Can you guys give me some suggestions on some really good metal/rock distortion pedals? I've been looking for one for a while now, but I haven't been able to find one I want. Thanks for the help.
Boss Metal Zone
Marshall Jackhammer
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Gear
Agile Septor 7
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone G-400
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Peavey Classic 50
Hi, I play a lot of metal and tried out a load of distortion pedals recently. Top ones i came out with were the digitech death metal (which was a really pleasant surprise - I was expecting it to suck) and the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (The Russian one) which is the one I ended up buying. Hope this helps!
I've heard good things about the Digitech Heavy Metal Master. Should I bother looking at that, or should I just focus on Boss or EH?
Distortion is one of the pedals you absolutely have to try out for yourself, look into everydamn one of them, and if you can, try them out. I had the Digitech Death metal and it was just terrible, wayyyy to digital. If you're looking for rock/metal distortion you might want to look into some toned down pedals, the ones people are naming have quite a bit of distortion. Check out the cheaper boss distortion pedals, although they're cheap, they have been chosen by guitarists such as Satriani, Vai, Gilbert and so on. Boss Ds-1... etc.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
EH Metal Muff
Pro Co Turbo RAT (maybe, depends what kinda tone you want)
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by FuriousRyder
Boss Metal Zone
Marshall Jackhammer
Ibanez Tubescreamer

I personally don't like the Metal Zone's distortion, and the Tubescreamers are OD pedals. There is a difference.
Dan Donegan's "The Weapon" and Scott Ian's "Black 13" pedals gave me a really good metal sound. Now I just gotta tweak em a bit to give me exactly what I want.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
HBE Big D. I assume the full metal jacket is good too, but I haven't tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BOSS is the best hands down. Go witha mega ditortion or metal zone. If you want somthin different ive heard some of those "tube distoriton pedals" Are cool. Theyre distortion pedals with tubes inside!
i would not go with digitech. I heard personally from a guitarworld cd rom that slipknot's MICK uses a digitech distortion pedal to make it "Disgusting and sound like shit."
Quote by schecterboy3000
BOSS is the best hands down. Go witha mega ditortion or metal zone. If you want somthin different ive heard some of those "tube distoriton pedals" Are cool. Theyre distortion pedals with tubes inside!
i would not go with digitech. I heard personally from a guitarworld cd rom that slipknot's MICK uses a digitech distortion pedal to make it "Disgusting and sound like shit."

Bullshit, HBE pwns boss like the way porsche pwns yugo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by schecterboy3000
I heard personally from a guitarworld cd rom that slipknot's MICK uses a digitech distortion pedal to make it "Disgusting and sound like shit."

^ +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hehe - No wonder the dude from Slipnot sounds like a piece of shit playing a guitar(IMO).

If I were you, I'd try out as many distortion pedals as you can.

- Boss
- HBE
- MXR
- DigiTech
- Danelectro
- Electro-Harmonix
+ More
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

i heard people say the Bad Monkey (DigiTech) is good ... cheap to 60$ i think
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by TinTin8
i heard people say the Bad Monkey (DigiTech) is good ... cheap to 60$ i think

that's an OD, not distortion. I personally like the DigiTech Grunge, it covers a huge spectrum of sounds.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
that's an OD, not distortion. I personally like the DigiTech Grunge, it covers a huge spectrum of sounds.

tube screamer is too ... & it wouldnt matter, basic principle ... different type
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by Crimson_tornado
Hi, I play a lot of metal and tried out a load of distortion pedals recently. Top ones i came out with were the digitech death metal (which was a really pleasant surprise - I was expecting it to suck) and the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (The Russian one) which is the one I ended up buying. Hope this helps!

Yeah, the Digitech's pretty solid. I've had mine for a year and a bit, and only really started using it again now and it surprised me when combined with my Crate.
And it's damn good for it's price. (about $100 or so Canadian)
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com