I've been playing for 3 years now and I can't say I'm a bad guitarist... nothing special but I can solo decently and do most of the stuff without problems (I usually play hard rock and heavy metal). But I've been realizing, as of late, I have some problems with my technique. I'm self taught, I never took a single lesson, and because of that I have some bad habits and my own ways of doing things. But, overall, I don't use my pinky at all for solos, and I can't pick up and down the right way (I basically always do downstrokes). Can someone suggest me some good exercises to do to learn to use my pinky and to do tremolo picking (considering I'm not a beginner)? Thanks
just play normally and try to add in your pinky in certain spots, and for tremolo picking alternate your pick on one string and play notes in the same key all the way up and down, try to work your speed up that way and then move on to more strings at a time.
Play some exercises like the 1,2,3,4 thing and scales, incorporating your pinky and using strictly alternate picking as well. Use a metronome if you can.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
1) Play 1234, 2345, 3456 chromatic scales up and down every string, strictly alternate picking, with a metronome.
2) Do scalar passages up and down, alternate picking.
I'd say you pretty much ARE a beginner if you can't use your pinky and alternate pick... I'm sorry but those are very basic things. Try going to the technique thread in the shred forum, it's helpful.
I have nothing to put in here.
use a metronome
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by Righteous
I'd say you pretty much ARE a beginner if you can't use your pinky and alternate pick... I'm sorry but those are very basic things. Try going to the technique thread in the shred forum, it's helpful.

ahh yes another 'i can shred i'm so much better then everyone else' mentality. i'd look more at classic rock guitarists such as clapton, hendrix, gilmour etc in terms of technique then any shredder but thats just me.
Quote by RDS001
ahh yes another 'i can shred i'm so much better then everyone else' mentality. i'd look more at classic rock guitarists such as clapton, hendrix, gilmour etc in terms of technique then any shredder but thats just me.

Uh, no offense dude, but Clapton and Hendrix are damn well going to tell you that using your pinky and alt picking is some important shit. We're talking the foundations of guitar playing. Look at any vid of Clapton. Do you see him strictly downpicking with 3 fingers? Hell no.

Good technique transcends musical taste. Whether you choose to use your chops from Flamenco to Blues to all-out shred, technique is technique.