Hi
I'm already have a Pacfica Strat and looking for a second guitar. Something good value for money.
I was thinking either buying Ibanez S470 or a Epiphone Les paul Custom. I have been playing guitar for almost two years. I mainly play RHCP, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Radiohead, Foofighters, Manics Street Preachers and Metallica but also blues and Jazz as well.
Also I have small hands and neck size will be important issue for me. So do you think both guitars will have problems about the neck especially the epiphone.
I just want advise from you on which guitars to get since I think both are very versatile and will have a better tone than my current guitar. I want my second guitar to be versatile but yet can produce harder edge stuffs which my strat can't produce.
Thanx
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Last edited by Katfury at Jan 24, 2007,
i would go with the ibanez personally, just an overall better guitar.

it looks easier to play, and i know that small people can find les pauls a bit bitchy
I really like my Epi LP Standard, but I know that's not what you're looking at. I do have really small hands and stubby fingers, and I don't find getting around the neck to be overly difficult. The only problem I'm having with my guitar is a continuing buzzing noise from it (despite having it set up 5 times in the past month )
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
well ...go to your local music store or where ever u thinking of buying a guitar and try em both out .. see which one u like better. especialy if u say neck size is impotat ..
good luck
Well first, do you really want a guitar with a locking tremolo?

Pros: cool sounds like divebombs, squeals, being able to have a wider range of notes, and play some artists songs that use the trem a lot. ZR is also one of the best trems on the market.

Cons: Takes a bit longer to restring, pain in the ass to switch tunings, confusing for a first time user.

I like locking trems because of the divebombs and noises but I intend to buy another guitar of alternate tunings. In your case, you can use your yamaha for other tunings.

The ibanez has an uber thin neck so it should be easy to play.

Try both out and see which is more suited for you.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by lp_dude_2
well if you want a trem, go for the S470, i love mine

but if you want a fixed bridge get a SZ series from ibanez, all epiphones suck balls

what!?! not all epiphones suck balls
I love that trem this is why I fancy a S470. What about the pick ups? I did try cheaper Ibanez before why the pick ups are suck so I just wonder if the pick ups at S470 are better than the cheaper Ibanez or not.
However I love Les Paul tone but have issue with the upper frets is so chunky.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
S470
It's versatile, which is good for you, it has a trem which if you don't want to use is fine cos its like the most reliable trem around (one of at least) it has a thin neck, good for small hands and fast playing, its made of mahogany like the les paul.

So if you Jammed a set of les paul pickups into the S470 you'll have a close enough sound to a les paul and all the extra's
I tried both guitars today. I don't have much of the problem except 17th frets onwords with the LP. Whiles the neck in S470 are just like a strat. Epi Lp are very heavy for me whiles S470 are very light. However LP sounds better than S470 and better looking. Do you think a pair of Seymour Duncan 59' pick ups will make ibanez sounds better?
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Yes.
There have been many complaints about ibanez pickups and when people change the pickups people love them.
Most people screw even using the stock and change the pickups straight away.
Ibanez S470 I love the trem

Epiphone LP I love the white one.

I love both one way or the other but I only can afford one.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
S470.
You say you have small hands, so a thinner neck would help.. But consider a different colour than the one you put in the picture.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Quote by biotech_godzila
what!?! not all epiphones suck balls

just about everyone ive played does, i think the only series i like was called something like the elist series, but they were way over priced for the guitar, but what do you expect, its a bi-product of gibson
Quote by lp_dude_2
just about everyone ive played does, i think the only series i like was called something like the elist series, but they were way over priced for the guitar, but what do you expect, its a bi-product of gibson

yah, if you are gonna go with epiphone, its either gonna be a nice semi-hollow, or the elitist series.. I have a G400 and its definatly my beater guitar...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
No contest, S470 has the specs of a guitar twice it's price. If they made a 24 fret model, it would be the perfect guitar. Also, don't go with the red, it looks very death metal-ish in person.
Dickless.