So I've been doing PH's a lot, do them fine... most of the time. For some reason, even if I do the EXACT same thing, sometimes it just doesn't work, either it doesn't ring harmonically, or it mutes.

Wondering what's going on, equipment or guitar or me?

15Watt Fender amp
Squier Fat Strat
medium pick teardrop

Playing PH's with a J-shape picking move with thumb brushing slightly after striking.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
First of all, it's not hard to type Pinch Harmonics, and secondly, it's probably the fact you don't have hot enough pickups, or enough distortion on your amp.
^It's too bad you can do pinches on an acoustic if you have good enough technique

practice them more
I came into this thread thinking it'd be an acids and bases question...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
make sure to calculate the pOH as well and tell is if they aren't consistently adding to 14, that could be your problem.
You don't need distortion,since Nick_ is right because I can do them in my shitty acoustic,you just need to practice and improve your thecnique.Remember that the harmonic's pitch changes depending on the part of the string where you pick.Try doing them on another part.
It depends sometimes on the pickup you are using, the treble pickup picks up harmonics the best.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I came into this thread thinking it'd be an acids and bases question...

Same here. I was so confused when I started to read, then it dawned on me that he meant Pinch Harmonics...
RIP RICHARD DUNN
Practice, practice, practice.
At the beginning was like "Oh my god how do people do it EVERY TIME??"
Now my pinch harmonics squeal like a pig that just got his balls torn off.
You'll get it eventually, trust me. Just make sure to use your bridge humbucker, and a lot of gain won't hurt either.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
yeah treble pikcup, full distortion or overdrive
mute out other strings
and add vibrato
If I was talking about acids and bases I'd post in the pit heh...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I know the pickups suck, I know I need high gain, I know I need to practice, that's not what I was asking though.

If I'm using the right technique, messing with the striking location on the string, working on high gain, using the bridge pickup, if it sometimes sounds and sometimes doesn't, on the same settings, while I'm using the same technique, why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If anyone has experience with this particular problem, please let me know. Thanks for the helpful comments so far.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams