Hi guys/gals

Im looking for some basic help here, basically. A breakdown of the different sounds from different strings... or quite simply. 9 is default? (Correct me if im wrong, i think i am) Whats a thicker string gauge mean? And whats a thinner one mean? Soundwise.... is it worth changing, i have a floyd rose so... alot of effort.

Thanks in advance
the only reason to change to a thicker string guage is if u want to drop tune really low
standard or drop d the set up u have is probably ideal
StueyALBB
thicker strings also have a slightly darker sound than thin ones.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
thicker strings (heavier gauges) sound more warm, and give more tone
thin strings (light gauges) tend to sound trebely
almost similar to pickups
depends what tuning you use and what sound you want
[Member of the Ibanez S Players Club.] Pm striketalonx to join

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
Basically, the fatter the string, the fuller the tone you will get from it. This is especially true on the lower, wound strings.

People argue quite alot over this, but my stance is that having thinner gauge strings on the top will not create a discernable difference in tone, but using thicker bottom strings will give you a chunkier sound.

Obviously, the thicker the string, the harder work it is to get those huge bends due to the extra tension. However, having tight bass strings is quite a good thing if you play metal or other aggressive styles as they should allow you to play with more precision.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference (as with pretty much everything to do with guitar). i like to use either 9-46 or 9-50 gauge strings as these offer a good balance of playability on the high strings and rock solid riffability on the bottom ones.
i prefer medium strings, because i can drop to D, and i love the feeling and sound... i haven't tried heavy strings, yet... maybe i'll do that next time i change them...
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up