Hey all, writting a horn part for my sax for this dude in my ska band. I play guitar (Sry, back to the topic). Now he is Bb or Eb (Tenor, alto). Now, I wrote a part and I need to know how much to transpose, how many frets down, etc....

P.S. We all know guitar is C...duh
well is it Eb or Bb? btw its halft steps or whole steps up or down you sound like a damn fool saying frets
Well if it's Bb then just he would play one fret or semi-tone lower I believe. If Eb, then 3 semi-tones or frets up. I hope this helped...
Quote by sexy-man
well is it Eb or Bb? btw its halft steps or whole steps up or down you sound like a damn fool saying frets

Im sorry DAWG, let me rephrase MAN!!! And it's Eb if it's alto sax, and Bb if it's tenor...you DAMN fool
which octave?

Lowest = Lowest String 8th Fret

Edit: Thats for C btw.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Jan 24, 2007,
when you notate a C for a transposing instrument and they play it, they'll actually play the note they transpose to.

with that in mind, write your melodies at pitch on guitar, and then if you want your tenor to play a C, notate a D (major second/2 frets up). If you want an alto to hit a concert C , notate an A. (minor third/three frets down...)
Quote by J6strings21fret
Ok scenario...make things easier. I want my horn player to play a C. To me on my guitar that would be a....?

Give Eb and Bb, or one...just specify doesent matter.

If the horn (trumpet presumably) is Bb, A Bb on the guitar would be the equivalent of C on the horn.

On an Eb sax, I really don't know.