I learned my share of guitar and music theory on this site,partucularly from slash_pwns's lesson "music theory: the beginning". Since that covers how to build chords,scales,intervals and all of that crap which is what he called beginner to intermediate music theory. I want to further my knowledge of music theory by learning more advanced stuff. If you can point me to somewhere that explains it as clearly and and good as slash_pwns did it would be very appreciative.
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
that helped but it didnt show me anything i already didnt know musically. I want something that tells me more that just simple major/minor scales and just the modes for the major scale. I know theres probably not much more to learn other than that. I want to know alot so i can put it to use. i know alot from slash_pwns lesson but i need more. thank for the thread guitarguy, i can use it for reference
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Quote by Nemesis260
that helped but it didnt show me anything i already didnt know musically. I want something that tells me more that just simple major/minor scales and just the modes for the major scale. I know theres probably not much more to learn other than that. I want to know alot so i can put it to use. i know alot from slash_pwns lesson but i need more. thank for the thread guitarguy, i can use it for reference
That link contains plenty of intermediate theory. It goes far beyond basic scales and the 7 basic modes.
^ i wouldn't call it advanced theory...

The most important thing is that you can use this stuff. Like i just said - modally playing over chords may not be advanced, but it can take a lifetime to master. If you can't play all over the neck in a key, learn it. From there, all the keys. From there, learn to play the chords modally... Thats all that's been mentioned, but i'd bet a million pounds you can't DO it all yet.
It gets to a point where you have to let your fretboard knowledge catch up to your theory. Once you learn all your modes and their requisite chords it takes a while to be able to naturally play modally. I'm still workin' on it; that's for sure! =P
I'm down with what freepower said. Theory and application are two different things. But, if you do find yourself genuinely finished with all of that stuff, get into the world of harmony, and prepare to hit the books.

If you can, get

Harmony and Voice Leading by Edward Aldwell and Carl Schachter (HBJ publishing). Anything like it would do fine, it's just a college level textbook, but it is the one I am 'using'. It doesn't get to the harmony of the I-IV-V unti like, 80 pages in. Needless to say, it's in depth.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.