Page 1 of 2
im a self taught noob, my mum has promised to let me go to lessons, but hasn't even got around to it. i come on UG, and these people who know everything about musict theory go on about how important it is, and they have big long discussions about theory and notes and what not. well im fed up. they probably look down on me and others like me. just because i can't read music doesn't make me any less of a guitarist! im pretty sure jimi hendrix couldn't read music, and i think he mostly taught himself everything he needed to know. and he was THE guitar god. ive heard all these people say, 'hendrix wasn't the best guitarist, he was sloppy and had a poor technique.' well these people can think that if they want, but for the 99% of the world who aren't guitar-obsessed musical-theory experts, the rest of the world thinks jimi was a great. ask a person in the street who they think the best guitarist was, and they will 9 times out of ten mention jimi. maybe he wasn't the most skilled, but his personallity and creativity made him famous. Hell, maybe if no one bothered to learn to read music, todays crappy excuse for music might actually be original, innovative and fun. screw theory, i'm just gonna play my guitar by ear, and look at a tab if i have trouble. instead of reading music like a script, im just going to play the way the music makes me feel, moving in whatever way the fretboard takes my fingers
Mmkay then.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
I know theory and I like Jimi and think he's good. Just stop complaining, complaining gets you nowhere. The reason people learn theory is because it helps. Anyone can just play random chords and notes, doesn't mean it's good, theory helps us create good sounding music. I don't look upon people who don't know theory but people like Hendrix with no theory but talent like that, they're one in a million. Good luck.

P.S. a lot of today's crappy music is bands who I am pretty sure.... know no theory.
Last edited by moup at Jan 24, 2007,
You don't have to read music. You do need to have some kind of theory knowledge in order to make good music. If ANYTHING, it will help you make music better and you'll KNOW what to do and when/how to do it. Not just noodle until you find something that sounds good.

Learn music theory. You don't need a teacher to learn theory, if anything I think teachers are more for forming a good foundation of practice and basics.

Don't be a chump and think you're too good to learn theory, most people that know theory don't look down on others, they want to help them and teach them because odds are they where in your shoes and don't want you to walk down that path and then three, four, ten years later get that you DO need to learn these things. Mainly they want you to learn now, so you don't have wasted years.

Good luck

*EDIT*

And a big thanks to all the dick weeds that just tell some kid who is struggling with an issue to shut up and go away...real nice assholes.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
but isn't tab and learning by ear like reading script? i admit i can't read music, but theory has helped in general. i would be nowhere as good as i am if i had not learned thery at all. atleast give it a chance boy. do not bad mouth what you know nothing about.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
haha good luck with THAT one. though i must admit, you're right about some of the theory-knowledgable being a bit too big for their britches, if you know what i'm saying.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
You don't need to be able to read music. In fact, I consider being able to read music a trivial thing at best, it's cool to say you can, but you don't need it.
Sounds like you really do know how important music theory is, but you're too lazy to learn it. So you've come to an internet forum to try and convince yourself that you don't need it.
Guess what?

You need it. At least if you want to expand your musical horizons and make it easier on yourself.
anyone know a good place on this website that tells what theory is? I might already know it and just didnt know I did. ORRRR I am truly a Cort noob
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
the boy hasn't even replied to contest his thesis lol
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by _-Skeletor-_
wtf..what a waste of time u spent writing all that

What a waste of time YOU spent writing all that.

Idiot. Go listen to your poser metal.

I'm being rude because most of you are being twats, you might as well just put "Post count +1 LoLZ!" you're not making any suggestions or trying to help him out. He's just going through some aggrivation we've all had when learning something new. No one liked theory when they first got into it, it makes your head hurt. Just help him out and don't be retarded and just say stupid dribble because odds are you're not any better a player than he is.
you sir are a complete idiot

i agree. shut up.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's nice.

Now learn how to play your fucking guitar.

Oh yeah, *reported* because there's no way this thread ends well.

hey, you know what, like i said, kiss my ass
Well, you aren't Jimi Hendrix, so your point doesn't help you. Now shush.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by GardenGnome26
Ok, let me ask you this...........why not?

why not learn theory? You don't seem to have a reason, other than sheer laziness. Why not learn more of what could help you become a better musician?

Can you either tell me where to learn theory, or what theory is?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Dude...you're on one of the best sites to learn theory. Go to the lessons page and check out slash_pwns lesson about starting theory. Very good IMO.

random_person, the thing about theory is you need to take it sloooooooooooow. Don't jump in and learn all of this and all of that yadayada. Start with something like the major scale, learn the major scales and then move on to a different scale, then pick up some chord stuff and before you know it you'll be a buff!
Quote by CodySG
Dude...you're on one of the best sites to learn theory. Go to the lessons page and check out slash_pwns lesson about starting theory. Very good IMO.

OK thanks.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

reason i don't like it: i hate rules, i hate sticking to rules. i like freedom and hate to conform to the standards of anything. and yes i know tabs kind of suck and are a script, but i don't use them like a ultimate guide, just to help me if im stuck and can't get the sound i want out of my head. i am not lazy, i practice heaps. my dad was a legend around these parts. he only learnt to play when he was like 30, and he just played by ear. he knew all the chords, all the solos and didn't know theory. he's kicked the bucket, so i intend to carry on what he started. kiss my ass. you all think you know better than me. i bet 99% of you people on ug are 14 year old punks pretending to be able to playing stairway to heaven. i bet you'll be like 'that solos easy i leant it in 3 days', well guess what, i learnt it in 1 and a half, so suck it. oh, btw, music isn't meant to be pefectly rigid and and all mathmatically aranged, its about expression and the music should flow out of the soul
Quote by random-person12
reason i don't like it: i hate rules, i hate sticking to rules. i like freedom and hate to conform to the standards of anything. and yes i know tabs kind of suck and are a script, but i don't use them like a ultimate guide, just to help me if im stuck and can't get the sound i want out of my head. i am not lazy, i practice heaps. my dad was a legend around these parts. he only learnt to play when he was like 30, and he just played by ear. he knew all the chords, all the solos and didn't know theory. he's kicked the bucket, so i intend to carry on what he started. kiss my ass. you all think you know better than me. i bet 99% of you people on ug are 14 year old punks pretending to be able to playing stairway to heaven. i bet you'll be like 'that solos easy i leant it in 3 days', well guess what, i learnt it in 1 and a half, so suck it. oh, btw, music isn't meant to be pefectly rigid and and all mathmatically aranged, its about expression and the music should flow out of the soul

i think your lazy, just do it, it will help..

people like Vai n Satch have tremendous expressive abilities with their instrument because they learnt it the hard way. I dare annyone to say that their music doesnt potray things like you like said above, flow of soul? freedom? you can bet they have it.

btw, im 21.. and not some punk who thinks hes better than you. Just sharing my thoughts..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
I'm not one to tell another guitarist how to play their instrument, so go ahead and do what you want with it. But mark my words, somewhere along the line, something will catch your eye, you'll stop, and you'll wonder why. That's what you'll ask yourself... "Why?"

It's human nature to be curious, so there's no doubt in my mind you'll learn some theory at some point in your life. Until then, like I said, do what you want, but there's no real need to be straight up bashing theory, making it sound like a waste of time.

to Cody for a couple nice responses.

EDIT - Ugh, now you're just pissing me off.

reason i don't like it: i hate rules, i hate sticking to rules. i like freedom and hate to conform to the standards of anything. and yes i know tabs kind of suck and are a script, but i don't use them like a ultimate guide, just to help me if im stuck and can't get the sound i want out of my head. i am not lazy, i practice heaps.
Yeah, I know what you're saying, you think theory confines you, imprisons your artistic abilities, if you will. You're wrong... Knowing theory doesn't mean you're forced to stick within some invisible boundaries. Knowing "theory" just gives you a better knowledge about the thing you're playing.

my dad was a legend around these parts. he only learnt to play when he was like 30, and he just played by ear. he knew all the chords, all the solos and didn't know theory. he's kicked the bucket, so i intend to carry on what he started. kiss my ass.
Good for your dad? Good for you? Nobody's forcing you to learn the stuff, do whatever the hell you want, just don't be such an ignorant prick about the whole thing.

you all think you know better than me. i bet 99% of you people on ug are 14 year old punks pretending to be able to playing stairway to heaven. i bet you'll be like 'that solos easy i leant it in 3 days', well guess what, i learnt it in 1 and a half, so suck it.
Good for you. I think this bit was just a lame attempt to make some people here jealous, and I must say, it was a failure.

oh, btw, music isn't meant to be pefectly rigid and and all mathmatically aranged, its about expression and the music should flow out of the soul
Right, so guys who know theory put no emotion into their music. Get a clue.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Last edited by Pan-Tallica at Jan 24, 2007,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492910

Chances are, you're NOT the next Hendrix. All you're doing is choosing not to use a useful tool that's available to you. You're a just a beginner, since you haven't tried theory you can't really reject it. That's called "laziness."

Oh yeah and if nobody knew anything about "notes and what not" how would you tune your guitar?
Dude, I tried to take the lesson and I have no flippin idea what he is talking about... I must be an artard.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by NotAJock2Day
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492910

Chances are, you're NOT the next Hendrix. All you're doing is choosing not to use a useful tool that's available to you. You're a just a beginner, since you haven't tried theory you can't really reject it. That's called "laziness."

Oh yeah and if nobody knew anything about "notes and what not" how would you tune your guitar?

we would invent new tunings. and to everone here, yes i am going to learn a bit of theory of course, but what i mean is that people always tell me that it is so essential and i suck if i don't know it. i will lean what i need to learn. it not a prioriety right now, the most important thing for me is becoming more skillful
Quote by random-person12

The whole idea of non-conformity is idiotic. Get over the idea that you're unique and you have anything amazingly individualistic to contribute to music, art, or humanity in general and you'll be better off.

There's no reason not to learn theory. It will not inhibit your creativity. It will not inhibit your self-expression. It will, however, increase your understanding of your instrument, your understanding of how music works (because at its root, music IS mathematics, studying and understanding how different sound waves operating at different frequencies interact with one another) and increase your musical vocabulary. Saying you can do without learning the most basic theory is like saying you can write a novel without learning the basics of grammar; sure, you'll be able to put words on paper, but they'll be unintelligible ideas that will make your readers angry and want to kill you. Likewise in music. If you know nothing of the basics of theory, your music will sound like crap. Guess what? Atonality doesn't sound good. Sorry, it just doesn't. It's interesting to add color, but being off-key constantly, or not being able to find the key or not even knowing what a key is just makes you look retarded. Good practice should be a combination of improving your technique and increasing your knowledge.

Moral of the story: Get over yourself and learn.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by random-person12
im a self taught noob, my mum has promised to let me go to lessons, but hasn't even got around to it. i come on UG, and these people who know everything about musict theory go on about how important it is, and they have big long discussions about theory and notes and what not. well im fed up. they probably look down on me and others like me. just because i can't read music doesn't make me any less of a guitarist! im pretty sure jimi hendrix couldn't read music, and i think he mostly taught himself everything he needed to know. and he was THE guitar god. ive heard all these people say, 'hendrix wasn't the best guitarist, he was sloppy and had a poor technique.' well these people can think that if they want, but for the 99% of the world who aren't guitar-obsessed musical-theory experts, the rest of the world thinks jimi was a great. ask a person in the street who they think the best guitarist was, and they will 9 times out of ten mention jimi. maybe he wasn't the most skilled, but his personallity and creativity made him famous. Hell, maybe if no one bothered to learn to read music, todays crappy excuse for music might actually be original, innovative and fun. screw theory, i'm just gonna play my guitar by ear, and look at a tab if i have trouble. instead of reading music like a script, im just going to play the way the music makes me feel, moving in whatever way the fretboard takes my fingers

ಥ_ಥ
Quote by random-person12
we would invent new tunings. and to everone here, yes i am going to learn a bit of theory of course, but what i mean is that people always tell me that it is so essential and i suck if i don't know it. i will lean what i need to learn. it not a prioriety right now, the most important thing for me is becoming more skillful

Yeah but not taking knowledge and advice from past generations of musicians and other people makes the music you create a product of spite, not creativity. If you're not going to learn theory at least be humble about it. You telling theory people to suck is no better than them telling you that you suck.
You won't suck, it's just the fact that without proper practice by rules (IE the metronome) and some kind of understanding of what you're playing and how to play things so that they sound good (IE theory) it will be hard for you to play music.

It's like drawing a picture, most people have to practice and take lessons to learn about shading, texture and the such so that they can express themselves FULLY without anything holding them back.

That's what theory and proper practice does, you know so much so almost nothing can hold you back. You can hear something in your head and be able to play it, you'll know what notes sound like and which ones work with each other, ect ect ect. It's all about expression. If you don't have any kind of musical understanding you'll probably just end up writing the same song over and over again with slight changes.

Like I said, you don't have to jump in, in fact I advise against it. Take is slow and start with a little, chew and get it through your system, let it soak in and then pick up another spoonful of theory and do it again. It's not about being a "buff" it's about being able to express yourself without any restrictions.
Quote by Dirk Gently
The whole idea of non-conformity is idiotic. Get over the idea that you're unique and you have anything amazingly individualistic to contribute to music, art, or humanity in general and you'll be better off.

There's no reason not to learn theory. It will not inhibit your creativity. It will not inhibit your self-expression. It will, however, increase your understanding of your instrument, your understanding of how music works (because at its root, music IS mathematics, studying and understanding how different sound waves operating at different frequencies interact with one another) and increase your musical vocabulary. Saying you can do without learning the most basic theory is like saying you can write a novel without learning the basics of grammar; sure, you'll be able to put words on paper, but they'll be unintelligible ideas that will make your readers angry and want to kill you. Likewise in music. If you know nothing of the basics of theory, your music will sound like crap. Guess what? Atonality doesn't sound good. Sorry, it just doesn't. It's interesting to add color, but being off-key constantly, or not being able to find the key or not even knowing what a key is just makes you look retarded. Good practice should be a combination of improving your technique and increasing your knowledge.

Moral of the story: Get over yourself and learn.

you are very correct about music being mathematical, my bad. i can't explain what i mean properly. infact i've made a big ass of myself. i thought all the noobs would come in here and form a rebelious army against the pros.
Quote by CodySG
You won't suck, it's just the fact that without proper practice by rules (IE the metronome) and some kind of understanding of what you're playing and how to play things so that they sound good (IE theory) it will be hard for you to play music.

It's like drawing a picture, most people have to practice and take lessons to learn about shading, texture and the such so that they can express themselves FULLY without anything holding them back.

That's what theory and proper practice does, you know so much so almost nothing can hold you back. You can hear something in your head and be able to play it, you'll know what notes sound like and which ones work with each other, ect ect ect. It's all about expression. If you don't have any kind of musical understanding you'll probably just end up writing the same song over and over again with slight changes.

Like I said, you don't have to jump in, in fact I advise against it. Take is slow and start with a little, chew and get it through your system, let it soak in and then pick up another spoonful of theory and do it again. It's not about being a "buff" it's about being able to express yourself without any restrictions.

I completely agree. I wonder why people think less knowledge = more "self-expression."
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by random-person12

I bought my own guitar and paid for my own lessons when I was 9 years old. Get a job you ignorant hippie.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by random-person12
you are very correct about music being mathematical, my bad. i can't explain what i mean properly. infact i've made a big ass of myself. i thought all the noobs would come in here and form a rebelious army against the pros.

Oh no hahaha!!

I think threadstarter's anger comes from the fact that he is out of ideas for his guitar playing. I REALLY suggest you dabble into some theory. Just a little bit at first. Besides, everything's in a scale

For all you people asking about theory lessons:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

ಥ_ಥ
Quote by random-person12
reason i don't like it: i hate rules, i hate sticking to rules. i like freedom and hate to conform to the standards of anything...

Music is full of rules and structure and constraints. The guitar is a set of rules and constraints, you have a certain number of possible notes and possible tonal ranges. Theory is just the study of possible combinations of that limited set of tones and how they sound. It's putting names to how certain tones sound together and in sequence. Understanding it makes it easier to get ideas out of your head and communicate those ideas to other musicians.

Scales and cords have a certain feel and if you know some theory it'll be easier to express those things you're feeling.

It's a bit like trying to fix your car without understanding how an internal combustion engine works. You could eventually tinker around enough to get it working, but it's a lot easier if you understand how it works.

Good luck
Quote by CORT noob
I bought my own guitar and paid for my own lessons when I was 9 years old. Get a job you ignorant hippie.

1. im not a hippie
2. im not ignorant i understand theory is important
3. i can't get a job im a cripple
Page 1 of 2