I have an Ibanez RG and it takes me about 10 minutes to tune the thing. When I go through all the strings and tune them, I go back and see that the first ones I tuned are way off. Its a continuous cycle that happends until I finally play with the strings enough to get it. One thing I noticed is that when I tune the low E string, I can hear the high E string change as i'm tuning the low one. I realize that your never gonna get the strings to be perfectly in tune on the first try, but it takes me many times to get it. What's wrong?

My other question is that when i'm tuned to standard tuning, the bridge raises a little bit and the strings are at a decent height from the neck, but when i'm lower, say a whole step down, the bridge lowers a lot and causes the strings to be very close to the neck, creating lots of buzz.
To answer question one, it can take up to half an hour just to change the strings and tune it. It's the price you pay for a floyd rose.

And for the second question, you have to loose the screws in the back when detuning to level the bridge out, then correct the tuning, then loosen the screws again, and so on and so on.

If you want to change tunings a lot, you will be best off finding a fixed bridge
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Last edited by MattIgoe0108 at Jan 24, 2007,
I don't think you understand how an FR works and how to adjust it properly.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
well i have the same problem as you with tuning so i cant help you there... but the problem with the bridge raising up, all you need to do is adjust the springs, but BE CAREFUL you dont wanna over adjust, but basically, just tighten the screws going from the claw to the body
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
the string issue sounds like a problem with your machineheads (tuners)

ive had that happen before and i had a bad tuner or two

the bridge raising means your tension is too high in the back panel with the springs

honestly unless you like the locks on the tuners id get a fixed bridge
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Only piece I can really give you is to stop downtuning. Drop-D is fine, I do it all the time, but, remember, its just the Low E thats getting dropped so tension is maintained. Good luck.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Tuning Floyd Rose

1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic