I have a fender frontman 25R amp and i want to start getting into bass. I was wondering if i can just use my guitar amp for the moment. will this break my amp? i know it will probably wont sound as good, but my main concern is not breaking my nice new fender amp :P
thanks in advance.
Don't do it
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
this i asked like twice a month, i think we should sticky a blank thread which title reads

NO PLAYING BASS THOUGH GUITAR AMP, NO EXPECTIONS. DONT EVEN ASK!
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
This must be the most often asked question
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Sticky? there should be an 'only bass Q&A LOOK HERE FIRST' thread, containing

'picks ==fingers'
'bass into guitar amp is not advised but can be done'

and anything else that gets asked to death
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Tell them they can do it, but they will incur the wrath of the forces of good in unspeakable ways....
or tell him the story of the marshall MG 15 watt

i had one (i got it for free thats why i owned that shitwad)

and sincei was getting into bass i figured id just plug into that

wrong

dead wrong as it happened

so one day at a band practice i was using it

and it ****ing burst into flame

im not even kidding it caught on fire in the speaker cone

\

then it blew up

trashed the mixing board right next to it and broke our frontmans laptop screen

lets just say that we experienced,,,,,"setbacks"
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
DON"T DO IT!! It will blow the guitar amp
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Hey i know this coulda been answered before... and i did a quick search and didnt find any answers.... but with this bass amp problem thing... is there anyway to prevent it... im wanted as a bassist and i only have a behringer 2X60 watt guitar amp... and i REALLY dont want that thing to blow up so can i do anything like just ease back on the volume or anything... the bass i have is REALLY shit so its not active or anything but its a bass so hey. coz i dont think 10 watts is enough to play with a band.... not until i buy a PA system anyway
Quote by IndieMetalhead
Sticky? there should be an 'only bass Q&A LOOK HERE FIRST' thread, containing

'picks ==fingers'
'bass into guitar amp is not advised but can be done'

and anything else that gets asked to death

Also P or J threads..
I have a Marshall cabinet (for guitar, obviously) and some of my friends say I can plug in a bass amp to it and it will act like a head. But I'm not quite sure if it'll work, some of you said it blows up, I'm not sure if that will happen or not.

I wanted to make sure it was safe before I try it out.

Sorry if this didn't make sense, but what do you guys think? I highly doubt it would work.
The cabinet shouldnt blow up as there is nothing really to a cabinet apart from a few wires, some wood and speakers. As long as your amp is capable of acting as a head, plus you need to make sure that the amp is not over the cabinet's wattage rating otherwise it will damage the speakers
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It's not a good idea.

If you want to play the bass, then buy a bass amp.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
I don't have money for a new bass amp, but I have a really big Marshall amp so I was thinking I could just use thay instead of buying a bigger amp.

Do you guys/girls think the cab could handle the low frequency from the bass?
It might be able to, there is no definate answer. If you don't mind destroying it try it, if its expenisve/care about it don't do it.
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
I got an old 4x12 cab for free, ran my bass through it and it sucked really, it works, but i didnt get the tone i wanted out of it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by the glue man
I don't have money for a new bass amp, but I have a really big Marshall amp so I was thinking I could just use thay instead of buying a bigger amp.

Do you want your "really big Marshall amp" to blow up. If so I advise to continue on your current path. Who knows, it might work out perfect. Or it might blow the speakers and fry the amp. I like to play stuff on the safe side. Now who's coming over for Russian Roulette?
Quote by the glue man

It won't hurt the amp unless it is one of those little 15/25 watters then it could overheat the output stage; it's you speakers that will suffer if they aren't proper bass speakers
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by tiant
what about a small peavy practice amp?
Think about a small car engine being put into a Truck/lorry, watch it overheat.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by the glue man

it wont work

bass amps are configured for lower frequencies that bass guitars produce but normal guitars dont

itll destroy your cabinet

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

Quote by tiant
what about a small peavy practice amp?

is it a small peavey bass practice amp?

if you answered no to that question then no it wont work

Quote by Synyster Gates
it wont work bass amps are configured for lower frequencies that bass guitars produce but normal guitars dont
itll destroy your cabinet

In the glory days of Orange, Marshall, Fender, Hiwatt, Sound City etc very few amps were dedicated for Bass guitar, the most significant thing was, that there were very few if any Bass guitar combos around then, you just bought one of the above heads and a suitable bass cabinet; most Bass cabs were either 15s or 18s, if it was a 4x12 you just ordered one with bass speakers, ie different speaker suspensions that allowed more movement without cone damage.
A 25 watt Bass combo combo being driven flat out by a root note basher to keep up with guitar and drums will posssibly peak at twice its rated output the result possible amp or speaker failure, that is why I constantly slam these so-called 15/25 watt bass combos.
A guitar amp played into a guitar cab will not hurt the amp unless it is low wattge, it is the cab that should have the appropriate speakers.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I use my bass through my guitar half stack all the time (new bass amp on the way) and it work perfect.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by John Swift
In the glory days of Orange, Marshall, Fender, Hiwatt, Sound City etc very few amps were dedicated for Bass guitar, the most significant thing was, that there were very few if any Bass guitar combos around then, you just bought one of the above heads and a suitable bass cabinet; most Bass cabs were either 15s or 18s, if it was a 4x12 you just ordered one with bass speakers, ie different speaker suspensions that allowed more movement without cone damage.
A 25 watt Bass combo combo being driven flat out by a root note basher to keep up with guitar and drums will posssibly peak at twice its rated output the result possible amp or speaker failure, that is why I constantly slam these so-called 15/25 watt bass combos.
A guitar amp played into a guitar cab will not hurt the amp unless it is low wattge, it is the cab that should have the appropriate speakers.

yea thats what i mean

he was talkin about his cab not the head

the head will be just fine

What about the other way around a guitar through a bass amp. My brother is always plugging into my amp(its only a 20 watt pratice amp) so I was wondering if thats as bad?
Quote by RNG
What about the other way around a guitar through a bass amp. My brother is always plugging into my amp(its only a 20 watt pratice amp) so I was wondering if thats as bad?

see thats the odd thing

a bass amp can handle a guitar because guitars produce the same high frequencys

its guitar speakers that cant handle those lower waves from a bass

although anyone who knows more than I is free to call bs on that because im not 100% sure

Quote by Synyster Gates
see thats the odd thing
a bass amp can handle a guitar because guitars produce the same high frequencys
its guitar speakers that cant handle those lower waves from a bass
although anyone who knows more than I is free to call bs on that because im not 100% sure
Just about correct, it requires more energy/watts to produce bass frequencies, you can see the speakers move quite a lot when playing low notes on a bass guitar, this requires a different edging/surround/suspension around the cone of the speaker front and rear.
Many famous people down the years have used Fender Bassman amps for guitar, Buddy Holly & Eddie Cochran for instance. It wasn't until the 70s that proper dedicated Bass amps became common before that as I said earlier Bassists usualy used a guitar head with a bass speaker loaded cab.
I've uploaded a rather poor shot of my 70s rig which was an Orange Graphic 120 watt all tube/valve, this was the standard guitar amp but played through a 2x15 Bass cab via my trusty 65 Jazz Bass
Attachments:
John's Gear2.jpg
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 30, 2007,
So what I'm getting is, that if the guitar cab is at a low volume, it could work? And say it's about 100 watts, and the bass amp this will be used as a head is about 20.

I might not even try it if it seems too risky, haha.
I play my bass through my peavy backstage guitar amp all the time,its only 10 watts but atleast I can hear it...I just dont go above 4 or 5 on the volume though.