hi. i would greatly appreciate an accurate definition of a scale and possibly an example to back it up if you would. I've been playing bass for about half a year without theory and after reading other forums have realised the importance of it. i know the notes and am moving onto scales but as i can only seem to find decent scales about electric guitar on forum searches and lessons i would appreciate some help here. i apologise in advance if i have missed a link to scales anywhere and if so could you please just post me that thread.

hopefully someone can help and thankyou in advance for those who do.

cheers,
ahh divorce--the process in which a woman rips a mans heart out through his wallet - Robin Williams
In my opinion,i think scales for electric guitar works the same for bass as with any other musical instrument.scales are like a foundation of music,it is like a guide when youre composing to which notes/chords sound good in relation to the note/chord before it or to be followed by it.and also it gives you an idea what you are playing.but dont take my word for it though.i have been playing on and off for 4 years now but im not that heavily educated in thoery.so try to search it in the web.you can try this site www.wikipedia.com search for 'musical scale' hope you can find the answer there.goodluck!
Scales are scales, just use guitar scales and forget about the B and high E string. Voila, Bass scales
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
thankyou both very much. angstridden that was the definiton i was looking for and your both right electric guitar scales do work if i cut off the high e and b. again thanks for your imput greatly appreciated
ahh divorce--the process in which a woman rips a mans heart out through his wallet - Robin Williams
there are no "guitar scales" or "bass scales". a major scale is the same whether you play it on your bass or from your anus. this is why people should learn the intervals of scales and not just the fingering pattern.

try going on scaletool.com, download and basically spend a few weeks learning some stuff.
thanks applehead and fbsa i have the answers i need now. thanks for all the help guys.