is there an easy way to remember all the intervals? or do i need to just buckle down and start studying? i play guitar if that helps..
Gear:
Epiphone 1958 Black flyingv
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Yamaha guitar (1st guitar)
Behringer V-ampire 112
There are five types of intervals. Diminished, minor, major, augmented, and perfect. Any interval can be any of these save for 1, 4, 5, and 8 which are perfect, diminished, or augmented. Only 1, 4, 5, and 8 can be perfect intervals.

Count up the number of notes between the two to find the interval number. Then using a scale you can determine which type of interval it is. If the note is in the key of the root note then it is a major (or perfect if 1, 4, 5, or 8). One semitone below the major interval becomes a minor interval. One note below a minor becomes diminished. One note above a major becomes augmented. One note below a perfect interval becomes diminished, and one above becomes augmented.

Perfect 1 is also called perfect unison. Perfect 8 is also called an octave.

Remember that and you are set. You don't memorize intervals, you just learn how to find them.

EDIT: Examples!

The interval between C and D is a major second, because D is in the C major scale.

The interval between Bb and Eb is a perfect 4 because Eb is in the Bb major scale.

The interval between Bb and Fb is a diminished 5 because Fb(has to be Fb, not E or the interval degree changes) is not in the Bb major scale, but is one semitone below a perfect 5.

The interval between G and F is a minor 7 because F is one semitone below the F# in the G major scale.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Last edited by Muphin at Jan 24, 2007,
well intervals is just that, intervals, once you get a grasp on the idea its not that difficult, just remember, there is always:

your root note (which is generally considered perfect i believe, correct me if im wrong mods)
a 2nd (which is either major or minor)
a 3rd (which is either major or minor)
a 4th (which is again i believe generally considered perfect)
a 5th (which is again i believe generally considered perfect)
a 6th (which is either majored or minored)
a 7th (which is either majored or minored)

the only exception that i understand the concept of that i've heard varying explanations on is a b5, i've had some people say "oh it's minor cuz its flattened from a major" and i've heard people just refer to it as a b5 (which is what i do cuz the intervalic relation ship makes more sense since a minor chord contains a perfect 5, not a b5)

edit: muphins aug/dim statements are true and accurate to this

so the easiest way to think of it might be something like.....

I, IV and V are perfect
II, III, VI, VIII are variants of major or minor

(the capital I, II, III etc refer to the intervals not the chord relations between the intervals, as we know in a major scale it would be I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii dim)

hope this helps
Last edited by z4twenny at Jan 24, 2007,
Quote by Corpse_Defier
is there an easy way to remember all the intervals? or do i need to just buckle down and start studying? i play guitar if that helps..
Perhaps these three lessons will help...

1. Introduction to Musical Intervals

2. The Group 1 Intervals

3. The Group 2 Intervals

If not, keep asking.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
thanks everyone, i have a better understanding now. im gonna study them some more, but at least i get it all now
Gear:
Epiphone 1958 Black flyingv
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Yamaha guitar (1st guitar)
Behringer V-ampire 112
i know intervals are important, but I dont really understand what I need to use them for. An example would be great, thanks in advance
Quote by yamakid17
i know intervals are important, but I dont really understand what I need to use them for. An example would be great, thanks in advance

Constructing chords, analyzing/creating melodies, and just being more knowledgeable about music in general.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation