I'm currently learning Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers, and the main riff is like this:

e---------------------
B---------------------
G-4b6r4-2h4-2h4-4b6r4-
D---------------------
A---------------------
E---------------------

The trouble is, I can't get the G string to bend from 4th to 6th. Is there any way around this, or will I just have to slide it like I have been doing?

Also, there's a part in the solo like this:

e------12-----12
B-12h14--12h14--
G---------------
D---------------
A---------------
E---------------

That repeats a few times, but I can't do the string changes fast enough. I've been playing for nearly 3 years, and this type of solo is one of only a couple of things that's holding me back, so I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Quote by TJ1991
I'm currently learning Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers, and the main riff is like this:

e---------------------
B---------------------
G-4b6r4-2h4-2h4-4b6r4-
D---------------------
A---------------------
E---------------------

The trouble is, I can't get the G string to bend from 4th to 6th. Is there any way around this, or will I just have to slide it like I have been doing?

Also, there's a part in the solo like this:

e------12-----12
B-12h14--12h14--
G---------------
D---------------
A---------------
E---------------

That repeats a few times, but I can't do the string changes fast enough. I've been playing for nearly 3 years, and this type of solo is one of only a couple of things that's holding me back, so I must be doing something wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

unless you're playing on an acoustic, there should be no reason why your strings don't bend a whole step... and even on an acoustic, a whole step isn't that much. Try "reinforcing" your bend by using two fingers, or even three to push the string.

As for that little solo lick, you shouldn't have much trouble with that after three years... just bar the 12th fret on those two strings with your index finger, and as you're hammering down on the 14th, just pick your E string, and repeat. Start slowly at first, find the pattern and the groove of the lick, and just keep repeating it until it sounds right.
Do you mean you cant do the string changes in just this part fast enough? cause I would just hold my first finger on the top 2 strings there at 12 and just hammer and 14 with my ring finger. cuts out string changing. and all I can say is just keep practicing the bends, cant help ya there
Ibanez SAS36FM
VOX AD100VT
Barracuda Stratocaster
Kustom Solo16 amp
Vagabong 6-string Acoustic guitar
Yamaha 12 string Acoustic Guitar
Its the picking thats the problem with string changes, I've got the left hand part nailed. I haven't learned economy picking yet, and I have a feeling thats how JDB plays it. I can just about do it tremolo picking but it doesn't sound right.
you might be trying to bend the strings a little too much, i found it actually benefited from a smaller bend, and often a deceptively small bend works. as for the solo part, alternate picking maybe the answer, but as those guys said just keep repeating it.
Got the spirit, but lose the feeling
I've been trying what you've all suggested for, what, 10 minutes? And I'm already noticing the difference. Thanks a lot guys, massive help.
with the lick, just bar your index finger on the 2 top strings on the 12th fret as said above.... after hammering the 14, lift your ring finger off but keep your index muting the back of the 12th fret so it doesn't ring out... i'm saying the back so it doesn't ring out as a harmonic. while that's muted, just "roll" the lower part of your finger tip to the high e string.. really easy. After only a few months of playing, it only took about a half-hour of practice to master a 3-string roll on the 15th fret.