How do i do them, ive seen the video where he flicks off a g string string and taps the harmonics in mid air but i just cant make the guitar squeal should i use pinch harmonics or natural or what?
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
oh yeah and scoop the mids big time, pump gain into your amp to make the harmonics come out easier, but im sure u knew that already
pinch, all you do is fret the note you want hit the sting with your pick and let your thumb hit it and it will squeal. use some vibreto too, now this is going to take practis and finding the right place on the string to hit it. g string is usually easier to do it on till you get the feel for it. give it time and work it out till you can get it, hope that helpped
natural harmonics for the ones you're thinking about.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

to do the super awesome squeals you need to be able to do pinch harmonics like second nature. basically you push your tremelo bar all the way down towards the body of your guitar. when your strings are loose, you do a pinch harmonic, then pull the bar back up as high as you can. that's actually taken directly from when he did the riffer madness column for guitar world. it sounds pretty simple but it takes a lot of practice.
Signatures are overrated.
u use the whammy bar and natural harmonics like 3.1 on the third string and just use a floyd rose to make it squeal
This comes straight out of Dimes "Riffer Madness" book:

"Whats shakin' tough guy? As promised, I'm gonna light you up on how to do harmonic squeals. To get Harmonic Screams(same shit, different term) happening, you need a whammy bar. So, if your axe doesn't have one you're gonna have to sit this section out--sorry, dude! Also, just so you know, we're gonna be doing seom pretty brutal dives that will definitely knock a non-locking tremolo system way out of tune. So a locking one, like a Floyd Rose-type, is kind of essential.

In case you're not exactly sure what I mean by a harmonic scream, there's a long, slow one in "This Love" that starts at 6:21[CD Time] and runs to the very end of the track. You can also hear me doing a bunch of them in Cemetery Gates', between 6:14 and the end, where I imitate Phil's screams. I love that sort of vocal stuff, but there's no way in hell I can do it in my voice--I don't have that kinda range! So, harmonic screams are my way of singing out, using my guitar instead of my throat--thats why I really dig this technique.

I stumbled onto harmonic squeals when I was dicking around one day. A lot of people think I use a harmonizer or a [DigiTech] Whammy pedal to do them, but I don't; all I use is my bar and some Natural Harmonics. To make the harmonics scream, I first dump my Floyd Rose real quick, hit a harmonic with my left hand while the string is still flapping and then use the bar to pull it up to the pitch I wanna hit.

If this sounds kinda complex to you, don't schiz--it's actually a pretty simple thing to do once you've got the technique down. So, let's learn how to do a real basic harmonic scream in slow motion, by breaking the idea down into four easy steps. Let's use the harmonic that's directly above the 5th fret on the G string 'cos it's a pretty easy one to nail and make it scream up to its original pitch of G. First though, dial up a distorted sound[remember, gain helps harmonics happen] and swtich to your lead[bridge] pickup.

STEP 1: Position your left hand so you're ready to hit the 5th-fret harmonic on the G string with your bird [middle] finger. Then mute the high E and B strings with your left-hand index finger, and the low E, A and D with your thumb by wrapping it around the top of the neck.

STEP 2: Flick the G string with your bird finger and dump the bar down to the pitch you want the scarem to start at. You can take the bar down as little or as far as you want; just don't take it down too far, or the string will die of shock and the harmonic won't happen.

STEP 3: As soon as the bar is dumped, sound the harmonic by lightly tapping the G string directly above 5th fret with your bird finger. While you're doing this, make sure you're still keeping the other strings quiet with your thumb and index finger.

STEP 4: As soon as you've hit the harmonic, release pressure on the bar and let the G string return back up to pitch. As long as you've sounded the harmonic properly, it'll scream up to G."

Thats a small tid bit on the basics of how dime explains he achieves those killer squeals. The rest of the book explains in greater detail how to to make them scream out like a siren, but I figure if you get these basics down you will figure out how to do that on your own.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Last edited by SinisterLefty at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe

Digitech Whammy Club!
Glad it was able to help you out. I highly recommend that book if you are a fan of Dime's playing. He explains a lot of his tricks and techniques in it. It provides a lot of useful information in it.
Quote by Shredlet

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
You're meant to sig me it was a self appraisal!!!
Quote by Aqua Dementia

Quote by WNxScythe

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by Shredlet
You're meant to sig me it was a self appraisal!!!

haha. As you wish. I deem that Sig worthy
Quote by Shredlet

Seriously, the squeals dime does are natural harmonics (at least on the video). I tried them, and they work great, all you need is a lot of gain (otherwise they don't sound as cool) and you NEED to mute the other strings. I can't stress that enough, if you don't mute the other strings (especially the B and high E), you will only get noise.

Just flick the string, dump the bar, tap the harmonic (I recommend the one on the 3rd/2nd fret, it's the highest I could go, also the most difficult one) and bring the bar up.

You can just pick the string, you don't need to flick it. But make sure you flick/pick it hard.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1