Hey,
I have a cheap strat copy, but my rig sounds fine because i have a nice amp (fender hot rod deluxe tube amp) and ok pedals for od/dist (bad monkey and DS-1).
The guitar only has one pickup space, which is currently filled by a no name humbucker. It has a low output and is quite weak. I think switching it will make a big difference to help my lower quality guitar. The thing is, because the guitar only has one pickup, the pickup needs to be versatile. It needs to have good, bluesy cleans, but also pretty good distortion/overdrive for modern rock/ alternative rock, think things like RATM, RHCP, audioslave, arctic monkeys, killers, franz ferdinand, stuff like that.
So please recoomend a good pickup for my situation.

Thanks
1984 MIJ Contemporary Fender Stratocaster
Fender Deluxe 40watt Tube
Boss DS-1
DOD Vintage Phasor
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dimarzio EJ Custom, Virtual PAF or PAF Classic.

That's what I think, anyway.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
wat about a P-90? what are they for?
1984 MIJ Contemporary Fender Stratocaster
Fender Deluxe 40watt Tube
Boss DS-1
DOD Vintage Phasor
Digitech Bad Monkey
Duncan SH-4 JB
those are your all around pickups used in 90% of guitars.

Quote by emberix
wat about a P-90? what are they for?

Very specialized to classic rock or bad sounding punk.
p-90s have a nice crunch to them, and great clean tone. Not especially suited for high gain though, would get noisy.

Lace Sensor remains my reccomendation

the red/red has a higher resistance than an x2n...
Quote by Nick_
p-90s have a nice crunch to them, and great clean tone. Not especially suited for high gain though, would get noisy.

Lace Sensor remains my reccomendation

the red/red has a higher resistance than an x2n...

Youre forgetting he wants a blues sound as well.
I'd get the Duncan SH-4 JB, I have one, and I can play blues or metal and sound normal. It's no EMG and no SH-2n, but it does have a nice medium, giving you lots of room to play around.
Or you can just get a different pickguard with different pickup configurations so you can have more than one pickup. But then you have to re-do a whole load of wiring which i know nadda about so don't ask me how. lol
That's why I suggested the Red/Silver. The silver on it's own is great for vintage single coil sounds, and people seem to forget that you can simply roll down the volume and tone to tame a hot humbucker to manageable blues levels
I too have a HRD and use a DS-1 and just put a Seymour Duncan TB-4 (if you have the same spacing as a Fender/Floyd Rose bridge you want the TB-4 not the SH-4) in my Strat. Its a well balanced p-up and like a previous post said its used by everyone because its pretty versitle. The main complaint is that its too bright so I left in the 250k pots, but you may already have 500k pots with the HB in there now...
By the way - is the guitar only routed for 1 pickup or just the pickguard?
Unless you like the ONE pickup setup on your guitar, I suggest changing the pickguard to one that holds 3 pickups(1 HB and 2 SCs).

If your on a tight budget guitarfetish.com has some prewired pickguards pretty cheap.