Hey everyone, I just wanted to clear up on how to know which key you can improvise on while someone is jamming on a chord progression?

I'm pretty sure it has to do something with modes and such? I wouldn't know, I'm not too fond of theory.

Cheers.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^ nowt to do with modes - safest answer is ask em, tbh. From there, the next thing to do is play and listen. Have a smalll library of licks that sound good (or bad and funny) in all situations, and from there use your ear to find the key. It helps if you're playing something simpler than Giant Steps, anyway.

If the other person is playing on guitar or bass, then watch their hands and use your knowledge of chord voicings and bass lines to figure out which key they're in.
^

So you're telling me to just use my ears? Well, when I do that I screw up the jam session because it sometimes sounds off key. I just wanted to know how this guy kept up with the rythym playing a chord progression.

Thanks.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I have the same problem with my guitar playing. Im great with the Ionion,Dorian and Alenoian modes ,but my guitar playing is still a bit week. If you want find some juicy licks to use for acoustic try using licks from Layla which is in Dm i believe. If you want some nice bluesy licks try cocain which is in E.
Dont worry about hearing the key of song. I just start doing that iv been playing for almost 2 years i have decent knowlege of theory ,but still cant figure that kind of stuff out. I mean once youv been learning songs for so long you kinda can hear them and just guess the key.
Just ask them what key the song's in if you can't work it out for yourself - the pentatonic scales are fairly neutral so they tend to fit pretty safely over most progressions.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pentatonics are a perfect way to start off learning to solo in key. The 5 pentatonic box shapes that go over the neck. They are sort of the beginners guide to working with scales as well, since later on you will see how they are the building blocks in modal scales. If you learn all 5 pentatonic box patterns across the neck, all you will have to know is the key of the jam to know where to start off, then you can simply play licks and run transitioning between each pattern. You will NEVER be out key using the pentatonic patterns as long as you shift the patterns up and down the neck to correspond with the key they are in.

Some of the most famous musicians used pentatonics for their soloing work. The best part about knowing those 5 patterns is that you just add notes to them to create your modal scales. An Example of using pentatonics for building other scales would like using G major pentatonic and G Ionian(major). In the G major pentatonic contains tones 1,2,3,5,6,1(octave) or G,A,B,D,E,G.

Now by adding Tones 4 and 7 we can turn the major pentatonic scale into the G Ionian scale. By adding the 4 and 7 tones the scale becomes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1(octave) which for G Ionian would be G,A,B,C,D,E,F#,G. You simply added two extra notes to the scale, but it gives it a different feel when playing it now.

I know that isn't what you were asking, but I was just trying to backup how learning pentatonics can not only help you with soloing in key, but also allow you to learn other scales easier, which in turn will help give you more ways to throw more flavor into your soloing.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."

Great indepth reply, sinister.

Yeah, I know all the pentatonic box shapes, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
will somebody tell me these penationic box shapes? that would be great...
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by 812many
will somebody tell me these penationic box shapes? that would be great...

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=C&scchnam=Pentatonic+Major&get2=Get

, have fun, those are the pentatonic major boxes.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Pentatonic scales are licks that consist of 5 notes, penta being 5...... So the shape is as follows

E-------------------------------5-8-----
B--------------------------5-8---------
G--------------------5-7---------------
D--------------5-7---------------------
A-------5-7---------------------------
E--5-8---------------------------------- A minor Pentatonic..... Add blues notes on A6 and G8, thats the tabs
........./ |
.........| |
.........| |
.........| |
..../ \_| |__/ \
....\__| |___/.......My my...Hey hey
... /__| |___\
....\______ /.....ROCK and ROLL is here to stay.
Quote by tdonat45
Dont worry about hearing the key of song. I just start doing that iv been playing for almost 2 years i have decent knowlege of theory ,but still cant figure that kind of stuff out. I mean once youv been learning songs for so long you kinda can hear them and just guess the key.