i really wanna try and write a metal riff but every time i try its too soft or slow, and if its not it just doesnt sound metal, does any one have any tips for writing metal?

if so thanks
tune to drop d
play on the bottom two strings really fast on the first few frets

:P
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
just play,
Play other peoples riffs to see how they are structured.

Check out the classic riffs of that make a metal song.
Jackson DK6
Epiphone Gothic Explorer
Washburn X Series
Randall R50TC
Peavy 100 watt solid state Amp(Early 1990s no idea on model)
Digitech Black 13
Digitech Death Metal
Boss Digital Delay, Noise Gate, Floor Tuner and Phaser
tune to drop d
play on the bottom two strings really fast on the first few frets

:P

my guitars usually in drop C...nobody call me a nu-metal fan, i just prefer that tuning...and i can still play crazy train in the tuning

just play,
Play other peoples riffs to see how they are structured.

Check out the classic riffs of that make a metal song

ill try but i have chek that sorta stuff out but, ill look again
I don't get it. Metal is the easiest thing to write. I don't know how to tell you how to do it. Kind of a weird question. Why not just write what comes natural?

I grew up listening to the Beatles and Metallica. A weird combination, but it allowed me to see the quality of music in other genres and kept me from being so focused and boring. Perhaps you just need to listen to something outside of your normal CD rotation - something drastically different.

Maybe it's just me, but that usually works. If I try to write what I'm currently listening to, it always sucks. If I'm listening to Zeppelin, I have a tendency to write metal. When I listen to Tool, I have a tendency to write lighter rock.
i listened to metallica for a long time, and everything i wrote then was very minor-ish. now i listen to like fountains of wayne and foo fighters, rhcp, oasis, lighter stuff and my writing is a bit punk-y.
Quote by cheames
neither is great. The Fender is bad though, unlike the Behringer which sounds so bad that it makes you want to stab out your own eardrums with a blunt pencil . hope that was helpful.

Guitar
Expert
I think mixing up some chunky rythms with simple enough leads (in the same riff) can be the beginning of a decent and simplistic metal riff. Drop your tunning (not required), whether it be Drop D, C, B or even Standard C sharp, and fret a regular power chord on the low 3 strings, strum it a few times, mixing it up with palm mutes to make it sound chunky, and then screw around with three notes in a scale. You'll be surprised of how good it could sound.

ex:
Drop D: Strum open D chord , palm mute it for 2 triplets, then for the lead part right after use fret 5, 7 and fret 8 on the 5th string (second lowest), and those same frets on the 4th string (third lowest). Just screw around with that to begin with, you can throw in other power chords you think sound good aswell, like an E, and F (2nd and 3rd fret on 3 lowest strings).

Thats the best explanation to a simple metal riff that I could think of.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded