Im not sure what has happened. I've been playing guitar for 2+ years now (Maybe 3? I cant remember)..Anyways 1 week ago my wrist started to hurt -- the one week when I couldnt stop practicing. I was playing my first show last weekend. So I practiced the whole week on it - not excruciating pain - until the end of the week. It's now at the point where it can hurt doing simple things like lifting things with the wrist. Has any one else encountered this? I dont have bad form, but the songs I was playing required alot of thumb use.

Just wondering on any ideas? I have obviously turned the guitar playing every day down to 10 minutes or less (from 4 hours ). I really would like some advice or similar experiences before I book a doctor.
do you get enough calcium? drink milk and stuff. It might not just be a guitar thing. You might just be weak in the wrists.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Quote by noah22791
do you get enough calcium? drink milk and stuff. It might not just be a guitar thing. You might just be weak in the wrists.

I drink tons of milk. I might go pick up some vitamins or something though. Thanks. Anybody else?
I have had the same problem. Warm up slow before you play. After you are warm stretch you hands. Make a fist and stretch out one finger at a time. Then straighten your fingers and push one back. Your hand will feel better and it will improve playing. You can pick up hand strengtheners at any sports store for like $2 they help a lot with cramping and will improve your playing. And don’t forget to do finger exercises when you practice. Guitar is like a sport the you need to be in shape to do it.
Quote by MoreCowbell SB
I have had the same problem. Warm up slow before you play. After you are warm stretch you hands. Make a fist and stretch out one finger at a time. Then straighten your fingers and push one back. Your hand will feel better and it will improve playing. You can pick up hand strengtheners at any sports store for like $2 they help a lot with cramping and will improve your playing. And don’t forget to do finger exercises when you practice. Guitar is like a sport the you need to be in shape to do it.

Man I appreciate it a million times. I'm gonna stretch my hands out for sure next time. I was starting to feel pretty bad about my future of guitar playing, some light is ahead I hope.
It could be Carple Tunnel Syndrom... If it doesn't go away in a few days, then go to your doc!
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
It could be Carple Tunnel Syndrom... If it doesn't go away in a few days, then go to your doc!

thats wat i was thinkin... i dont know too much about Carpal Tunnel, but that sounds like what it could be... like he said if it doesnt go away definatley go see a doctor
Quote by |2eM!x
Im not sure what has happened. I've been playing guitar for 2+ years now (Maybe 3? I cant remember)..Anyways 1 week ago my wrist started to hurt -- the one week when I couldnt stop practicing. I was playing my first show last weekend. So I practiced the whole week on it - not excruciating pain - until the end of the week. It's now at the point where it can hurt doing simple things like lifting things with the wrist. Has any one else encountered this? I dont have bad form, but the songs I was playing required alot of thumb use.

Just wondering on any ideas? I have obviously turned the guitar playing every day down to 10 minutes or less (from 4 hours ). I really would like some advice or similar experiences before I book a doctor.

I've suffered with Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) of which carpal tunnel is just one form. (It is what inspired me to build a guitar with better ergonomics.) Warming up and then gently stretching is a great idea. Building up speed slowly helps as well. Another thing I found helped a great deal was icing. Its not comfortable but icing reduces swelling which is part of the problem. Typically, its not recommended for more than 15-20 minutes. Also, look at any other activities that might be contributing such as time in front of the computer with a poor setup or excessive gaming. All that said, if you're at the point where even lifting things with your wrist is painful, you should be seeing a doctor. Good luck!

Regards,

Rob
Last edited by ririzarry at Apr 7, 2007,
You really dont specify what part of the wrist. I had the same thing? My wrist hurt on the side of my wrist, when I moved my thumb.
Hurt to hold and open a soda can.

What I had was DeQuervins (I think the spelling may be off).

I did not touch my guitar for a month. It slowly got better, finally I went to the doctor and got a cortisone shot. To be on the safe side I rested for a day, pain gone.
If you have the pain I had, milk does no good, exercises do no good, pain medication does no good, creams do no good. Do not play through the pain.
See a doctor. I lost about 6-7 weeks of playing when I could have gotten a shot.

If you want to stregthen your hands/wrist/forarms, use the motocrosser method: crumple sheets of newpaper with you hand.

Carpel tunnel is in the middle of the wrist.
Extra strength asprin worked for me. I took about three pills every day for about 3-4 days. I've been good ever since. It was probably just psychosomatic in my case.
I appreciate these posts so much! Your giving a saddened guitarist some hope .. What makes me upset is that I play rhythm (Sp?) so I am not moving my hands around as much as other guitarist, so I don't really understand why it is happening.

Anyways I'm going to take some tylenol for a few days and see a doctor. Any other advice is welcome
Seriously, see your doctor or visit a hand doctor if your insurance covers it with out a referal.

My playing time was cut just like yours. If it is as bad as mine was, Tylenol did not help one bit. I was just bummed out that I wasted all that time with ice, medicine, stretching exercises, etc.
maybe visit a doctor...i have to same problem but i have different circumstances, i have a metal plate in my wrist
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
How low is the 6-string slung ?

Do a lot of 6-string barred chords ?
This is basically on topic, but my wrist does this too. Whenever I try playing Crazy Train my wrist gets extremely sore and hurts when I quit and flex it. This occurs after only a short time of practicing that song, so I usually go play something else.
Quote by AcsticRckr89
thats wat i was thinkin... i dont know too much about Carpal Tunnel, but that sounds like what it could be... like he said if it doesnt go away definatley go see a doctor

eh i don't really beilieve in carpel tunnel cuase from what i've ehard it's really just a weakness of the muscle and muscles always hurt when they're weak and go through exercise. could be tendonnitus from all the praacticing . if it keeps going on then see a doc like they said.

i get this when i pratice and play for a aextended period of time normally oges away in a day.
I think seeing a doctor is a good idea, as soon as possible. You wouldn't want to accidentally cause more damage.
Quote by rockstar2001
eh i don't really beilieve in carpel tunnel cuase from what i've ehard it's really just a weakness of the muscle and muscles always hurt when they're weak and go through exercise. could be tendonnitus from all the praacticing . if it keeps going on then see a doc like they said.

i get this when i pratice and play for a aextended period of time normally oges away in a day.

Carpal tunnel syndrome and other forms of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) are FAR more complicated than mere muscle weakness. RSI involves muscles, tendons, and nerves. BTW - Tendonitis is nothing to take lightly either. If someone has any doubts, go see a doctor. PLEASE.

Regards,

Rob
Quote by Rockstar2001
Sweet monkey Jesus, please, for the love of God, everyone ignore this, it is oh so very wrong. You don't "beilieve" in carpal tunnel? You don't even know what it is. Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of nerves in the wrist, and is not just muscle fatigue as you "beilieve". It is very serious. A case of carpal tunnel caused by overuse (as opposed to something reversible like a metabolic problem) will permanently retard your ability to play guitar, and a serious case might render you permanently unable to.

Tendonitis is also far more serious than people think - tendons heal very slowly and rarely regain their full strength. Shoddy advice like this has probably stopped plenty of people from getting their problems looked at, with long lasting negative effects. Oh, and learn to spell.

If you feel pain, stop playing guitar. If it doesn't go away, or if it keeps coming back, see a doctor. I had a friend who gave himself tendonitis playing his new Strat too much. Long story short, he couldn't play more than twenty minutes a day for the better part of a year.

Robert: Your ergonomic guitar looks really interesting. It's a great concept, and it has far more to it than the average "I want to build myself an Explorer!" thread. It's a bit of a shock at first, but after a couple of minutes I found myself thinking "that looks like of cool from the back". How does it balance?
Last edited by scrilly at Jan 27, 2007,
Quote by scrilly
Robert: Your ergonomic guitar looks really interesting. It's a great concept, and it has far more to it than the average "I want to build myself an Explorer!" thread. It's a bit of a shock at first, but after a couple of minutes I found myself thinking "that looks like of cool from the back". How does it balance?
Thanks, scrilly! The build is based on the Klein Electric Guitar. It is a bit of a shock for some. It's certainly not the usual.

Balance is excellent either sitting or standing. What little weight exists (it barely weighs 6 lb) balances very well due to the shape and the headless design. Dig around a bit on the site. I tried to step through the various stages so there's a great deal more detail there. Also, there is a forum thread on the build which will shed additional light. In either case, I enjoy fielding comments, questions and suggestions so fire away!

Regards,

Rob
Last edited by ririzarry at Jan 26, 2007,
Quote by ririzarry
Carpal tunnel syndrome and other forms of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) are FAR more complicated than mere muscle weakness. RSI involves muscles, tendons, and nerves. BTW - Tendonitis is nothing to take lightly either. If someone has any doubts, go see a doctor. PLEASE.

Regards,

Rob

yeah becuase although it might not seem like much it can be.