Alright so I've booked a couple of shows down at our local skatepark and the owner has realized that having gigs there is making him more money than the skate park so he's asked me and a few select other people to help turn it into a full time venue. Now it's an indoor skatepark with like a tin roof and it's amazingly echo-y and isn't that great of a place for shows. What I was wondering was, if we used that spray foam they make to spray the entire ceiling with, will it help dampen the sound and insulate it anymore? That's what the owner wants to do and I can't decide if it's going to be a good idea or not. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Garrett
Left handed and proud damn!t...!
This should be in the Bandleading forum.

But spraying just the roof with concrete would help a bit, I guess. But you've got the odd shaped concrete floor, and probably some kind of metal walls. Hard surfaces reflect soundwaves, making an echo. I assume the halfpipes and those kinds of things would bounce the soundwaves in weird directions too.

If you want to keep the echo down, don't use a few large speakers at the front of the stage, you'll want to have many smaller speakers spread out more.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I don't know if spraying the roof would help but i also know you can get an echo/reverb due to the shape of the room too.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
If he tosses in bass traps aoustic tiles and lotsa foam it might reduce the echo and make the room sound more dead.
Lots of things "will help." Spray the ceiling with the foam stuff, yes, that might be hard to do but it will help. Then get some of those "carpet pads" from a capret store and cover some of the walls as best as you can. Yo could make them so they can come off of the wall too, or jus tleave them up all the time. You could even try doing two layers of the carpet pads. That will help alot. A good soundsystem will help even more, if you spend a good half million on a state of the art digital sound system, it'll definetly have the control tools and software you need to "cancel out" the reverb, but you really would have to spend about half a million on it all. It'd be the loudest and best sounding system in town though, I could almost garuntee it.
Quote by JahJahwarrior
Lots of things "will help." Spray the ceiling with the foam stuff, yes, that might be hard to do but it will help. Then get some of those "carpet pads" from a capret store and cover some of the walls as best as you can. Yo could make them so they can come off of the wall too, or jus tleave them up all the time. You could even try doing two layers of the carpet pads. That will help alot. A good soundsystem will help even more, if you spend a good half million on a state of the art digital sound system, it'll definetly have the control tools and software you need to "cancel out" the reverb, but you really would have to spend about half a million on it all. It'd be the loudest and best sounding system in town though, I could almost garuntee it.

true but the main problem with your plan is that nobody on this side of a record deal has half a million to toss at a PA system
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The carpet pads and foam spray stuff will help a good bit, even without half a mil for a sound system. If you even had a few hundred you could get a good signal processor which could help you "EQ" a room.
Quote by Darol
i use eggcartons in my room lol

how well does that work? and how much did you spend on eggs before you had enough?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Do the whole ceiling in this http://www.quietcoat.com/ watch the demo videos of what happened to the drum cymbal after they coated it. It would be pricey but would definitly deaden any tin effect on the sound.
Carvin MTS 3200 Head
Avatar 4x12 (2 V30's and 2 G12-T75)
use the spray and staple some sheets to the walls/ceilings like this:

W S S
A P H
L A E
L C E
E T
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by forsaknazrael
Too bad that does NOTHING for sound blockage or absorbtion. It's okay, it's a common urban myth. It'll at least diffuse the sound waves, though.

He wants to to cut out echoes, which egg cartons do very well.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Oh, I wasn't talking to the threadstarter.
I was just talking to that guy. A lot of people use egg cartons in an attempt to soundproof places. When Darol said he used them in his room, I immediately assumed he used them with that thought in mind - just because...well, it's his own room.That's what a lot of people aim to do so they can practice without fear of pissing anyone off.

And yeah, that's what I said. Cut out echoes = diffuse sound waves.
ouch, thats sounds bad, and being a previous skater most indoor parks have a lot of nasty reverb and echoes. I would simply move the concert to another room like the lobby or if theres a shop inside the park like myne had, move it in there. It would cost a lot of money to help the sound waves in a big room like a skate park.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....