders and Jacksons and Basswood, used i a lot of Ibanezes.

Some higher priced ones would be, Mahogany, used in ones like gibson has a warm darker tone.
Ash/Swamp ash, also used by fender, had a brighter tone and a snazzier grain than alder.
And I guess things like Korina come under this but also I have no info/experiance with this.
meranti is what i use sounds quite nice though it can splinter if your not carefull, its about £32-dewsons but you get it in planks so cut it in half then glue the two half together
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Wow lots of people dont know the beauty of Agathais, it can be an amazing tonewood. The issue of Agathais is that it needs to be cut right, it needs to be a perfect piece of the quartersawn wood other wise the intonation will be off and different notes will be muddy. I have played an agathais made by ed roman custom guitars, and it is hard to find something so brilliant. If you can get your hands on good wood then you can make the guitar sound good. It is also really cheap because all of the guitar companies are going after Mahogany, Alder, Ash and Maple. As for the heavyness of maple, its much lighter then the two solid mahogany guitars that i have built (well im building the second).

As for suppliers, you can get some great deals on the ebay stores, call around your area and see who carries exotic hardwoods, you might have to pay a little bit more but the wood will be high grade. But make sure you have a "Wood Person" with you so they can make sure you dont get ripped off.

Hope this helps,
Silvik
Quote by Tooch0007
The issue of Agathais is that it needs to be cut right, it needs to be a perfect piece of the quartersawn wood other wise the intonation will be off and different notes will be muddy. I have played an agathais made by ed roman custom guitars, and it is hard to find something so brilliant.

Did Ed Roman tell you that?

Chris
Why the **** would the intonation be off if the plank wasn't quartersawn?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Well thanks for all that information. If say I was going to save up about £300-£400 for a guitar, what would be a decent wood?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

What kind of tone do you want out of it?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
What kind of tone do you want out of it?

Something similar to my Epi LP, but something that has a hint of a strat. I play mainly classic rock, rock and blues.

What do you reccomend?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by AlGeeEater

Well, aren't you nice and presumptuous? How do you know that I don't have my own opinion formulated about tonewoods?

Oh, yeah, you don't.
Quote by dudetheman

You can't get a recommendation for a tonewood just based on what you're wanting to play from it. A big factor in your tone depends on the pickups used. Dual humbuckers? 3 single coils? These will severly affect what tonewood you should use for the application.

Chris
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Well, aren't you nice and presumptuous?

Yep.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
How do you know that I don't have my own opinion formulated about tonewoods?

Because I highly doubt you've ever played an agathis guitar that's decent. Decent pickups, decent construction. You're obviously just repeating what others on this forum say about agathis. Jumping on the bandwagon to feel smart huh?

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Oh, yeah, you don't.

Well, aren't you nice and presumptuous? You're about as ignorant as it gets. It's pretty sad, actually. Why don't you just run along now, and go help people with topics you actually have experience on. You obviously have zero experience with anything luthier related.

So, would you mind explaining to me, in detail, what's so bad about agathis? I'd LOVE to hear your response.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
Yep.

Because I highly doubt you've ever played an agathis guitar that's decent. Decent pickups, decent construction. You're obviously just repeating what others on this forum say about agathis. Jumping on the bandwagon to feel smart huh?

Well, aren't you nice and presumptuous? You're about as ignorant as it gets. It's pretty sad, actually. Why don't you just run along now, and go help people with topics you actually have experience on. You obviously have zero experience with anything luthier related.

So, would you mind explaining to me, in detail, what's so bad about agathis? I'd LOVE to hear your response.

Chris

Fuck being luthier related, I'm talking about the tone. I don't like the way agathis sounds. It's just dull to my ears. You do not know that I'm repeating other people's opinions, you are assuming that. I don't feel the need to prove myself to you, because I'm not that petty.

Maybe I haven't played a "decent" guitar made out of agathis. Change my mind: give me an example of one and I'll try it out. In the meantime, shut up.
Quote by dudetheman

Dull?

Nice attempt, atleast. Your opinion really holds no validity though. Oh well.
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by AlGeeEater
Dull?

Nice attempt, atleast. Your opinion really holds no validity though. Oh well.

Prove me wrong. Give me an example of a nice guitar made of agathis. If I like, it might change my opinion. For now, your words mean nothing.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Prove me wrong. Give me an example of a nice guitar made of agathis. If I like, it might change my opinion. For now, your words mean nothing.

I don't see how I can prove you wrong, really. I know agathis' true potential, I've built two guitars out of it. How many guitars made of agathis have you built? You're failing to realize agathis is used in low end guitars, where the quality of the guitar in general is VERY poor. Why? Because agathis is a cheaper alternative to higher end woods. There's nothing wrong with it at all. There's no such thing as bad tonewood period, anything will work. They all have different characteristics that make them different, but bad? No.

My words mean more than yours, just based on the experience i've had with it, and the lack of experience you've had with it.
Quote by AlGeeEater
I don't see how I can prove you wrong, really. I know agathis' true potential, I've built two guitars out of it. How many guitars made of agathis have you built? You're failing to realize agathis is used in low end guitars, where the quality of the guitar in general is VERY poor. Why? Because agathis is a cheaper alternative to higher end woods. There's nothing wrong with it at all. There's no such thing as bad tonewood period, anything will work. They all have different characteristics that make them different, but bad? No.

My words mean more than yours, just based on the experience i've had with it, and the lack of experience you've had with it.

Being a luthier gives you a greater opinion about what sounds better? Now that's just elitist bullshit. I realize quite fully that agathis is used in lower-end guitars. Maybe that's why I've taken it to sound bad. I've never had a problem with you before this thread. I'd always respected your opinion and your skill as a luthier. But right now you're just coming off as an anonymous asshole. If, instead of flaming my opinion and accusing me of bandwagon jumping (which I am not), you had gave an attempt to prove your point, instead of merely telling me, we could have avoided this. Alas, instead you decided to be a Internet bully and simply tell me I'm wrong.
Quote by dudetheman

Page 1 of 2