I'm thinking of taking this class next year because it seems pretty fun to learn about.
I take quite an interest in space, stars, planets, and everything else that relates to it. So I wanted to ask, who here takes this class, if offered at your school, and what is it like. Feel free to talk about astronomy and post pics of nebulas or something like that too.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I love to write poems and lyrics relating to Astronomy.

Crab Nebula. ;P
I'm taking Physics 170 right now. It's astronomy outside of our solar system. What's even cooler is that I have access to our university's observatory. I find the class to be pretty fun. You do learn some equations though, idk how you feel about math. I personally enjoy it, but then again I love math and physics.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html This website has tons of pictures.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Last edited by Quark Soup at Jan 24, 2007,
I like Astronomy. I wouldn't do it at school because I was shit at physics, and I believe they go pretty much hand in hand. I like to look at pictures though. Plus, I have a telescope.
I suppose it wouldn't be appreciated this early in the thread if I posted pictures of Uranus...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Nebulas are amazing.

The Cone Nebula
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
To Sargasm: Physics is a broad subject. You have quantum mechanics and such. Then you have cosmology which is the study of planets and stars and such. The equations are used to figure out how far away a star is to us or how old something is.
astronomy is physics on the larger scale, yet at the same time imagining the happenings of the smaller scale such as photons of light within a black hole, etc.

i've applied for astrophysics at university and quite interested in it, so it'll probaly be the first choice after medicine
Quote by Quark Soup
To Sargasm: Physics is a broad subject. You have quantum mechanics and such. Then you have cosmology which is the study of planets and stars and such. The equations are used to figure out how far away a star is to us or how old something is.

But then you miss out on all the quantum stuff that makes your brain explode!
Lol, you don't miss anything. Your brain will explode either way. It has happened to me on countless occasions. It gets quite messy too.

Anyway, I'm horrible at summarizing physics in general, just listen to what tyronelab said. But if you have any specific questions on anything you can ask me.
I wish something like this was offered at my school. I would've taken it for sure. Same with meteorology. However, we only have the three basic sciences at my highschool. (biology, chemistry, and physics)

EDIT: ^that's the thing I love about space. Just the midblowingness. Like how big everything is and how far away it is. And stuff like black holes. I don't even know a whole lot about the subject but I can tell that I would really enjoy it.
Quote by Quark Soup
Lol, you don't miss anything. Your brain will explode either way. It has happened to me on countless occasions. It gets quite messy too.

Anyway, I'm horrible at summarizing physics in general, just listen to what tyronelab said. But if you have any specific questions on anything you can ask me.

I actually know more about it than I let on in my first post. It was actually supposed to be sort of a joke, albeit a poor one.
Quote by the_experience
I wish something like this was offered at my school. I would've taken it for sure. Same with meteorology. However, we only have the three basic sciences at my highschool. (biology, chemistry, and physics)

EDIT: ^that's the thing I love about space. Just the midblowingness. Like how big everything is and how far away it is. And stuff like black holes. I don't even know a whole lot about the subject but I can tell that I would really enjoy it.

Take physics in high school then further yourself in the subject if you go to collage. I find all aspects of physics interesting.
Quote by Quark Soup
Take physics in high school then further yourself in the subject if you go to collage. I find all aspects of physics interesting.

Yeah...I have taken physics. However, I think my interest in history outweighs this interest so that is what I plan on taking in University. Although I believe I am required to take a science course first year. Maybe something like this will be available.....hmmm....I'm gonna look into that.
at my school its basic sciences also.

physics hasn't really came close to what astronomy involves so far (A level) and except for circular motion and gravity quite a bit isn't hugely relevant to astronomy

i'd say the nicest looking nebula would be the horsehead nebula (haven't got any pics atm but google will get a few if you want to look)

personally i'd rather have supernovae than nebulae but both are nice
Quote by Zuka
I love to write poems and lyrics relating to Astronomy.

liek ZomFGZZZ me 2!!!!!11!1!1
i'd take astronomy if they offered at my school, but they can't do it, they have to have room for 'history of sports' and 'italian feast'. wtf.
I remember reading about red giants back in the 5th grade. I was so amazed by them. Cool stuff.

© Soul Power
^Yeah...in Grade 4 we had to do space projects and I did mine on stars. That really kickstarted my interest.
Quote by tyronelab
personally i'd rather have supernovae than nebulae but both are nice

Here's a supernova remnant.
Attachments:
simeis_demartin.jpg
Quasars FTW.

And since there are no photographs of any apart from the one above, I'll include this artist's conception:

-Jacques