I recently spent a couple of weeks reading music theory so I can develop my ear. I understand how to make all the major scales on paper, but I dont know how to apply them to the guitar. I know that you cant just play it in one spot because there are many C's on the guitar. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499799&highlight=intervals
I have one question about the 2nd diagram in the middle of this link. Dont you start the C scale with C? On the fretchart there the note specified to play first is B then the root note right after which is depicted by the square. Also, if you play from the C on the 8th fret G string to the C on the 10 fret of the D string is that considered one octave? And you would deterine this octave by imagining the way the notes look on paper because you would play exactly one octave...right? Further, the 2nd diagram shows the C major sacale being played across two octaves because of the two C notes, the last being on the high E string correct? The question that confuses me the most is could I just pick any C on the guitar and build a scale on it and call it one octave or two if I cross over one C and this how people build scales?

Big thanks to anyone that can clarify this. I'm really putting effort into this because I want to really understand the guitar.
You do start the C major scale on C, but that second diagram shows all in-scale notes in that general area.

The 8th fret of G is Eb. That note isn't in the scale, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Quote by romanguard
One comment says that you have to strictly start on the note of the scale.
Sort of. Technically, it should start on the root note, but when you're writing out scale fingerings, it's silly to exclude in-scale notes that are in the position.

Quote by romanguard
Also its implied that you can build a scale anywhere I think as long as you use the right notes of the scale.
That's true. A scale is nothing more than a group of notes. While there are standard fingerings, you can make up your own.
I think in a way.. . I answered my own questions. Im just kind of fearful i guess of applying scales to the guitar the wrong way. Thanks for your help there. Its funny because I read a month old thread in which you helped someone on understanding modes and maaaaaaan that was one long post you wrote. Im also learning from that one too.
ok I want to go on and ask a question about the C major chord, instead of starting a new thread. Following the triad rules to buidl a major triad from the C major scale you would select C-E-G. When you apply this to the guitar ....the usual Cmajor chord from various chord books and charts that has you play Two root notes of C two 3rds of E and one 5th of G. Ok im going to pull this excerpt straight from a guitar book im reading....."doubling one or more notes is required. The note most often doubled is the tonic. THis reinforces the overall sound of the chord and stresses the key center. Doubling the fifth strengthens the stability of the chord and doubling the 3rd emphasizes the tonality ( whether it is major or minor). the choice of what notes are doubled and their vertical placement creates what is considered the voicing of the chord. The most important notes are always the highest and lowest" What is the voicing of the chord and how do you understand what notes to double. The E mjor chord has differnt notes doubled than the C major.
You don't have to double any notes to play a chord. This is an acceptable C major chord, and no notes are doubled.

D-5-
A-7-
E-8-
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 24, 2007,
C

6 5 4 3 2 1
______o___o
|_|_|_|_o_|
|_|_o_|_|_|
|_o_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|

This is what Im trying to understand. I can see that you could just play those three notes. But often when you look at a chord chart , you see this and there are more notes than just C E G. Usually the 6th string is not played.
Quote by romanguard
is what Im trying to understand. I can see that you could just play those three notes. But often when you look at a chord chart , you see this and there are more notes than just C E G. Usually the 6th string is not played.
And your question is...?
Quote by romanguard
When you strum that chord why would you play the other notes that are heard?
You double notes for the reasons listed in your book. The book explains what happens when you double notes well. It was just incorrect in saying that you must double notes.

The basic E shape has different notes doubled than the basic C shape because those notes are easy to play on the guitar and other notes are hard to double. That's one of the few limitations of the guitar.

Edit: Please use the edit button and combine your double-posts into one post. You can have multiple posts in this thread, but please, no consecutive posts.

Thank you.
Ok i understand your point about the chord doubling. Sorry about the posting problem, I really don't post that much and I didnt know about the rule about the consecutive posting. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
overall, thanks for bearing with me on this . I feel like I kind of wore you out with these beginner questions, but you helped me a LOT! I'm going to really to try to practice the scales and learn the chords by building them with notes and not with charts. Thank you very much