Hey there. I've been playing the guitar for about 2 and a half years now and have been pretty happy so far. Until recently I was content just playing along without any sort of singing involved. Then all of a sudden I developed an ambition to be able to sing along while playing. So I tried it out and found that I can't do it whatsoever. I try to sing and I lose all rhythm in my strumming or picking. I try to play and I can't seem to make myself sing the song properly. I've tried really simple stuff so far and I can't get it to work. The latest song I've learned was Howie Days "Collide" which took me like half an hour to figure out but I still can't sing along to it no matter how hard I try. The only song I've been able to do is friggin Wild Thing which is pretty much the simplest tune I know.

I've never been an amazing singer and I've never really had any burning ambition to be the lead singer in a band. All I want to do is serenade my girlfriend and mabye sing a song for my friends once in a while but I can't manage to make my fingers and my mouth work at the same time.

Any suggestions?
... don't serenade your girlfriend. That's so sappy and fake man, just get some class and write a story or poem for her.

As for your problem the only answer is practice. I had the same problem as you once, then I turned 12.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Start with Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

I Miss You (Acoustic) by Incubus is fairly easy to sing a long to, as well. The chorus seems ab it challenging, I haven't really tried that yet.

I have the same problem. I think you just have to start practicing the hell out of your songs until you know the exact finger movements and chord changes without even thinking.
Start out very slow, and you'll notice things like "I sing this when I play this." Then, just work your way up to normal speed. Use a metronome, if you have one.
same problem... haven't tried fixing it yet... except with songs where the guitarist slows down for the singing part... even then
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
you just need to no a song so well you can play it subconsciously...then you put the guitar to the back of your mind and the singing at the front.
ok, what i did, is i played while reading and doing my homework
it works...
rock and fucking roll
it just takes time to get rhythem and timing
you didnt learn to play the guitar in a couple of weeks
practice practice and practice and you will get it sooner or later
Quote by _-Skeletor-_
you just need to no a song so well you can play it subconsciously...then you put the guitar to the back of your mind and the singing at the front.

Thumbs up...
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
just start with simple stuff, stuff where the vocal melody mimmicks the guitar part, stuff like "you really got me" by the kinks, or any early era Sabbath stuff, then eventually you'll get it, don't worry I had the exact same problem, but just practice and it'll come along
LISTEN TO MONSTER MAGNET
Try the first song I ever learned to play with singing, "Sex & Candy" by Marcy Playground.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
thats what happened with me, but if you just do it for awhile, it becomes a no brainer, the only one i cant do is "back in black" by acdc, the guitar and the vocals have like no sync whatsoever. try some NOFX or all american rejects or greenday.
Mr Jones by Counting Crows
Quote by ryknow157
no.. why?.. because im a man.. i shit in the woods and wipe my ass with rocks..
I can sing while playing, unless it's something where your picking goes up and down the guitar, I find it hard.
Quote by Quin
Hey there. I've been playing the guitar for about 2 and a half years now and have been pretty happy so far. Until recently I was content just playing along without any sort of singing involved. Then all of a sudden I developed an ambition to be able to sing along while playing. So I tried it out and found that I can't do it whatsoever. I try to sing and I lose all rhythm in my strumming or picking. I try to play and I can't seem to make myself sing the song properly. I've tried really simple stuff so far and I can't get it to work. The latest song I've learned was Howie Days "Collide" which took me like half an hour to figure out but I still can't sing along to it no matter how hard I try. The only song I've been able to do is friggin Wild Thing which is pretty much the simplest tune I know.

I've never been an amazing singer and I've never really had any burning ambition to be the lead singer in a band. All I want to do is serenade my girlfriend and mabye sing a song for my friends once in a while but I can't manage to make my fingers and my mouth work at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Practice. You really have to know the lyrics and know the song. Here are some things you can do:

1) Humm the vocals often
2) Play the song with your eyes closed
3) Use a recording device to record yourself playing, then sing along to it
4) Most important, keep trying, or else it will never come! You most likely will screw up a lot, but eventually it'll smooth out.
Quote by Muphin
... don't serenade your girlfriend. That's so sappy and fake man, just get some class and write a story or poem for her.

As for your problem the only answer is practice. I had the same problem as you once, then I turned 12.

Hehe, no offence but have you ever asked a woman about that? They LOVE that kind of thing. Believe me.
Quote by Quin
Hehe, no offence but have you ever asked a woman about that? They LOVE that kind of thing. Believe me.

No, we don't.

"Awww, that was sweet of you!" = "Ohh... I... uh... thanks..."
Quote by Muphin

Way to be a smart-ass?
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
Quote by Quin

Any suggestions?

Just start off with some really simple songs. Try "Something In The Way" By Nirvana. Its only 3 chords thru it all, nothing past the fourth fret. It's a cool song, plus its really easy to play and sing. Heck, maybe your girlfriend would like if you sung Something In The Way. Chicks love the slow songs, man.
But yeah, just start off with a simple song and make sure you've pretty much got it perfect, then play along with the song and try to see if you can sing and play guitar and match whatever song you're listenin to. It just takes practice, man.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
I personally never found much difficulty doing this...it kinda just came naturally. I guess to sing and play at the same time tou must be able to play the song subconciously and accuratley first. Secondly, you should learn then words and the last step would be getting your voice in tune to the guitar (you don't have to sing it exactly like the original song).
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I personally never found much difficulty doing this...it kinda just came naturally. I guess to sing and play at the same time tou must be able to play the song subconciously and accuratley first. Secondly, you should learn then words and the last step would be getting your voice in tune to the guitar (you don't have to sing it exactly like the original song).

Some people have a natural ability to coordinate like that.
Practice champ, try practising the intro to All My Life by the Foo Fighters its seriously a good song to practice it with because you got to try and not think of the guitar rhythm and sing over the top. Also maybe try some easy pop punk songs because they are easy on guitar and then you can focus on getting the timing and pitch right for the singing.
- Satch is awsome -
Quote by Tsunoyukami

X2, it was never much of a problem for me so I guess all I can say is practise.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
i used to have the exact same problem a couple weeks ago, and i still do on difficult songs.

but

I fixed it.

I taught myself a little theory and I learned to analyze songs and figure out which counts get the beat. I figured out that as long as you hit strong strums on the strong beats, you can sort of make out what your playing while singing and singing becomes much easier because accented words and vocal notes commonly occur on the strong beats as well. After you got that down, practice, practice, practice.

I probably confused you. Ah well, if you're sorta with me and you think this may help, PM me and i'll try to explain it better.
Quote by Tsunoyukami

Same thing here, I make my own songs all the time, I always wondered how come people always have problems doing this
It really takes practice. Try strumming the same chord over and over and snging lyrics or make stuff up. I recomend starting with chords which uses all six strings at first to minimalize mistakes. Then, Switch to two and three chord progressions. The first song I learned was Polly By Nirvana. Just repeat the "Polly wants a craker" part for like fifteen minutes. Also, Props to the guy who sugested NOFX. They pwn.

P.S. This doesn't mean you will be able to play every song with singing. You need to build up.
No, we don't.

"Awww, that was sweet of you!" = "Ohh... I... uh... thanks..."

Ok, 1) not every gurl in the world has the balls to play guitar (how ironic)
2) Maybe this guyz gf likes sappy poems
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
Ok, 1) not every gurl in the world has the balls to play guitar (how ironic)
2) Maybe this guyz gf likes sappy poems

Thats true, a lot of my friends get poems and show me them, bragging about how sincere it was. And correct again, I am the only female I know who plays guitar.