Alright, in my shop class, I'm making a body for a guitar. Probably going to be an Explorer style, just a little bit more metal looking. The problem is that I want to use mahogany for my body, and we only have 1 inch thick mahogany available. If I glued two pieces together really snug, would that kill my sustain?
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
i wouldnt think it would, people put caps on guitars, its usually smaller than an inch, and a different type of wood, but if done correctly, i dont see why it wouldnt work
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
It should work fine. I've seen a lot of bodies with mahogany with a maple top and things like that and it was fine.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
remeber that maple tops are usually 3/16 of an inch thick
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I could go the extra mile and find a 2 in. thick mahogany if i have to.. should i do that?
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

i would, for cosmetic purposes, but if it is at a cost to you, or you will be painting it a solid color, i wouldn't worry about it.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Here's how I look at it, if you're building a guitar why sell yourself short? You might as well go the extra mile and get the 2" (although, you'd have to plane it down to 1-3/4") mahogany? There's no point in cheaping out at the BASIS of the guitar.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
and if you do that make sure that the grain runs parallel, otherwise you have plywood.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Well, I'm painting it a solid color.. but I'm worried about the sound. Are you sure it will be ok? i have an unlimited stock of 1'' mahogany and i have a feeling that putting a floyd rose on it im gonna feck it up once or twice, while if i screw up on my 2'' im done with it. is everyone sure that the 2 or three pieces glued together will be ok?
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab