Hi, I've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years, but I don't know any music theory

I've been pretending to understand it and I tried learning before but I didn't seem to wrap my head around it and always got bored of reading.

So I found a book I bought but never seemed to use called Shred Guitar: A complete system for the rock improviser by Paul Hanson and it has a theory section and the basics.

Sometimes I don't understand what its saying, so can anyone here mind helping me with what the book is saying and I can ask questions to like on MSN or something?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
PM me if you have any questions and I can try to answer them.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Seagull S6
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo
You should check the theory lesson here,I 've been playing for a year and a half and trust me I have the talent and the abilities,since I practice like 5 hours a day,but using correct technique,even though I have the tools I had never learned to compose great songs or to do correct soloing,then I started to think that maybe I just needed some theory. I checked this site's lesson and read every page like 10 times to make sure I was understanding ,then my ability increased by learning theory. It has helped me a lot.
Check it here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

If you have any questions feel free to pm me
Yeah I kinda got discouraged, I probably read that article like a year ago, and I had no clue what he was talking about so I gave up. Its nice to see that people are being helpful though. Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
dude ive been playing for 4 years now and i can improve solo, right with chords but i never took a lesson or any formal lessons on theory, if uve come thus far without theory u prolly dont need a lot, learn chords, the notes of the fret board and a couple scales, play with intuition and skill and develope ur own style without the constraints that theory put down
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
dude ive been playing for 4 years now and i can improve solo, right with chords but i never took a lesson or any formal lessons on theory, if uve come thus far without theory u prolly dont need a lot, learn chords, the notes of the fret board and a couple scales, play with intuition and skill and develope ur own style without the constraints that theory put down

Theory does not put constraints on your style or the type of music play. That is just a myth invented by players who cannot be bothered to learn theory. Theory tells you why certain notes aound good over certain chords etc

On the subject check out www.cyberfret.com/theory/index.php

Good for new people to theory
Quote by Truckzter
Theory does not put constraints on your style or the type of music play. That is just a myth invented by players who cannot be bothered to learn theory. Theory tells you why certain notes aound good over certain chords etc

On the subject check out www.cyberfret.com/theory/index.php

Good for new people to theory

this is true, theory cannot hurt or restrain you, it can only help. the more you know the better and the more you know the more you know how to break theoretical rules and have it sound good.
Theory does not cramp your style at all, it will tell you what chords work with certain scales things like that. I find theory to be very important in music, because if you dont know it you can tell which things work well but you dont know why they do.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Cyberfret.com has some good lessons, as does UG.

But don't ask me, I've only been doing theory like 3 months.
R E G G A E