Hey everyone, once again, here is anotehr amp question by UG's very own, Jinskee.

Alright, I realized that it's going to take forever to find a marshall jcm 800 combo that I can find here and play for myself, and realize that I like it.

I've been realizing that I'm opening to the world of Blues alot more now...so, I've been starting to play alot of clapton and alot of SRV type of stuff. What amps did they play on?

So I'm here asking, what Fenders do you reccomend? I know that they give great clean sounds, but I don't know too much about over drive (I play alot of classic and hard rock).

Willl it work well with pedals if I wanted to get a higher gain sound? I mean, I wouldn't mind an amp that could pull off fender cleans while doing a good marshall crunch distortion? I don't know.

Sorry for the fuss, yall.

Price range - 1000 USD used.

(hopefully one of the last threads you'll see from me asking for "waht amp" for a while. )
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Mascot
Mehhhh.... Vox AC30.

Fo real.

Well, I was looking into something more full tube kinda amp.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Vox AC30 is all-tube... I hear they have amazing cleans and incredible crunch, but no metal; what did you mean by high-gain?
what about the dsl?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by De Amazing Blob
Vox AC30 is all-tube... I hear they have amazing cleans and incredible crunch, but no metal; what did you mean by high-gain?

I don't know, I'm guessing I want my amp to be highly versatile.

But I was always told I could do better than the vox ac30 from the price that I'm paying for?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
lol vox ac30 is a really nice all-tube amp.
if u're lookin for a fender, try lookin at hot rods.
i played both at guitar center, both blew me away.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Omg....

Sorry guys, I thoght you guys were talking about the ad30vt amp, not the ac!

I'll definatley look into that one guys,

Edit: Aye, i've been doing some research on the ac30 and it seems it's what I'm wanting in an amp.

Also, to the poster who said it has awesome cleans and awesome crunch, cheers for the statement, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Jan 25, 2007,
AC30's rock.

But for blues a hotrod has better cleans, at least for texas blues. The Vox's cleans are more chimey. The Vox has MUCH better overdrive though.

As for SRV, doesn't matter what amp you have, he played loads of different amps and always had his tone. What you need is a good strat sound, and an amp with a good Fender clean. Yesterday I played a MIM 60's reissue strat and a hotrod Deluxe, instant texas blues tones, was great. The overdrive wasn't anything special though.

If you aren't looking to clone SRV's sound, or get the typical electric blues sound, look into the AC30. They are great for blues, but they don't have "that Fender sound."
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^Cheers, honestly, I think this seems like a great amp to check out, it'll save me alot of money in the long run while still getting a good amp, verdad?

I'm still a tad confused on why the amp got such bad ratings on harmony though, although it's just opinions slapped everywhere, i'd expect it to get the recognition better.

Also, I don't have a strat (I'm planning on getting one for my next gutiar purchase). I have myself a Esp/ldt ec-1000 hooked up with mule bare knuckle pickups. I'm not looking to clone SRV's tone, but I'm just looking for something that can give me a great overdrive/clean tone.

I also hear Brian May played on one!? Never knew that.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah, as stated, the Vox has pretty chimey and bright cleans... I still prefer it over, say, a Hot Rod Deluxe, though.
Quote by Jinskee
^Cheers, honestly, I think this seems like a great amp to check out, it'll save me alot of money in the long run while still getting a good amp, verdad?

I'm still a tad confused on why the amp got such bad ratings on harmony though, although it's just opinions slapped everywhere, i'd expect it to get the recognition better.

Also, I don't have a strat (I'm planning on getting one for my next gutiar purchase). I have myself a Esp/ldt ec-1000 hooked up with mule bare knuckle pickups. I'm not looking to clone SRV's tone, but I'm just looking for something that can give me a great overdrive/clean tone.

I also hear Brian May played on one!? Never knew that.

Brian may played what? ESP? no lol
but he played a vox amp and he loved it
he has his own signature amp from vox i believe
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
Brian may played what? ESP? no lol
but he played a vox amp and he loved it
he has his own signature amp from vox i believe

That's what I was intentionally saying, I know he didn't play ESP , but anyway, thanks for the reccomndations guys, any more opinions are sure welcome in this thread.

Edit:

Also, one more thing, will it get me those GnR, The Who, Zeppelin, Clapton tones also? I play alot in that genre.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I don't know about the AC30 getting you those nice Marshall lead tones in GnR. . .
Quote by Mascot
I don't know about the AC30 getting you those nice Marshall lead tones in GnR. . .

Ahh, well, I guess you lose something to gain something, right?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I sold a used Fender Blues Jr. in nice condition for like $250 a few weeks ago. I put about 5 or 6 hours on that amp. LOVE IT. Nice cleans, good reverb, and of course it sounded pretty freaking good when cranked. The best pedal for it was the VisualSound Jekyll and Hyde. Not only is that one of the best overdrive/distortion pedals on the market, it paired perfectly with the Blues Jr.

Idk if this amp fits your criteria since I didnt really read what you wanted lol. All I read was blues and Fender and heavy pedal.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I sold a used Fender Blues Jr. in nice condition for like $250 a few weeks ago. I put about 5 or 6 hours on that amp. LOVE IT. Nice cleans, good reverb, and of course it sounded pretty freaking good when cranked. The best pedal for it was the VisualSound Jekyll and Hyde. Not only is that one of the best overdrive/distortion pedals on the market, it paired perfectly with the Blues Jr.

Idk if this amp fits your criteria since I didnt really read what you wanted lol. All I read was blues and Fender and heavy pedal.

Why did you sell it? Only 5, 6 hours!? D:, well fyi, I'm also looking into vox now .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I sold it because thats my job. I sell guitar gear and accessories.

And with a store full of new things to try, 5/6 hours is a lot of time to put on an amp!
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I sold it because thats my job. I sell guitar gear and accessories.

And with a store full of new things to try, 5/6 hours is a lot of time to put on an amp!

Oh the envy.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Yes. I know. lol Thats why I usually dont just go around here yelling (er typing in caps?) "I WORK AT A GUITAR SHOP!".
^

/bump.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Just another question guys.

I've seen the AC30CC1, With 1x12 in. Celestion NeoDog.

And the AC30CC2, With 2x12 in. Vox GSH12-30.

Are there any major differences between them? The CC1 is only 700 while the CC2 is still at 1000USD.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
what are used US dollars worth?

sorry. I second vox, that'll get you a good bluesy sound and a good rocky sound. not as good fendery blues, though.

also, some traynors might be worth a look, almost as good cleans as a fender, but better OD. ycv40 (more fendery) or 50 (more marshally).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To Dave:

You know, I'm not too sure. The stores near by in my area carry little used equipment. I saw a jcm 900 combo and I almost cried of joy when I saw it...but then one of the employee said someone reserved it and bought it off.

I've been intersted in traynors, are they good moneys worth? I'm not sure If I'll be able to find them in Hawaii though.

edit: the traynors look pretty good. I finally concluded that I should'nt go one sided; stay only on cleans/overdrive.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Jan 28, 2007,
^ heh, sorry, that was a joke about the used dollars.

by not go one sided, does that mean you want good cleans and good od?

if so, traynor are most definitely worth a look. also, the vox. fender is a bit too biased down the clean side, IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ahh, I'm not too good with puns.

And yes, that's what I mean. I want creamy cleans with crunchy OD's,

I'll look into the traynors, cheers once again, Dave!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^ check the vox too. it's not really two channel, but you can set it up to have a nice clean, or a nice od (or if you're lucky, your od tone will clean up nicely with the guitar's volume control).

EDIT: crap, forgot, check the kustom coupe too. It may be outside budget, but it's a nice amp too. It's worth a try most definitely. similar to the traynors, maybe gets a bit more modern on the OD channel.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow Dave, I'm looking on the prices for the traynors...they're VERY cheap!!!

I'd expect something, the way you described it , like that to be expensive (atlesat 1000+)
Nice find!

/waits for high five

edit: One more thing, I've been reading the reviews on musiciansfriend.com and people have been enjoying the amp...more so on the 50.On the other hand, I don't think too many people are too fond with the OD with the 40.

Some people said change the tubes and the speakers. Your views on it, Dave?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Jan 28, 2007,
^ i thought the od on the 40 was pretty decent, I didn't get to crank it though. I'm guessing a speaker change wouldn't hurt, tube change probably wouldn't hurt either- i guess tubes are a bit like pickups, even if the stock ones are good, they're probably aimed at pleasing most of the people most of the time, rather than specifically you.

i'd try it stock for a while first, though. saves cash, and what you don't know can't hurt you, lol.

EDIT: /high five!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

I'll totally consider the amp. I'm getting about 470 USD's today...add that to my current amount which is about 200 = 670 USD and when you add the amount that my friends going to put in (considering he's buying my old amp), it racks up to 800-900 USD approximatley. Oh happy day.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I WORK AT A GUITAR SHOP!
[/envy]

Working at a guitar shop would totally own, but the closest one to me is 30 miles , and I can't drive... so that wouldn't work out. I can't imagine it would pay real well, but still...
Quote by De Amazing Blob
[/envy]

Working at a guitar shop would totally own, but the closest one to me is 30 miles , and I can't drive... so that wouldn't work out. I can't imagine it would pay real well, but still...

I sent in a resume 2 months ago...never got a word back from them, but they're cool! I can actually walk to my guitar shop.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I would look into the new mesa boogie express. The cleans are like the lone star special (which i think has some of the best clean tones ive ever heard), and it should do classic rock pretty well. Its all bout goin around and playing a million different amps. Suggestions can only take you so far...

Traynor's are amazing amps but you MUST get them retubed. If you get one go to eurotubes.com and retube them with JJ's so they may live up to their full potential. Just email bob with the sound you want and he can get you tubes for blues tones, high gain, etc... the difference is like night and day
Last edited by guitarusMaximus at Jan 30, 2007,
I don't know why everyone talks about him like he is the reincarnation of Jesus. I sent the guy an email like two and a half months ago. Not even a word back. I then proceeded to walk ten yards to my left and asked my neighbor for some eurotubes. Good tubes, bad customer service.