Budget: 600$ USD

Im looking for a recording device like the Boss Micro BR, or the Line 6 Riff tracker or Toneport, or even the M-Audio blackbox (or whatever its called), that can record guitar riffs directly to your computer, where you can do basic editing (add simple drum tracks), with a USB interface.

I've never done any recording so Im a total noob, I was just hoping for some simple recording device suggestions that are under 600$ USD

Thanks in advance!!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Yeah I was looking at the Br-600, how's the recording quality with it? can it burn to cd's or can I just do that from my computer?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I'll look into that lightsnake cable, thats really cheap and if it gets the job done I might jsut get it.. Thanks a lot!!
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
If you're a total newbie, then how do you know you want a USB connection? Did you know the latency will likely thwart all of your efforts?

Whatever you do, don't buy a separate machine for recording. It's not upgradeable, not flexible in the least. When you see the track view of a software sequencer and experience the editing power and precision - ease of use - you'll wonder why people still buy them.

You could spend a couple hundred or less on a nice sequencer, a DI box with cabinet emulation, another 100 or so on a decent mixer and you'll be ready to record and it'll sound cool. Spend a little more and you can get some nice MIDI synths for drums, horns, strings, piano, whatever.

There's a bunch of jokers out there selling this and that gimmick - they're just hooking you like a fish. You don't need to buy all that crap. Especially when you don't know you even need it. USB, lightsnake - whatever. When you're ready to go straight digital, firewire is your solution.
Thanks alot for your input, the only reason why I was looking for USB is because I dont have firewire on my computer, but I do plan on getting a new computer soon so I should look into firewire.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Really? thatd be incredibly useful, but at the moment Im running 128 mb of ram and a 1.33 mHz processor, so I dont think it can handle the transfer speeds of a firewire.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
i have this little booger...

http://www.tascam.com/Products/PocketStudio5.html

ummm... its actualy really cool. ivew recoded myself and alot of other people from around town. ummmm i never used it to record anyhting other then vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and a djembe... but i enoy messin around with it. Easy to put stuff on the computer form the 4 trk. USB chord cost like 15$
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
Sweet thanks man!! I'll read up on it.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
For $600, I would get a sound card that can record mics too. You can be very limited with just a guitar recording rig.

Home Recording Studio: Getting Started
http://www.recordingreview.com/articles/articles/174/1/Home-Recording-Studio-Getting-Started/What-You-Need-To-Start-Your-Own-Home-Recording-Studio.html