This is my band's latest song. It's a rough mix off of our upcoming debut due out in June. We're looking for any feedback possible. I know we need to up the guitars a bit. Please no "it's too poppy" or "i think it sux" responses. The question I'm trying to answer is, save for the recording quality (it still needs mixing and mastering), is this song radio ready? Thanks.

"At A Loss" can be found at any of our publicity pages:

Myspace
or Purevolume

Thanks again UG listeners...

-John
Check out my music:
www.purevolume.com/sarahsredemption
or
www.myspace.com/sarahsredemption
wow... that was awesome. Yes it is ready for the radio.
Quote by Heid
More realistically....I once tried to give myself head....I gave myself a sore neck and a loss of pride...
LISTEN TO ME PLAY!
Sounds like it's missing something. It kind of sounds like a christian song, like something that the church band would play. It would give it more of an edge if you stopped singing so soft.....like turn up the distortion on your voice a little bit.
very cheese ball.but to each his own i guess.it just sonds to me like your making music as mainstream as you can to get rich and famous.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
A bit feminine for my taste, but it's good for its genre. I like the fact that you guys have made a keyboardist part of your band.

To me, I really don't care what a band's motivation is for making music. I judge a song individually from the band. Why is fame and fortune such a bad thing? Can you imagine how dumb it would have sounded if Beethoven or Bach would have said, "I want to make music people will like, but I don't want too many people to like it, because then I'll be a sellout." It sounds just as dumb when "musicians" say it, nowadays.
^^But what if the only reason you like it is because its soooo generic and basic that you cant help but like the very basic melodies. From a songwriter point of view these songs are extremely lame and THATS when a band sells out. When they write music not for themselves, but for the millions of sheep out there who listen to what they are told. I disagree that it doesn't matter what a bands motivation is for making music. Cuz it matters.

As for this piece...well basically see all my opinions up there ^^, cuz it applies. 2/10. I suggest selling this song to billy talent though, im sure they have a new album due out soon.

*EDIT* ROFL it just sunk in the band name is sarahs redemption ahahahahahahah the motto is "id rather die than lose".
Last edited by architekt at Jan 25, 2007,
Its good, but some parts it sounds like your singer is trying to hard to sing in that style. he has a good voice, but I think he needs to work a little more on it. In less than a year I think he will sound amazing.

The only other thing that bugged me was the bass in the intro. Your bassist should have played it with his fingers instead of a pick. Its a quiter intro and using a pick just gives it that loud annoying pluck. With his fingers it would have flowed better.

Good stuff though, you guys will go far.
I disagree that it doesn't matter what a bands motivation is for making music. Cuz it matters.

I agree to a certain extent. These guys sound a bit "boy band"ish. But, there's a few things you can't take away from them.

1.) They play their own instuments.
2.) They play songs they created, instead of just covers.
3.) They weren't pieced together in a corporate board room.

Don't bands like Cannibal Corpse and Lamb of God make songs specifically targeting a segment of the population? (i.e. males 16 - 40) Why is that okay, but making music that girls typically enjoy is not okay? I don't really like music like this, but that doesn't make their music any less worthy than a band whose lead "singer" just screams and grunts all the time. Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it artistically inferior.
1)you going to make me late for work
2)The skill in which is required to play this type of music(not to mention originality) is highly lacking.
3) There is more talent in the vocal chords of a good metal singer than found in this entire band
There is more talent in the vocal chords of a good metal singer than found in this entire band.

That's too bad. Maybe they should start using that talent.

Edit...
I'm only flaming the "singers" out there that just scream and growl during a song. There are so many songs that would sound better just being instrumentals, instead of having some guy sound like he's trying to throw up the whole time as their "vocalist."
Last edited by ZigZag0420 at Jan 26, 2007,
Well, i see metal as more of an art. Along with other types of music, namely classical, jazz, symphony etc. Emo, however, is not one of the categories i would describe as art. A three letter word that rhymes with RAY, does though.

Let the floodgates of flaming open, i dont care. Its my opinion. This guy wanted crits, so i gave it to him. Hard, and from behind. Nothing anyone can say will change my mind, and i dont expect to change anyone else's.
Quote by architekt
Well, i see metal as more of an art. Along with other types of music, namely classical, jazz, symphony etc. Emo, however, is not one of the categories i would describe as art. A three letter word that rhymes with RAY, does though.

Let the floodgates of flaming open, i dont care. Its my opinion. This guy wanted crits, so i gave it to him. Hard, and from behind. Nothing anyone can say will change my mind, and i dont expect to change anyone else's.

All music is art... no matter how "gay" to one person it might be... that one person's(and yes, I know that there are thousands upon millions of people who don't like Emo, or Punk at all, for that matter) opinion is not going to change the fact that ALL Music, is Art. You didn't crit him, by the way. You said he sucked, and that metal is better. You submitted your opinion to him. Which is only half of critique. You first tell them what you don't like... what you personally think they should do to make it better... and AVOID telling them that your preferred genre of music is better than theirs. I love Metal... it's my favorite genre of music. I loathe all Punk, Emo, Rap, and anything softer than Coheed and Cambria. But it's not stopping me from not appreciating the art in creating those musics. ( Also... my girlfrieind loves music like that so I can't really say bad things about it )

Also I was wondering... How old might you be? I was looking at your posts and almost all but probably 3 are you "critiqing" someone using your own opinions and harsh words... And by the way, I appreciate your critique of my song for the duel between Novemberrain273 and myself... however it was completely unnecessary for you to add in the "which leaves me wondering why you even submitted this into a contest in the first place". That was really, not needed. And yes, I do know the playing was sloppy at some places, due to the fact that I just learned to sweep pick last week, and it plays a big part in that song... and that I've only been playing for 9 months, today.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya