I really want a good Gibson SG but the money's not there... though I hear Epiphones have a good deal of the Gibson's tone and can be modified (new pickups, action alterations etc) to sound as or almost as good without having to spend £800?

Need some advice from a pro really! I've asked guys in shops but they seem more focussed on selling up or what time their shifts end.

The kind of sound I'm looking to roughly get is something like Eddie Hazel/ 70's Frank Zappa - aggressive and trebly but melodic and full of midrange (if that helps). Any advice would be MUCH appreciated

Edit: Oh, and I read the 'READ THIS' thing before someone jumps at me... I'm just looking for some good info about Epiphone and how it may be modified. It's my first guitar that isn't a bass.
Last edited by UpliftMofo at Jan 25, 2007,
Have you tried a Gibson SG Special? I used to have one, and a damn fine guitar it is too. I paid £400 for mine used.
£400's kind of the limit I'd want to spend - I need to grab a good amp on top of the guitar. I could check ebay though. How does the tone compare to the standard SG?
I really recommend checking Thomann Cyberstore, You'll get better value than you;ll bargain for over there
well im not a "pro" lol but ive tried the two different guitars, the thing is for me...well yeh obviously gibson sg IS better than epiphone no doubt bout that but when i played them both i was thinkin to myself, is it £300 better?...i dont really think so to be honest, but seems close enough and quite affordable....like the guy who posted before me said try the thomann cyberstore, they got some good prices...and if u want to get the sound to change abit, try the line 6 pod, u can get most sound outta that thing
Quote by chrismorris
I really recommend checking Thomann Cyberstore, You'll get better value than you;ll bargain for over there

I bought my last guitar form there adn I was impresed with the deals as well as the service, worth a visit
Thanks for the website, seen some very nice offers on it. The Epiphone SG-400 with the maestro tremolo for £267 looks like amazing value... I think I'll have to settle for something under £350 and get a good amp. I'm willing to modify the epiphone a bit too if it's worth it.